• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 Russco

Russco

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThirroul, NSW, Australia

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

How lucky to share this with so many people. Doesn't get any better than this.

inspired even more than before.

Russco

#42 RatherBeInCabo

RatherBeInCabo

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

...that I was too old to play guitar.

This sounds a lot like me...All my life I have loved music and attended concerts since I was in elementary school (first one was Canned Heat in the late 60's). I always bought the latest releases in records by all the greats as I was growing up and spent many hours hanging out in record shops in the early 70's. The thing I loved most in music was a blazing blues rock influenced lead and there was plenty of that back in my high school days.

About a year ago or so, my teenage daughter decided she wanted to play drums and so I was interested in music, I was all for it. I bought her a nice set, all the best cymbals and hardware and she started taking lessons. I sat in on the lessons with her and as I observed, I realized it was something I could do as well so I started the drum lessons as well.

Then on labor day last year, I took her to Guitar Center to buy some new sticks and when we first walked in to the store that had a huge display of Squire Strats on sale for $99 and she commented that that might be fun to try. Well for $99 and I already had a small amp for the eDrums she also had, it could not hurt to give her a try at that. The guitar never hit it off with her and the drums were also fading so I decided to check out some guitar instruction videos on YouTube and found out that I could easily learn some chords and get some decent sounds out of that cheapo guitar. After having it for several weeks, I decided to give it a real go so I actually took that guitar back and bought a G&L 30th Anniversary Legacy, Peavey Valve King and Marshall MG30 for myself. Spent a lot of time of free online sites and learned a lot of bits and pieces but it was nothing I could really put all together. I kept searching for months for the correct learning method and even tried several teachers but nothing clicked other than some online stuff. I kept looking at L&MG and seemed interesting. Yesterday I decided to see if Guitar Center had it available and lo and behold they had one available so I picked it up. So after looking it over and learning about this support forum, I have finally found my path to being able be on some stage somewhere, someday...

Had it not been for my daughter having that initial interest in drums, I would not be here today. Her interest in drums is long gone so now I have 2/3's of a band at my disposal and when I get good enough on guitar, I am sure I will be able to find someone to make use of the drums along with me!

Oh and by the way...just turned 53 last month.

Marc
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

G&L 30th Anniversary Legacy Strat, Yamaha FG700S, Peavey Valve King 112, Vox AC4-TV

#43 KarenB

KarenB

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJuniper Hills, California

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

I am NOT a codgetay old timer; I am a 78 years old L&MG guitar studen who never gets tired of repeating this poem written by Joe Anonymous:

No insult intended - I can assure you. In fact, I owe you a big "Thank You."

People sometimes think you answer too aggressively on some of the issues posted. However, your no BS attitude was an inspiration to me on more than one occasion and helped push me to do what I needed to. Your life has been much harder than mine in the past year - yet you persevered and continue to play and learn. I admire that.

And, I wasn't kidding when I said that you inspired me to get started with this course in particular. I really was trying to tell myself that guitar was for young people only - a foolish attitude at best. It just takes us old farts a little longer to get started in the morning...

Heck I feel like I should thank you both. JWells for inspiring slwiegel who started this post which will encourage me not to give up. I'm 43 just around the corner from 44 and I have to remember I'm not too old to start and to endure and overcome the self imposed challenges I'll be and are facing learning. Slwiegel, loved your "I used to think..." thank you so much for posting it.
Me:
It's all about the music and a little more
Yamaha FG700S, Korg X3, Nikon D90, Glock 19, Harley Deluxe, Fatboy and a knitting fool
Proud Mother of an Army Vet
Currently in session: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#44 Ron aka Columbo

Ron aka Columbo

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationHolly Springs , Georgia

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

Welcome this is a great course with lots of support. Heck I am 56, 4 guitars, two amps later I am still just a beginner but having a ball. I talked my wife into playing keyboard also bought the course and have the drum course sitting in a drawer waiting until we finish or for my grand kids.. Enjoy your journey and don't forget to get lots of TOYS! Its all FUN and keeps the mind young!

Ron

MY GUITARS
 2004' Fender American Stratocaster,  2013' Eastman T386,  1994' Washburn D-10,  2008' Takamine EAN 40C,  2015' Fender CD 60CE
 2015' 1966 reissue Ephiphone SG 400 Pro, 2016 Squier Classic Vibe Tele

MY AMPS
Fishman Loudbox 60 amp, Roland 40GX amp, Fender Mustang 1 amp

Looking for more toys !

#45 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Yes,

This is one of the best threads in the entire forum.

You are never too old to learn. Let me say that again. You are never too old to learn.

Even in the last 10 minutes I have received emails and posts from an 88 year old man thinking he's too old to learn and 43 year old KarenB's post about feeling too old to learn.

