62 replies to this topic

#41 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

[quote][quote]
The flight costs to Nashville leaving Aberdeen on the 1st July are £631 with KLM whereas to New York are £551 however if I leave on the 30th of June they are about £200 cheaper for New York and £120 for Nashville.
So from my point of view first weekend in July would be better and at the moment KLM is the cheapest option for me.
But I don't know how that weekend would suit people on the North American continent?
[/quote]

Adele,

July 4 is a major holiday in the US. Thus the reason for the higher price you mentioned on July 1. Usually at least 2 days prior and 2 days after the 4th (depending on whether the 4th falls on a weekend or not) the flights are more expensive for everyone, foreign and domestic.

Nashville is a major airport hub IF you fly Southwest Airlines.

Just to make a suggestion...some of the overseas people have mentioned flights to Atlanta have better fares.

Atlanta is only 3 hours away (driving) from Nashville. Depending on whether you planned on renting a car or not, it might make economic sense to get the cheaper flight to Atlanta and drive up to Nashville. It usually doesn't cost any more to rent a car in Atlanta than it does in Nashville, as long as you are returning the car to Atlanta when you leave.
I am from the eastern part of TN. Our local airport is small and usually costs more to fly out of. Lots of local people do the 3 hour drive to Nashville or Atlanta to get cheaper fares. Even with the cost of gas and maybe an overnight stay, often times it's quite a bit cheaper to do it this way.[/quote]

Oh bother I forgot about the 4th of July silly really because I am often the one to be first wishing you all happy 4th of July.
It must be the case that it also signals the start of the summer season for flights because after the 1st of July they are all up around the cost I mentioned if not higher.
I was hoping that Barbara (K9Kaos) ad I could drive together from New York but of course that depends on when the dates are and if she can get the leave from her job.
Of course if flight prices stay the same as they are now I may not be able to afford it again next year.
Adele

"Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

Finished the course and now teach it.

http://www.reverbnat...om/celticshadow

http://www.reverbnat...x/artist_412374

#42 jwalker

jwalker

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:41 AM

[quote]
The flight costs to Nashville leaving Aberdeen on the 1st July are £631 with KLM whereas to New York are £551 however if I leave on the 30th of June they are about £200 cheaper for New York and £120 for Nashville.
So from my point of view first weekend in July would be better and at the moment KLM is the cheapest option for me.
But I don't know how that weekend would suit people on the North American continent?
[/quote]

Adele,

July 4 is a major holiday in the US. Thus the reason for the higher price you mentioned on July 1. Usually at least 2 days prior and 2 days after the 4th (depending on whether the 4th falls on a weekend or not) the flights are more expensive for everyone, foreign and domestic.

Nashville is a major airport hub IF you fly Southwest Airlines.

Just to make a suggestion...some of the overseas people have mentioned flights to Atlanta have better fares.

Atlanta is only 3 hours away (driving) from Nashville. Depending on whether you planned on renting a car or not, it might make economic sense to get the cheaper flight to Atlanta and drive up to Nashville. It usually doesn't cost any more to rent a car in Atlanta than it does in Nashville, as long as you are returning the car to Atlanta when you leave.

I am from the eastern part of TN. Our local airport is small and usually costs more to fly out of. Lots of local people do the 3 hour drive to Nashville or Atlanta to get cheaper fares. Even with the cost of gas and maybe an overnight stay, often times it's quite a bit cheaper to do it this way.
Jan

The Luthier Lady!

Somewhere over the rainbow...
Get Plek'd!
Come visit my little piece of Luthier Heaven :-)

#43 Resurrected

Resurrected

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, United Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

It must be the type of people you hang around with Mr Wenting. I have many friends and colleagues who holiday in the USA and none of them have ever been refused entry or had a problem with the TSA.
http://www.re-warwick.co.uk/

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right - H. L. Mencken

The blues are the roots; Everything else is the fruits.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

#44 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

JW is right about the flights being the main cost for those of use coming over from the UK, Europe and beyond also the stronger dollar is a factor for us in the UK.
At the moment its about 1.5 Dollars to the pound whereas it was 2 last year and that 50 cents makes all the difference.
It would also fit in with those who want to go to CAAS the weekend after maybe? But I don't know how that weekend would suit people on the North American continent?

