Feedback on Legacy Days Guitar Gathering 2009

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sonshiner

Sonshiner

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

I agree completely and heartily with Katie's (kt6strings) pluses and deltas and so many of the compliments offered regarding how awesome this year's gathering was. From the amazing guest artists who were so gracious and inspiring to Steve's patient, encouraging and humorous teaching, I got so much out of the entire event. A highlight for me was also the All-star guitar night. I will not forget the excitement and inspiration of being at such an event. Additionally, the friendships I made I will treasure and look forward to staying in touch throughout the year and renewing in person at next year's gathering (and meeting new people as well :) )

I would change very little except some good suggestions about the white board for info and the 8 on 1 sessions having people 'audit' without instruments or creating other group sessions to occur at the same time to offer people other options and keep groups smaller. Being able to arrive on Wed, I thought free time in the evenings was nice and volunteer drivers generous to take those of us seeking downtown interests there and back. Hanging around the room after sessions helped people plan for dinner together or outings to downtown, but the whiteboard should help with this.

I don't know how Legacy will top this year's event, and I think word of mouth will bring a larger crowd next year. I am looking forward to it.

#2 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

[quote]Just my opinion, but Legacy can only do so much - nothing's stopping the community from organizing other activities outside of the events Legacy sets - as a matter of fact if nobody does that it is just missed opportunity.[/quote]
I agree with this completely. I spent an evening in my hotel room by myself, not because of any lack of planning on Legacy's part but because I did not get with folks and make plans. I think even Adele would have had a harder time arranging stuff this year due to the bigger crowd and the fact that many folks who attended were/are somewhat infrequent visitors to the forum.

[quote]There were ad-hoc Jam sessions in different folks rooms almost every night - and I suspect there was plenty of that this year, too. [/quote]
I don't remember that at all. Your room usually had one happening but I don't remember anyone else saying that they jammed in a room in the evening. One evening folks went downtown to BB Kings, another night was the outdoor concert, and other nights I remember large group(s) hitting nearby watering holes.

This year I only remember one in my room one night (only 3 of us playing (and Ascoli recording)) and one in the hospitality suite another night.

[quote]If I am taking just the face value of some posts, it looks like in the process of Legacy organizing this "official" event, some of the original spirit of the first Gathering got lost.[/quote]

That is bound to happen when the event gets bigger and more people show up. There is just no way to recapture that spirit of the smaller event. For example it would have been really hard for the entire group to go have dinner together in a restaurant like we did last year.

For my part the two biggest things I would say that Legacy might need to address.

1. Limit the 8 on 1 sessions to 8 on 1. I counted something like 20 people with guitars in the first 8 on 1 session. Despite the fact that Steve did his best to focus on those signed up it was confusing and I would have to think intimidating for those he asked to play something.

2. Secure the hospitality suite for the entire event and find a way to keep it open so that people could go in and out at will. Having that room lock every time the door shut limited its use.

#3 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

I think Bing may have hit it on the head regarding ownership of the event last year. BUT Steve did ask for someone to be 'adele' as I was not going to be there this year.
Yes I was the organizer on site last year so I felt I had to be trying to make sure that everyone had a good time and to let people know what was happening and where.
The whiteboard was something I had arranged with the hotel before I arrived and it worked very well, although we could have done with a bigger one or even two, one for notices and one for messages.
I had put the lists of people subscribed to the 8 on 1 sessions last year, did lists get put up well in advance this year?
I think it does need more student involvement in the none Legacy side of the event, as has been said Steve and Legacy can only do so much and their involvement had to be with the 8 on 1 sessions, the Master classes and artist liaison.
I hope to be there next year and will willingly take on the out of hours liaison re whats going on etc.
Adele

"Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

Finished the course and now teach it.

http://www.reverbnat...om/celticshadow

http://www.reverbnat...x/artist_412374

#4 Bing

Bing

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

Guys,

I was sorry I missed this years Legacy Days. If I am taking just the face value of some posts, it looks like in the process of Legacy organizing this "official" event, some of the original spirit of the first Gathering got lost. That is not a criticism of Legacy at all - they put together what appears to have been an awesome agenda. I think where I see a big difference is, since last years Gathering was originally organized by students, students really felt a sense of ownership and control and were very proactive in communicating and coordinating things to do outside of the Legacy-sponsored agenda.