Here's the voice that plays in all of our heads... "Well, I'm an adult. I'll never really be able to learn anything. You really only learn things when you are a kid or a teenager. Anyone who thinks they can truly learn as an adult is just kidding themselves."

I work with adult learners publicly and privately every day and I have not found this to be true.

I want to be always striving to be learning to do something new. That's what makes living a joy - the discovery of new things, and new things that you can do.

On a personal note, my own parents who are currently in their late 70s, say comments to the effect of "Well, you never know how much longer I'll be around. I don't really want to start anything too long-term."

Learning is something you do for yourself. Of course, the end result is part of the goal but the journey to get there is part of the goal as well. And the journey of learning music can be much more rewarding than you can imagine. The amazing transformation of a person from a music "consumer" to someone who makes music on their own is an amazing one that I'm honored to watch and nurture every day.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this amazing process with you.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#46 Grog

Grog

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

I used to think too, I gave it up for Lent..... :tunes:

Great post by the way. Being an old fart myself, thank you for the encouragement. This ole brain can use it.

#47 Darby

Darby

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDent MN, USA

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

Well writen, this is helping me so much, I read it over a
and over to encourage me to continue! ! ! ! !

#48 akrose

akrose

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationOrillia, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

Heck, what a great time to have come across this posting. I had a very discouraging practice session last night (one of the few nights this week I will get to even think of touching my axe). Was down on myself doing the self doubt thing afterwards and most of today. Reading through the chain from start to finish on this chain of posting has definitely encouraged me to continue trying. Thanks for everyone who has contributed to the great insight in their posts!
One day I will learn to play a song...

#49 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

Yes, this is one of the most important threads in all of the discussion board. I'm glad it got bumped.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#50 earth47

earth47

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationHuntley, Illinois

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:39 AM

Steve, I 2nd that. jimmy. Young jimmy.

#51 John V

John V

• Members
  • 1,934 posts
  • LocationSunny Central California

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:08 AM

Great thread!
The general attitude is, "I want it, and I want it now!" But it really takes years if your going to do it right, and a lot of kids just don't want to take the time to work on it and see where it comes from, and how they should apply it and use it in playing their songs. It doesn't make any difference how technically good you are or fast you are or how many notes you know; you just can't do it in two years.
- Johnny Winter

#52 JLW

JLW

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

As I read your post, I chuckled to myself saying to myself how many times have i used one of these excuses... Thanks for the reminder that we can get through this with a little dedication. Good to hear that you have made it and thanks for letting me know I can as well.

#53 groove311

groove311

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

I'm thankful and I am so closed minded I didn't realize 90% people here persevere and battle and it's a total war with the guitar every day.

Steve said the weak won't cut it, the dreamers and wannabe's won't cut it.

And yes, I am one too but I persevere.. sometimes I feel all with depression take my meds but I still get up and try.

I was laughing at some posts cos some guy said that practicing seemed like a burden lol
but now, I don't laugh, it's very serious that we need strong minds.

Believe it, I graduated from basic training and AIT in the army and those months
were torture every day.. minutes seemed like hours over there and drill sergeants yelling at everyone
but I made it like 90% of them do, graduated, came back to civilian life and the army paying my bills through college.

Guitar is harder because 90% quit and 10% persevere to make it the last moment till they get their goals.

Piano is heck a lot easier than guitar. And the learning is way faster. Reading music from day one.
You don't need much practice. I believe was about 12-13 yrs old when I became intermediate.

As you progress, you will see it gets MORE challenging, exercises take longer to "master" and muscle memory
is much more needed than before because the exercises are more challenging for example, palm muting. I was depressed
because I practiced my hands off and I would still be nervous and not confident. So I keep battling everyday like some of u do.

A lot of people here are challenging themselves. I am afraid to say some of u even me I'm afraid..

U can become depressed with guitar cos u get to stay home alone and practice and practice and less social life if u practice a lot.

I have 5 more years of lessons to go. 80mins daily. I am on fire. I will be on fire for along time it seems, according to my teacher.
I wanna say sorry I feel bad man for some here like they are about to die battling a war with LM&G.

It's reality and that's how it is. Most of you and I will learn guitar the hard way. U will be telling ur mind to do things
that ur body don't wanna do cos the mind is weak but the body is strong.

I really really think 95% of us here will experience the symptoms and stress of working hard practicing hard.

Finally, conclusion, if you have to get up at 4am and practice guitar for 2 hours just do it. Your mind is weak,
it needs to become stronger. Life is tough.
Daniel
Piano lessons for 2 years
Private guitar lessons since 8-3-10
with teacher Patrick very proud

#54 gerry-bare

gerry-bare

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationKissimmee,Florida

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

This is for all you young ones on here.
Today I will order the L&MG and maybe someday you will see me on you tube or some other channel.
Maybe even playing for monday nite football. I understand there is an opening there.
It is time to get back to my guitar, never too old. I will turn 72 next month
Gerry
:electricguitar:

I am NOT a codgetay old timer; I am a 78 years old L&MG guitar studen who never gets tired of repeating this poem written by Joe Anonymous:

No insult intended - I can assure you. In fact, I owe you a big "Thank You."

