Photo

Greg Voros Guitar Setups (More Slots Available!)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Tied

Tied

• Members
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:04 AM

GREAT photos .... The second guitar I ever owned was an early-mid 70's D-35. If it still exists, it's about 35-years-old.

Except for the pick guards, I don't use the Carnuba wax on the acoustics, but I do on the solid-bodied electrics. (Actually, it's [url=http://www.picreator.co.uk/][i]RENAISSANCE[/i] Micro-crystalline Wax Polish[/url].) Luthiers don't like it because if they have to make a finish repair, it's really hard to get off. If you never mar your guitar, then there's no problem, right?

Once the swirls and rashes are gone, I attack 'em with [url=http://www.virtuosopolish.com/][i]Virtuoso[/i] Premium Polish and Cleaner[/url] (two items). It's a little pricey, but the safest and best stuff I've been able to find.

Cleanings are usually only when I first get a guitar. Polishing happens about once a year. In between, I just use a microfiber cloth. I have a small spray bottle that I put one-or-two drops of liquid Ivory dishwashing soap in, fill with distilled water, and shake to mix. Occasionally I'll mist the microfiber cloth before I wipe down a guitar. Unfinished fretboards get cleaned and conditioned maybe twice a year.
For all that is holy, CHANGE YOUR STRINGS!
Posted Image
My gnome doesn't lie. S-12

#2 Stargazer55

Stargazer55

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationEastern, PA

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:07 AM

Here you go Shock :) :

[img]http://su2bba.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pEAr3UuZZn8SCIbkzayGOBVPY2_U_3x5PxluLBZe3CUhyCh9KWdJKGiTDBOU07aSEDNqHvz1KVIeOajDM5slfQ5TGY10dy8vk/HD35%20Quad.jpg[/img]

[img]http://su2bba.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pKsWHvM9mTP78vGnLxkgYEWP0jX7cOIm7GfRo3R6YpXH6Hhi2sJJYE9jIo77sXxvya3yDfrqCtygcVGNezSzxE1FlQpvHfA0s/HD35%20Triple.jpg[/img]

[b]Tied[/b],

I have a couple of jars of that cream "GUITAR FINISH RESTORE PLUS". I used it on the back & sides of the HD 35 in the pictures above. It had a "rash" or haze of very fine scratches on the back of the right side of the upper and lower bouts and this stuff took them right off and gave it back its high gloss look. All I had to do was rub it on in a circular motion, let it dry for about 30-45 seconds and buff it off with a soft cloth (I used a microfiber). I did some areas twice. After that I applied a coat of Carnuba wax. It worked very, very nicely. :D

Greg used the "Gloss Sauce" over the whole guitar when he finished working on it. The gloss from it is not quite as glossy as a wax and I think it was this that caused the large scratches on the top near the neck & soundhole not to contrast too much with the rest of the nice finish. You have to turn the guitar at an angle now to really see them well. From the angle of the bottom pic it looks almost like the scratches are to the bare wood but they're not. Not too bad for a 21 yr. old guitar. :)

Tom

#3 PepVol

PepVol

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLenoir City TN

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:06 AM

[quote]Brian,

Greg shipped my guitar & I picked it up 2 nights ago. Wow! :D The guitar was made in ’88 and it almost looks brand new. It would look brand new if it weren’t for the pick scratches near the fret board from a heavy pick used by the previous owner and Greg even made it so you have to look hard to find them! :D

He dressed the frets (what a beautiful fret job!) and glued the bridge with hide glue. Now the guitar plays and sounds better than it ever did.

Greg told me that he used Big Bend’s Gloss Sauce on the finish and wow, does it look nice!

The pride Greg puts in his work really shows. How fortunate it was to meet him.