The 8-1's last year really were right around 8-1 - and folks were still hesitant to play something for Steve. On the flip side, folks from seasoned to true beginniners stepped up and played in front of everyone at the student concert - and I think that was considered one of, if not the single best part of last year's Gathering. We had the same issue of what do while others were in session, but for some reason I just don't remember that anyone had a problem finding things to do or people to do them with. There were ad-hoc Jam sessions in different folks rooms almost every night - and I suspect there was plenty of that this year, too.

The suggestion for a whiteboard or some other way for the group to communicate with each other is right on - that appears to be one big difference from last year. Besides the bulletin board, I think the one thing that helped most with communications last year was the smoking area in front of the hotel. Whether you smoked or not you could drop into the smoking area most any time of day (and a lot of the nights) and find out what, if anything, was going on - we even took advantage of the smoking-area regulars to pass along messages to each other :D

Just my opinion, but Legacy can only do so much - nothing's stopping the community from organizing other activities outside of the events Legacy sets - as a matter of fact if nobody does that it is just missed opportunity. I'm not saying folks did not do this, but it's obvious from the comments there could have been more if it. I think if you take the program Legacy put together this year and the proactive attitude from last year, next years could take it up yet another notch.

See You on the Boards and Next Year in Nashville!

Bing

#5 jwalker

jwalker

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

[quote]Jan, I agree with your downsides, but all and all, I did have a pretty good time. I did not know you were sittin' by yourself wishing to jam. I spent a good part of the weekend asleep simply because I needed more sleep than I was getting and I didn't know where anyone was. To my knowledge, there was no meeting place or bulletin board so I had dinner alone on several nights and went out looking for music by myself a couple of nights.
I also carried (and wore) my earplugs. If I never hear Johnny Highland again, it will be all right with me. Loud does not translate for me! I did enjoy Jack Pierson until he invited his band back on stage. Then HE was too loud and I had to get out. I hope you'll be back next year.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments Warren...I think a whiteboard, like some have already mentioned would help eliminate the "meet up" confusion.

BTW...I can tell you for certain, both Johnny and Jack sounded heavenly as long as you had 30db ear foams snuggly in place :D
Jan

The Luthier Lady!

Somewhere over the rainbow...
Get Plek'd!
Come visit my little piece of Luthier Heaven :-)

#6 Warren-tx

Warren-tx

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:44 AM

Jan, I agree with your downsides, but all and all, I did have a pretty good time. I did not know you were sittin' by yourself wishing to jam. I spent a good part of the weekend asleep simply because I needed more sleep than I was getting and I didn't know where anyone was. To my knowledge, there was no meeting place or bulletin board so I had dinner alone on several nights and went out looking for music by myself a couple of nights.
I also carried (and wore) my earplugs. If I never hear Johnny Highland again, it will be all right with me. Loud does not translate for me! I did enjoy Jack Pierson until he invited his band back on stage. Then HE was too loud and I had to get out. I hope you'll be back next year.
A rut or a groove, the difference is attitude!

#7 jwalker

jwalker

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:26 AM

I agree with kt and Eddie on most of what they said.

The 8 on 1's were way too well attended. Whether they are done in multiples or singles next year, I think anyone who wants to sit in who's NOT signed up for the session, should not bring their instruments with them. Just come in and observe. Having that many people in the rooms with all that extra equipment was a little intimidating and made for being a little cramped for the ones of us signed up and trying to listen/learn something. Besides, all the time of the class was taken up with hearing the people who were on the list of that class, and rightly so. The people that were there to observe ended up doing just that, so they didn't need their instruments.

Eddie's comment about a lot of the stuff being over the head of us beginners was right on too. About mid day Friday, I just put my guitar back in it's case and left it there for the rest of the time. Everything I was attending, I was unable to follow anything they were doing. It was all mighty nice to listen and aspire to though :)

I am in the habit of practicing every day. I was really looking forward to doing A LOT of playing/jamming with everyone else during this conference. The only night I did a lot of playing with other students was after the early bird session on Wednesday night. I really learned a lot in that short period of time. I looked for people to jam with on the following nights and couldn't find anyone. Heck one night I ended up sitting in the ballroom by myself back in a corner trying to just diddle around, hoping someone would come in so we could jam. Nobody ever did, so I just gave up and went home.

One other thing that needs to be worked on is the amount of space each attendee has to have to be able to sit in all the sessions (with instrument in tow) and not be poking their neighbor in the ear. This wasn't Legacy's fault. Just the hotel's common practice of piling in as many people as they can in the available chairs, even though there's no physical way a normal (American) person can sit comfortably in a chair that is butted up to the chairs right next to them. Inevitably, most of us are going to "leak over" onto our neighbor! :shock:

I didn't get to see any of the student showcase because I was waiting on Greg to set up my guitar. I know I could have just left it for him and gone on, but there were specific questions I needed to ask him while he was setting it up. By that time he was at least 1 1/2 hours behind, so I just ended up spending all the showcase time in where he was doing set ups. Maybe next year I'll be able to see the showcase in its entirety.