People sometimes think you answer too aggressively on some of the issues posted. However, your no BS attitude was an inspiration to me on more than one occasion and helped push me to do what I needed to. Your life has been much harder than mine in the past year - yet you persevered and continue to play and learn. I admire that.

And, I wasn't kidding when I said that you inspired me to get started with this course in particular. I really was trying to tell myself that guitar was for young people only - a foolish attitude at best. It just takes us old farts a little longer to get started in the morning...

Heck I feel like I should thank you both. JWells for inspiring slwiegel who started this post which will encourage me not to give up. I'm 43 just around the corner from 44 and I have to remember I'm not too old to start and to endure and overcome the self imposed challenges I'll be and are facing learning. Slwiegel, loved your "I used to think..." thank you so much for posting it.

#55 a lad afar

a lad afar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

Wow!

I agree with many that this is one of the most important posts on the forum. No doubt it was written from the heart, and you can feel the sense of accomplishment from the writer. And I didn't feel one hint of "I did it, but you probably can't". No, it's filled with words of encouragement. There is wisdom in those phrases that tell you you may have challenges but you can and will succeed if you put in the practice.

My old Guild D50 had been in and out of it's case, I don't know how many times since I bought it in 1973. A few years ago I was talking to an entertainer in Narita, Japan and he asked me where I kept my guitar at home. I told him it was in it's case in the closet. He told me that I'd never learn to play unless I took it out of the case and put it on a stand next to the TV or computer, whichever took most of my free time at home. That was good advice, but this post is loaded with tons more.

I've changed a phrase that I say to myself. No longer do I say, "Well, I HAVE to practice". Now I say, "I WANT to practice". That difference in mindset is important to me!

I plan to return to read this post often. Really glad it's been "pinned"!

Thanks, slwiegel!

#56 Little Joe

Little Joe

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationBenton, LA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

As you can see I go by Little Joe.. Older Brother who as he referred to himself "Dead Joe", was a self taught guitar player at the age of 15. Well unfortunately "Dead Joe", passed away a few years ago. He left me his Gibson Melody Maker. Shortly after he died I purchased an amp to go with it, and started to try an play. It fizzled and I let die for a few years. Well, I am here to tell you that I purchased the learn and master series a few weeks ago and I am now on session two and heading steadfast into Session 3. My wife and my daughter surprised me on my 54th birthday with a down payment on a new acousitic guitar... So I can't quit now... so Steve keep up the good work and thanks for doing what you do to keep us motivated and to my decease brother.. I will play you my favorite song one day soon.... and just in case you guy want to know it is "Great White Buffalo" by the wackmaster himself.. Ted...

#57 Scratching an itch

Scratching an itch

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

An older post with timeless advice.... Thanks for putting that out here.
One of life's greatest blessings is a true friend.
My grandkids, I think, are God's way of rewarding me for all the stuff I went through raising 4 kids !!!!
Gibson L&MG session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#58 Jude&Katz

Jude&Katz

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

Being a newbee and just starting the course BOY! do I know what to expect!!
Sounds like words of wisdom to me. THANKS.
I think I'll have that engraved on the back of my guitar. :electricguitar:
Only as high as I reach can I grow.
Only as far as I seek can I go.
Only as deep as I look can I see.
Only as much as I dream can I be. ~ Karen Ravin

L&M Guitar Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
The Song Hits Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#59 gpgee

gpgee

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

im 17 years old, currently moving to session 5..
thanks for this, i'll practice more and am dreaming to be a great guitarist, a great musician :D
thank you so much, everyone :DD but for now, im still a newbie (i think) hahaha
Succeeding doesn't mean happiness, but
happiness means succeeding....

#60 pacmktg

pacmktg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationModesto, CA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:39 PM

Let me add my story. In 2010 my sister came over for Thanksgiving dinne and brought her guitars. I did not know she had gotten back into playing. She was working with a group at her church and was now playing at the services. I had played a little in high school. I picked up her second guitar and tried to remember how. It was fun and my mother had a ball watching us and singing along.

Thanksgiving 2011, I had purchased a new Taylor 214 shortly after the last Thanksgiving and this course and had been practicing. We once again got together and had a great time. A couple of weeks before Christmas my mother mentioned to me that she was jealous of my sister and I playing and that she thought she might want to try a Ukelele.

So for Christmas I got my mom a Ukelele and a beginners book. We will see what happens next Thanksgiving. By the way I am 55, my sister is 60 and my mom just turned 86. You are never too old.

Bob

PS My wife just got me a Fender amp for Christmas so now I get to annoy the neighbors.
Life is uncertain, eat desert first.
Taylor 214ce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users