Regards,

Tom[/quote]

That's Awesome Tom !! He reglued my Bridge too and I'm just amazed at how well my Takamine sounds now. I had no idea that my Strat and my Taka could sound so much better with the right " Tweaking " from the right Luthier . He dressed the Frets on both my Guitars too , and it's amazing how much cleaner my sounds are now .
Brian

#4 Tied

Tied

• Members
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

[quote](snip)

[color=red]Greg told me that he used Big Bend’s Gloss Sauce on the finish and wow, does it look nice!
[/color]

Regards,

Tom[/quote]

Great outcome .... Greg appears to be to a guitar, what a [url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bibliophile]bibliophile[/url] is to a book. What would you call that, luth'-o-phile :?: :)

I'd want to ask the manufacturer [b]first[/b] before using it on a Martin, but on my polyurethane-finished guitars I've had really good results with using (hand) buffing paste with a mild abrasive in it from [url=http://www.guitarscratchremover.com/]GuitarScratchRemover.com[/url]. It will gently remove the visual effect of light abrasions such as pick and button/buckle rash.
Posted Image

#5 Shockwarrior

Shockwarrior

Advanced Boarding Party

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

[quote]Greg shipped my guitar & I picked it up 2 nights ago. Wow![/quote]

Pictures!

#6 Stargazer55

Stargazer55

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationEastern, PA

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

Brian,

Greg shipped my guitar & I picked it up 2 nights ago. Wow! :D The guitar was made in ’88 and it almost looks brand new. It would look brand new if it weren’t for the pick scratches near the fret board from a heavy pick used by the previous owner and Greg even made it so you have to look hard to find them! :D

He dressed the frets (what a beautiful fret job!) and glued the bridge with hide glue. Now the guitar plays and sounds better than it ever did.

Greg told me that he used Big Bend’s Gloss Sauce on the finish and wow, does it look nice!

Regards,

Tom

#7 Stargazer55

Stargazer55

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationEastern, PA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#8 Shockwarrior

Shockwarrior

Advanced Boarding Party

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

#9 Stargazer55

Stargazer55

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationEastern, PA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

It's amazing what UV light exposes.

Tom

#10 PepVol

PepVol

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLenoir City TN

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

Very similar to that one , yes .
Brian

#11 Tied

Tied

• Members
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:22 AM

[quote](snip)

If anyone out there Is considering buying an older , antique Guitar , that Is being presented as all original , please contact Greg first before you throw down a bunch of money . He can easily tell you a few things to look for in determining what work has been done to it . He showed me a Martin from the 1940's and said try to find where I've worked on it ... well it all looked the same to me ... the paint all had that older , antique look , but then he turned the lights off and [b][color=blue]with a black light .... wow ... you could see perfectly where the work had been done[/color][/b] . Gruhns has total disclosure on their guitars and would point this out to any interested buyers ... but a lot of sellers may not be so upfront . So , instead of that guitar being a $50,000 dollar Guitar , It's more like a $5,000 dollar guitar .[/quote]

[url=http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Chauvet-NVF4-Handheld-Blacklight-With-Flashlight-?sku=800098]Like this one? [img]http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/4/7/446247.jpg[/img][/url]
Posted Image

#12 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:56 AM

me2 :D

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/
Guest Password is JelloManKent

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#13 Shockwarrior

Shockwarrior

Advanced Boarding Party

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:29 AM

Cheers look forward to them

#14 Ascoli

Ascoli

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hi Shockwarrior,
I have video of most of Greg's class. I should get around to posting it this week. I have been swamped since I returned from the gathering.
Steve
"To play without passion is inexcusable." - Beethoven

#15 Shockwarrior

Shockwarrior

Advanced Boarding Party

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

Did anyone get some videos of Greg Voros at work (setting up guitars) or have links to old videos of him perhaps from last year?

#16 PepVol

PepVol

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLenoir City TN

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

Haha , hey Tom , I thought it was your Guitar , but after I left I thought , wait a second , we have 2 Toms ..... hmmm :D It was great meeting you too Tom , really enjoyed talking with you , and look forward to talking even more next year ! Maybe I'll have my Telescope by then .

Greg said he had played my Strat for the 2 days before I picked it up , he had fell In love with it . He has Guitars , but he plays the ones he works on .... says he Loves falling In love with them after he has brought out the best In them . I think from the Gleam he had In his eye Tom , your Martin Is his next great " Love Affair " !! lol :D

Elvis , If you can hold off till next year , as I said before , Greg Is probably going to bring help next year , and try to do more than just routine setups . I plan on holding off anything I need done till Greg can do it , It will be well worth the wait .