The only other thing that was annoying was the sound level for Johnny, Jack, and Orleans classes. It was WAY too loud for such a small room. This may just be me but I ended up carrying ear plugs with me the rest of the weekend. Otherwise, I would have been deaf by Sunday! (really, really, glad I took them with me to the All Star guitar Night... yowza!:shock: )

With all that said.... I really did enjoy myself. And meeting so many people with so many different backgrounds was a treat. I've already got my ear plugs polished up and ready to go for next year! 8)
Jan

The Luthier Lady!

Somewhere over the rainbow...
Get Plek'd!
Come visit my little piece of Luthier Heaven :-)

#8 Eddie N

Eddie N

• Members
  • 1,870 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

I too crashed almost all of the sessions, but it was mostly because there was nothing else going on. What I saw as a negative about it was some students asigned to the 8:1 session elected not to play something for Steve, I atributed this to stage fright in front of so many others...

As for more sessions, the large open area where we had lunch could be set up with 4 -5 groups of chairs for less formal group sessions...Not sure if the hotel would charge for this area...

No matter the negatives, the event was great! and posting within this "topic" can only improve next year's event...Thanks for asking.
Sing to him a new song;

play skillfully, and shout for joy.

Psalm 33:3

#9 kurtoneill

kurtoneill

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPasadena, MD

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:02 AM

[quote]

Lastly, and I know this may be cost prohibited, hold the event in downtown Nashville. Really get a feel for being in Nashville.

Paul[/quote]

I am with Paul here. I would rather pay more per night to be downtown Nashville. I ended up going there 3 nights anyway and paid $12 for the shuttle bus. I know the NAMS convention was going on at the same time and I am sure they took a ton of the rooms downtown this past year.

#10 kt6strings

kt6strings

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:09 AM

Guess many of us "crashers" at the 8 on 1 sessions (I'm guilty) were just too darn thirsty for guitar knowledge to sit them out. And, true, there were no alternative sessions to attend.

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. As long as it's clear that the 8 on 1 sessions are intended for individualized instruction for those who signed up, it seems to me the rest of us can sit in the audience and listen--like auditing a master class. It seemed like it worked out ok, from my vantage point.

Also, multiple ongoing sessions = more rooms, more instructors, and probably more $$$. The $200 price tag for the Gathering was very reasonable, and appealing to me.

~kt

#11 John B

John B

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:37 AM

[quote]was there anyone that didn't get to all the sessons?
or did almost everyone make it to ever sesson?[/quote]

The group guitar lessons were open to everyone. Steve tried to give everyone some individual time by listening to each of us play and offering some advice. He would focus on the people who signed up for that particular session. :)
John B
Repeating course with Bonus DVD's

#12 John B

John B

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:26 AM

[quote][quote]I like your delta's Katie! [/quote]

That's the first time anyone's ever complimented me on my delta's! :wink:

Thanks![/quote]

:lol: I liked your comments. :wink: :lol:
John B
Repeating course with Bonus DVD's

#13 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:18 AM

[quote]was there anyone that didn't get to all the sessons?
or did almost everyone make it to ever sesson?[/quote]

I skipped the morning workouts in favor of breakfast.

And I only popped my head in a few of the 8 on 1 sessions. They were so crowded that I did not even take my guitar to the one that I was scheduled to be a part of.

The problem with the 8 on 1 sessions is that there was no real alternative to them. Nothing was scheduled at the same time so that folks not signed up for those sessions had nothing else to do but crash the sessions.

The hospitality room worked out okay but the fact that there were only a handful of keys meant it was not utilized as often as it could have been.

The real shame of the setup was that there were no seats in the area where we had the catered lunch. It would have made a very good place to just hang out and visit and play.

As for free time to explore I know that folks made an evening visit to Downtown on Thursday night and Jeanne and I went down there Sunday night. I think if you want time to explore Nashville a little you really should plan on extending your stay a day longer or coming in a day earlier.

#14 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:01 AM

was there anyone that didn't get to all the sessons?
or did almost everyone make it to ever sesson?
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#15 Pablo58

Pablo58

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGold Hill, Colorado

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

First of all, I too thought the Gathering was great and a huge success. The LMG team is amazing.

