84 replies to this topic

#81 Dan Brown

Dan Brown

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBradley Beach, N.J.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

+1  JWELLS

I'm now 60, my biggest obstacle is memorization at this point.  I'm still working a full time, somewhat stressful job, that adds to the problem as well.

That being said, I can even begin to describe how much I have learned from Steve, this course, and all the great people on this forum over the last

2 1/2 years !!  Keep picking, strumming and having fun !!!

Dan Brown   :electricguitar:

"SO MANY RESOURCES, SO LITTLE TIME!"                                           Fender Squier Strat MIM   1993                                        Fender Mustang II Amp 40W
Learn and Master Guitar Session 20                                                         Yamaha FG 400A Acoustic Guitar                                   Fender Frontman Amp  25W
Song Hits Session 7                                                                                       Charvel 625C Custom Acoustic Electric                       BOSS eBand  JS-8
Spotlight Series Blues Guitar Session 3   
                                               Harmony Meteor semi-hollow body circa 1958           Fender Champion 600 Amp 5W 

Epiphone Limited Edition ES 355

STUDENT OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2012                                                 Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus

Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II

Martin backpacker  

Martin DRS2 Acoustic/electric 2014

#82 kay3628

kay3628

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Thank you Steve and slwiegel for your encouragement.  I fit into that slot very easily... 

I am 55 and just started session 1.  My fingers hurt, and I seriously struggle with C and C7 chords..  But after a day, the fingers hurt less and not as exasperated with the chords. 

My reasoning for learning guitar is:

1. Cheaper than a Harley.

2. Time to take playing air guitar to something more concrete.

3. At work I listen to Pandora and gravitated towards blues, and rockabilly.  I want to play Johnny B Goode one day in front of others and blow them away!

4. I find happiness in this...  we all need to be happy about something otherwise life can drag you down.

5. Watching Steve on my 55" wide screen is much more enjoyable than the news or the stuff on TV today.  (don't worry I wont suddenly show up)

I'm currently using my daughters acoustic guitar until I buy my semi-hollow body rockabilly guitar later next week.  My aunt gave me a guitar some 40 years ago and I couldn't play this thing to save me.  Failed the class.  But I've had it kicking around the house all these years.  Come to find out it is a steel slide guitar built in the 30's and I should have taken much better care of it!  So I've come full circle and after much research and speaking with many other players, I am glad I chose this course...  Looking forward to hearing of your trails and successes...

Thank you...

Scott

Joined July 18, 2014

Learn & Master Guitar:   1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20

Learn & Master Blues:    1,2,3,4,5,6

Equipment

Mitchell MX400 Acoustic

#83 Sweety Cheeks

Sweety Cheeks

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • LocationLondon England

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thank you Steve and slwiegel for your encouragement.  I fit into that slot very easily... 

I am 55 and just started session 1.  My fingers hurt, and I seriously struggle with C and C7 chords..  But after a day, the fingers hurt less and not as exasperated with the chords. 

My reasoning for learning guitar is:

1. Cheaper than a Harley.

2. Time to take playing air guitar to something more concrete.

3. At work I listen to Pandora and gravitated towards blues, and rockabilly.  I want to play Johnny B Goode one day in front of others and blow them away!

4. I find happiness in this...  we all need to be happy about something otherwise life can drag you down.

5. Watching Steve on my 55" wide screen is much more enjoyable than the news or the stuff on TV today.  (don't worry I wont suddenly show up)

I'm currently using my daughters acoustic guitar until I buy my semi-hollow body rockabilly guitar later next week.  My aunt gave me a guitar some 40 years ago and I couldn't play this thing to save me.  Failed the class.  But I've had it kicking around the house all these years.  Come to find out it is a steel slide guitar built in the 30's and I should have taken much better care of it!  So I've come full circle and after much research and speaking with many other players, I am glad I chose this course...  Looking forward to hearing of your trails and successes...

Thank you...

Scott

Thats a Great Story . Hi and Welcome, hope you have Great success this time around :biggrin1:   PS if that was a Slide guitar your aunt bought you back in the day you wouldn't have stood a chance , the action on the strings would have been a Mile high , now wonder you could not play it .   :biggrin:

OH WELL

#84 Hu_Nu

Hu_Nu

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:42 AM

I'm 58 and just started the course. I took lessons for about a month when I was 8 years old. I'm really excited about learning to play and will try my best to do what's necessary to become decent. I'm disabled and have more time to practice. Just want to be able to play a few songs that I like...it may never happen but I'm gonna give it a go. If nothing else I'll be giving my fingers and mind some exercise. Wish me luck.

#85 Snuggs

Snuggs

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

• Administrators
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, N.Y.

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:46 AM

Welcome Newplayer. Enjoy the journey...I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

L&M Guitar & Bonus 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
2 Acoustic flattop dreadnoughts custom made by Hubby
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
eBand JS-10

Roland Micro Cube GX

Line 6 Floor Pod Plus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users