If anyone out there Is considering buying an older , antique Guitar , that Is being presented as all original , please contact Greg first before you throw down a bunch of money . He can easily tell you a few things to look for in determining what work has been done to it . He showed me a Martin from the 1940's and said try to find where I've worked on it ... well it all looked the same to me ... the paint all had that older , antique look , but then he turned the lights off and with a black light .... wow ... you could see perfectly where the work had been done . Gruhns has total disclosure on their guitars and would point this out to any interested buyers ... but a lot of sellers may not be so upfront . So , instead of that guitar being a $50,000 dollar Guitar , It's more like a $5,000 dollar guitar .
Brian

#17 Elvis1

Elvis1

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

Brian,

I envy your closeness to Greg and the guitar shop. He did a tremendous job on my Les Paul, and it sounds and plays as well as you could ever want. I have some others I would really like for him to massage, but don't care to ship them to have it done. I may have just found the only possible disadvantage of living in Texas. He must be the best, and, as you indicated, he treats every guitar like it was his baby.

I agree with you...the price of the function was a STEAL! Hope Legacy came out o.k., so we can have similar prices next year.

-Noley

#18 Stargazer55

Stargazer55

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationEastern, PA

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:43 PM

[quote] Oh btw , Whichever Tom it was who left the Martin Guitar with Greg , he showed me your guitar , and he was proud of how It turned out , it looks Awesome !!
Greg told me to stop by and see him any time I'm In Nashville , that I now have a Good Friend In Nashville and to feel free to call him anytime I may have a technical question about one of my Guitars , or if I'm thinking about buying a new guitar and need advice .

GEE , does anyone else besides me feel like the $200 we spent on " Learn and Master Guitar " was the " Bargain of a Lifetime " ??[/quote]

Hi Brian!

It was great meeting you and your wife, Jayne, at the gathering and thank you for the update on my Martin. :D When Greg looked it over at the gathering he discovered that it had a "poor man's glue job" done on the bridge. Which explains why I got it for over $1K less than the going street price. So, for a hundred bucks to have it done by one of, if not the best, still puts it ahead of the game. I can't wait to get it back.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you that the $200 was a "Bargain of a Lifetime". I also believe that you just can't put a price tag on the heart & dedication that went into the preparation & hard work that Steve put into it. I was also knocked over by the outpouring of our guest instructors. I'm already looking forward to next year. :D

Regards,

Tom

#19 PepVol

PepVol

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLenoir City TN

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

I went to Nashville yesterday morning and picked up my 2 Guitars I left with Greg . Both Guitars now sound like brand new guitars . Greg did an amazing job , and I couldn't believe how much attention to detail he gave both guitars . Greg spent about 2 hours with me going over my guitars and giving me a personal tour of Gruhns Guitars . I got to see Mr Gruhn himself on the 3rd floor and say hi to him . Greg told me he loves being associated with Steve and Legacy because of the " Passion " that Is obvious from all of us . I told him It's a perfect fit because Greg has so much passion about working on Guitars , It's unbelievable . I'm not even all that interested in the " Luthier " aspect of the Guitar , but after spending a couple of hours with Greg , I'm tempted to go out and buy an old beater guitar and start tearing it apart . :D

Greg was like a little kid In a Candy store as he showed me several of his projects he has going on . He really does get the same rush whenever he brings out the best in a Guitar , as we do when we cross a new level in our Guitar playing . He's already thinking about next year , and he'll probably bring some help with him next year , and do more than just the routine setups for everyone there .

Oh btw , Whichever Tom it was who left the Martin Guitar with Greg , he showed me your guitar , and he was proud of how It turned out , it looks Awesome !!
Greg told me to stop by and see him any time I'm In Nashville , that I now have a Good Friend In Nashville and to feel free to call him anytime I may have a technical question about one of my Guitars , or if I'm thinking about buying a new guitar and need advice .

GEE , does anyone else besides me feel like the $200 we spent on " Learn and Master Guitar " was the " Bargain of a Lifetime " ??
Brian

#20 Elvis1

Elvis1

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:17 AM

Steve,
I get lost trying to move through the message boards and threads, and may have put my request in the wrong place. Looks like this may be the appropriate one. I, too, would like to have a guitar setup and will be there and available Sunday afternoon, if a time is available.
-Noley Bice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users