As for the TSA I didn't have any problems with them going or coming back, but I did have TSA preferred locks on my suitcase and my SKB case for the Gibson. IF I was going to get any problems I would have expected it to have been on the way back because of the guitar and I would have expected it in the UK not leaving the US.
Adele

#45 Warren-tx

Warren-tx

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:45 AM

A lot of cameras were going off for a group photo at the picnic. I've yet to see one anywhere, but would appreciate having a copy. Can someone point me in the right direction or send me a copy? Thanks.
A rut or a groove, the difference is attitude!

#46 jwenting

jwenting

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:21 AM

The main cost factor of the thing that prevents people from attending is airfare.
And half that (for those coming from Europe) is the domestic US flight from their point of entry to Nashville.
For example: Amsterdam-Nashville costs twice as much as Amsterdam-New York or Amsterdam-Atlanta.

Not sure how it is for American visitors, but it wouldn't surprise me if most of them would also be a lot cheaper off if the location were near a major international airport.

Another factor, and one that's gotten more and more a problem for foreigners visiting the US over the last several years, is the ever more out of control TSA who are by now detaining (or if they're lucky just refusing entry) people entering the US indefinitely and seemingly at random. This is making a trip to the USA a bit of a lottery, and not one a lot of us are willing to engage in.
That's not something Legacy can easily change of course (though an official letter of invitation from a corporate entity can often go a long way to ensure border guards that you have genuine business in a country), unless they were to move the location to say Vancouver or Toronto (which would expose Americans to the same TSA on trying to get back home).
In the frozen land of Nador they were forced to eat Robin's minstrels, and there was much rejoicing.
Dungeon 4 resident banshee

#47 BluzCruz

BluzCruz

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

I'm with Chefman....I think the talent was more available because NAMM was in town. I like the notion of aligning with that. Also, the All Star Guitar Night was cool and I'd like to do that again!

As to hotels & locations, I favor the cheaper rates and thought the hotel this year was a good location with easy access to airport, restaurants, and more.

I thought the ballrooms were good, the hospitality suite was a good touch, and my only grievance was the hotel didn't have room service or a wine glass to loan me for my room. Luckily Wal-mart sells wine glasses for six bucks for a set of six. I left them with the front desk so next year they will have one (or 6) to loan me. Thus, we must stay at the same hotel again. And I'm glad I was able to make that decision for everyone.

:P

BluzCruz

#48 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationFar South Coast, NSW, Australia

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Summer NAMM next year is June 18-20. Nashville.

#49 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

Bad choice of words Res, you are right you got a better deal on line, sorry.
But my point is that to be in a downtown hotel would cost a lot more per night.

For example the Sheraton is currently advertising at $125 per night
Best Western downtown convention centre is $85, OK comparable with the hotel used this year. but if its anything like the Best Western we used last year I would run a mile.
Doubletree is $124 per night.
There are probably cheaper and more expensive hotels around downtown but ......the other thing that needs to be considered is conference/meeting type rooms.
I would have expected that these rates would have been higher during NAMM.
Also I suppose I am looking at it as a British tourist and cost is a big factor while the rate of exchange is still not good and I doubt it will get better by next year.
Adele

#50 Resurrected

Resurrected

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

[quote]Doesn't NAMM occur in a different location each year? If so then NAMM wouldn't necessary clash with a third weekend in July event. IF that was the weekend Legacy went for.
However we did look at downtown Nashville hotels last year and thought they were a bit too expensive but of course Legacy being a local 'company' might be able to swing a deal same as this year?[/quote]

They never 'swung' a ggod deal this year. You could book a better rate on line than that given to Legacy. Unless of course I missed something changing.
http://www.re-warwick.co.uk/

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right - H. L. Mencken

The blues are the roots; Everything else is the fruits.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

#51 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

Doesn't NAMM occur in a different location each year? If so then NAMM wouldn't necessary clash with a third weekend in July event. IF that was the weekend Legacy went for.
However we did look at downtown Nashville hotels last year and thought they were a bit too expensive but of course Legacy being a local 'company' might be able to swing a deal same as this year?
Adele

#52 Chefman

Chefman

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:15 AM

I think part of the scheduling deal that has to be considered is the NAMM show is in town at the same time, which is why we were able to get the pros for the master classes/concerts, and All Star Guitar Night. So from Steve's perspective, getting pros of different styles, with wonderful teaching skills..what better time than NAMM week? That schedule is set in stone because the NAMM show is so big. NAMM being so large would preclude doing the event downtown, like a few others suggested in another thread. All the hotels and convention space downtown is overrun that week.