Second, I agree with Eddie about the small group sessions and having more of them. I talked with Steve at the picnic and suggested that perhaps some of the more "advanced" members could be used to run some of these sessions. Maybe have morning breakout sessions of groups focusing on Session 1-4, Session 5-6, Session 7-9, Session 10, Session 11-20 or some similar mix. It would be incredibly helpful to have 2 or 3 of these sessions. Then the Gathering could be part gathering and part guitar camp.

Lastly, and I know this may be cost prohibited, hold the event in downtown Nashville. Really get a feel for being in Nashville.

Paul
If Mastering the Guitar was easy they would call it Guitar Hero.

#16 kt6strings

kt6strings

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

[quote]I like your delta's Katie! [/quote]

That's the first time anyone's ever complimented me on my delta's! :wink:

Thanks!

#17 Eddie N

Eddie N

• Members
  • 1,870 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

1) have the small groups to be just small groups, not everyone else in the room too. And have more of them.
It wouldn't have to be with Steve, maybe a sesasoned guitarist from this group or Legacy...(speaking as a beginner)

2) have something more for the beginner. Most everyone I met in or below session 5 still had some experience playing the guitar or music in general.
I am NEW to all this and a lot of info/lingo went right over my head...not sure if I am alone in that...nor will it be a problem next year, but for anyone else NEW.

Having said that. I still enjoyed myself. I enjoyed meeting all of you, and it has encouraged me to seek out guitarist locally to hangout.

I dind't leave Nashville w/o some very useful info. Greg was great at teaching and I spent several hours with him like a 3 year old asking why this & why that.

As soon as they set a date and accept applications for the next gathering I will sign up!
Sing to him a new song;

play skillfully, and shout for joy.

Psalm 33:3

#18 MikeM

MikeM

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

Allowing for free time was the reason why I made the 50 room reservations for an entire week surrounding the 'core' days. I explained to the hotel management that not everyone was going to stay the entire week, some would arrive early and some would stay later than others and that not all of the rooms would be used for the entire week, they didn't have any problems with being flexible with each individual schedule.

MikeM ♫

groups.yahoo.com/LMGuitar

#19 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

Chefman

One thing I doubt would ever happen would be a lack of support.
The Idea of a get together had been talked about a few times before Mike and I bit the bullet and organized last years Gathering. we too were worried we would not get enough support but we had about 40 people there including Spouses last year and this year was even better attended by the looks of it.
I agree that from the outside looking in the schedule looked as if it was a bit packed and didn't leave time for 'going out' it was the other way for ours as Steve and Legacy only did two days last year so we had the Thursday and Friday nights to go places as well as time during the days.

Still you are never going to satisfy everyone all the time.
Adele

"Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

Finished the course and now teach it.

http://www.reverbnat...om/celticshadow

http://www.reverbnat...x/artist_412374

#20 Chefman

Chefman

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:01 AM

Great thread here Katie, and I couldn't agree more with the comments already posted.

Just an incredible event, all the way around. Steve, Gabriel and everybody at Legacy that worked very, very hard on this behind the scenes, thanks very much again. It was just top notch.

I think your idea of a message board or communication system for jamming or going out to dinner, or people who want to go to Gruhn's or the other guitar shops is brilliant. I did hear a few folks say that the schedule was almost too packed, and didn't leave enough time for folks to explore Nashville. That was one of the few negatives I heard.

A group picture would have been nice, as I had to leave early and couldn't be at the picnic and the Sunday class.

John and Tom's previous comments about how this one can be topped is one that I would echo. Legacy set the bar pretty high and cleared it with ease. It would have been amazing without the All Star Guitar Night, but with that included as well? Unbelievable. My friends that I have told about this are tired of hearing me blather on about it, but I can't stop myself.

Greg Voros in his workshop talked about goodie bags with string winders or polish or strings or something like that, and that would have been a nice touch. Not that I am complaining about the free Blues Course, mind you!

When I originally registered, I think I was the 10th or 11th person to register, and I was kind of worried that there wasn't going to be enough participation, and that it might get cancelled for lack of support. I am glad my fears were unfounded. I think everyone that I talked to and met were some of the nicest folks, and I really enjoyed the camaraderie.

I hope to see all of you again next year, because I am definitely signing up for this again.
Gibson CS-336 Tangerine Burst
Valley Arts Brent Mason Signature
Fender Strat Plus
Fender GE Smith Telecaster
Epiphone Elite J-45 VS
Epiphone Elitist Tak Matsumoto Les Paul
Epiphone Nouveau 12 String
Epiphone Dot MIK
Epiphone MM-50 Mandolin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users