2 replies to this topic

#1 Carol-B

Carol-B

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWA State

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:56 PM

Hi. I'm Carol.

I've been trying to learn guitar for about 10 years now, and STILL call myself a beginner.

It took me a few years to realize that I want to learn fingerstyle guitar. I don't like playing with a pick. At all. I am on my 5th guitar teacher; this last one a master fingerstyle guitar player (he won the national fingerstyle championship in the mid-90s). The problem is, while he has taught guitar for years, he hasn't develped a curriculum to help me advance. Only one of my previous teachers had a curriculum or sorts, and that was because he taught at a university. But, again, 99% of his students were college kids just learning guitar. He doesn't normally teach fingerstyle but did so with me, and in the process we essentially abandoned fundamental guitar! 

Because of the lack of a curriculum with my current teacher, I bought the L&M series. But....the sessions all have students playing with a pick. Steve, if you're out there, I'd love your input on this. How shall I approach the L&M lessons? I did purchase the Fingerstyle 'module' in companionship with the main L&M course, but feel that I should work my way through the main sessions first. Thoughts?

In short, is there a way to learn guitar basics without a pick, using L&M?

By the way, I have gone through twice as many guitars as teachers, LOL! I've finally settled on a Taylor 312CE-N, which means it's a 12-fret nylon string crossover guitar with cutaway and electronics on board (which I never use). And...I'm a lefty, who plays lefty! Which makes reading chord charts VERY challenging, since they are all backwards to me.  :getlost:

Thanks for 'listening.'

Carol

#2 FThomas

FThomas

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAntipolo, Philippines

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

Learning finger style is a challenge, but extremely rewarding. I enjoy acoustic finger style blues and bought a beginning course and the next course from Toby Walker. An amazing musician and the beginning (his other courses as well) are all focused on songs. I would also recommend Justin Guitar Folk Fingerpicking. Lastly, two courses focused on fundamental techniques are

Fingerstyle Handbook 1 & 2 by David Hamburger that is found on TrueFire

And lastly

Acoustic Blues Guitar Fingerpicking and Soloing
Joseph Alexander
Amazon Kindle

As you can tell, I really like acoustic blues. There are some great courses out there. I just ordered the L&M Fingerpicking course and haven't received it yet. I would jump right in and not feel like you have to finish the guitar course first. I think doing both together they will compliment one another

Fred  T

#3 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:54 AM

Carol,

Yes, I'm out here! First of all, please go to our new Guitar Gathering discussion board which you can find here... https://www.guitarga....com/community/

We don't really service this discussion board anymore.  I just happened to check something and see your post.  But the other discussion board is the active one.

Next, fingerstyle is great.  You can definitely learn all of the fundamentals in Learn & Master and use fingerstyle.  You might need to adapt some references to strumming when you get to chords, but the notes on the strings, chord shapes and all of the important fundamentals are all the same.

Also, I did a Learn & Master Fingerstyle Guitar course which you can see here... https://gx169.infusi...ail?productId=7

Once you get the fundamentals down around Session 10 of Learn & Master Guitar then definitely check out the Fingerstyle course.

I hope this helps and thanks for being a great part of our guitar family.  Please join us at the other discussion board.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users