It would be wonderful to meet some of our friends from across the pond at the Gathering next year, so anything that makes it easier for you guys, I am for it. Cheers!
Gibson CS-336 Tangerine Burst
Valley Arts Brent Mason Signature
Fender Strat Plus
Fender GE Smith Telecaster
Epiphone Elite J-45 VS
Epiphone Elitist Tak Matsumoto Les Paul
Epiphone Nouveau 12 String
Epiphone Dot MIK
Epiphone MM-50 Mandolin

#53 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:56 PM

I think there is a double trick on this...
Our schools over here in the NA continent get out roughly around June30 (some vary, Uni/College get out around May, High schools around early/mid-June)
Summer (June/July/Aug) is usually when most get vacation time.
Mid to late Aug runs into school starting and Steve does have school age kids.
Sorry UK/Oz

Also as you pointed out in the chat room and I saw the post that our mentor is a bit occupied at the moment and doesn’t sound like a quick resolve on this one this time.

P.S. I know better than say "count me in" as I did this past year.. there is always something to derail me along the way.
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#54 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

For CAAS..Membership is $20 for you, $25 for Overseas. Convention is $145. I'd pay that in a heartbeat if I was going to make it a couple of weekends in Nashville flying from Australia...

I'm not a memeber...yet... and I don't know how many LMGs went to both, but all I can say is that if the two events were on consecutive weekends it would be added incentive for me to make the trip.

#55 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

[quote]Just how many other people in the group besides Tom attended the CAAS conference? My understanding was that you have to be a member, and, while I love Chet Atkins and would like to attend the conference, I can't see paying for a membership just for that.

I am asking because, based on the conversations here, it seems like there are a lot of people who belong to the CAAS and would like to attend both events back-to-back.

Mike[/quote]

I don't think that's strictly true Mike, CAAS came up because scratcher was asking when it was and if next years Gathering would be close to the dates for CAAS.
I wouldn't want to be going to CAAS as well as a Gathering even if I was a member which I am not.

I think its was more a case of trying to second guess Legacy because this years Gathering followed the weekend after CAAS. But it could be a totally different perod of the year next year.
Adele

#56 Compustein

Compustein

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Just how many other people in the group besides Tom attended the CAAS conference? My understanding was that you have to be a member, and, while I love Chet Atkins and would like to attend the conference, I can't see paying for a membership just for that.

I am asking because, based on the conversations here, it seems like there are a lot of people who belong to the CAAS and would like to attend both events back-to-back.

Mike

Guitars
Taylor 518e First Edition # 58 of 100
Samick Beaumont D712 Dreadnaught 12 String Guitar
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS w/ S1 switching
Taylor Baby M(ahogony)
Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE
Cordoba C7 classical guitar
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Amps
Orange Crush 10W Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini 60W Acoustic Amp
Vox Valvtronix VT-40+ Modeling Amp

#57 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

[quote][quote]I would like to wait until the date of the Chet Atkins Appreciation society convention is known so the two events could be piggy backed together, as they were this year.[/quote]

CAAS is always the second weekend in July.[/quote]

Cool. The CAAS website says "mid July" IIRC. Anyway if its always the 2nd we in July then LMG should be locked into the week following that weekend. That would be joy.

#58 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

[quote][quote]I would like to wait until the date of the Chet Atkins Appreciation society convention is known so the two events could be piggy backed together, as they were this year.[/quote]

CAAS is always the second weekend in July.[/quote]

Thats useful Info Tom we shall have to see if Legacy shoot for the third weekend in July next year.
Adele

#59 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

[quote]I would like to wait until the date of the Chet Atkins Appreciation society convention is known so the two events could be piggy backed together, as they were this year.[/quote]

CAAS is always the second weekend in July.

#60 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

[quote]I would like to wait until the date of the Chet Atkins Appreciation society convention is known so the two events could be piggy backed together, as they were this year.[/quote]

Yes I can see how that would be an advantage to you coming from OZ.
Problem will be is that if dates are left until towards the end of the year it starts to get harder to find really cheap flights. OK they will never be really cheap because it will almost certainly be around the same time as this years. I guess we shall have to wait and see.
For examle IF Barbara and I were driving down next year from New York I can get flights to New York for around £350 at the end of June which is as far as I can look at the moment. When I was looking back in March for this year a flight was around £500. So the earlier the better for us in the UK.
Adele

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users