• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#21 jwalker

jwalker

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:20 AM

What a GREAT weekend (+2 days)!!!

Hope I can remember all the stuff once I get back to a regular sleeping schedule. Getting 4 hours a night makes for a little "leaking" of the brain cells :shock:

This was a great group of people to hang out with and learn from. Legacy and Steve did an OUTSTANDING JOB, and are to be commended.

Now... off to try to schedule some vittles time with Johnny! 8)

#22 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:04 AM

I'm glad you all had fun and are arriving home safely. :D

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#23 Jeff D

Jeff D

• Members
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationEast Walpole, MA

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:48 AM

After two nine hour days of driving, one flea bag motel, many fast-food/rest area stops I finally made it home!

What an adventure! In addition to seeing half the country I got to spend several days with some of the finest people I've ever met, all with a passion for music and guitar! Thanks to Steve, Legacy and all those who attended for making this a definite high-point in my guitar learning quest.

So, when are we going to Johnny Hiland's house for dinner? :) What a guy!

I'd write more but I am tiiired! Good night all!

#24 Chefman

Chefman

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:37 AM

If anybody can tell me how to post a slideshow, I would like to share the rest of my pics that I took without blowing up the pages so you have to scroll to read text.

I tried it once, but the only thing that posted in the preview was the code, and not a link or pics. I'm stumped. Oh, well, this isn't the first time this technology stuff has got the best of me.

I do have pics posted at my facebook page, look it up if you like. Michael McCullen. I posted about ten pics there, but theres more.
Gibson CS-336 Tangerine Burst
Valley Arts Brent Mason Signature
Fender Strat Plus
Fender GE Smith Telecaster
Epiphone Elite J-45 VS
Epiphone Elitist Tak Matsumoto Les Paul
Epiphone Nouveau 12 String
Epiphone Dot MIK
Epiphone MM-50 Mandolin

#25 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

[quote]Yea, you're on cloud nine and climbing. I hope it just keeps building until next year. Like I said previously, [b]everyone is going next year[/b]. And thanks for the updates.[/quote]

And like I said previously, "No they're not...". :P

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#26 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

Ah, so this is what my house looks like. Looks like I must have left the Shhh sign in the doorway as the maid never came :D

Great two weeks. Too fatigued to elaborate

Thanks to everyone who helped make the gathering great.

And just maybe this weekend I will try and make a video of what my second song at the concert should have sounded like without the technical difficulties.

#27 Elvis1

Elvis1

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

Just got home, and while sitting here wondering if there is a chance that American Airlines will ever find my lost luggage, I was reflecting on the events of last week. I can truthfully say that in all of my years, and there have been plenty to this point, I have never attended a seminar or learning event where there was any better planning, execution, thoughtful consideration of students, so much opportunity to learn, and plain ole' good times as Legacy Days. What a show by some (by all appearances) tireless folks, who now must be collapsed on a sofa somewhere. Ditto to what everyone has said above. It was too fine to describe, and Kudos to all involved in pulling it off.

My hero has always been Gene Autrey, followed closely by John "Duke" Wayne, but...it is now STEVE KRENZ. What a class act. Thanks Steve (and Legacy and associates).

-Noley

#28 MikeM

MikeM

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

[quote].

I got actual Chills one other time In the last few days , and that was Listening to Tommy Emmanuel play " Somewhere Over the Rainbow " . My Wife was actally moved to tears while he played this song , which happens to be her very favorite song .
[/quote]

I probably would have joined her, was his version better than Iz?

Sigh.... maybe next year
[/quote]

MikeM ♫

groups.yahoo.com/LMGuitar

#29 Resurrected

Resurrected

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, United Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

[quote]Made it home. Had a blast. Renewed old acquaintances - made new ones. Met a few folks from my neck of the woods - hopefully we can start jammin some.

I'll let others give y'all the play-by-play. Suffice it to say it was better than I expected - Steve and the Legacy crew really raised the bar on this one. If there is to be a next year, then go ahead and sign me up.

Much fun was had, and some of us topped it off with a Gruhn tour this morning - sweet.

(Res, we made it to the Wild Horse this time :-) )[/quote]

I hope ya had one or two for me :D :D

Did ya get my email?
http://www.re-warwick.co.uk/

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right - H. L. Mencken

The blues are the roots; Everything else is the fruits.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

#30 kdkoadd

kdkoadd

Mick

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

Made it home. Had a blast. Renewed old acquaintances - made new ones. Met a few folks from my neck of the woods - hopefully we can start jammin some.

I'll let others give y'all the play-by-play. Suffice it to say it was better than I expected - Steve and the Legacy crew really raised the bar on this one. If there is to be a next year, then go ahead and sign me up.

Much fun was had, and some of us topped it off with a Gruhn tour this morning - sweet.

(Res, we made it to the Wild Horse this time :-) )
Waiting on my hands to catch up with my aspirations...

Listen To My Music

Jazz Chords

#31 PepVol

PepVol

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLenoir City TN

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

My biggest regret was missing Muriel Anderson , due to some last minute scheduling changes at work . Other than that though , I'm still in shock at everything we all got to experience . Jack Pearson was a big surprise to me , I really enjoyed his class and his concert . I liked his laid back , subtle sense of humor . He was very approchable too , and seemed to enjoy talking , and taking pictures with us hacks ! lol :D
Johnny Hiland was hilarious , he said several times to his band , " I told you guys I should do a Comedy act " ..... and he wasn't kidding . Hearing him talk about his first trip to a " nail salon " brought tears to my eyes . I'm going to start trying to implement some of his techniques with my scale playing .... mainly using a pick and the second and third finger together to do your scales .

I acually got chills when Orleans first started playing Dance with me ... It took me back to my sophomore prom ( ya , I'm old ) . "Still the One" gave me chills too , but what was amazing about Orleans was to be sitting in such a personal , close setting with them just a few feet from you , and have them talk very openly about all the very personal details of their band ... including the downs , as well as the ups . Most bands would not open up nearly as much as they did about all the inner turmoils that go with having a band that has a few hits .

I got actual Chills one other time In the last few days , and that was Listening to Tommy Emmanuel play " Somewhere Over the Rainbow " . My Wife was actually moved to tears while he played this song , which happens to be her very favorite song . I enjoyed all the artists that played that night , but In my eyes Tommy Emmanuel Is one of those " Once in a Lifetime " performers , very much like one of his heroes .. Chett Atkins .
I'm already looking forward to next year , and will definitely be there again no matter what .
One last thing , Greg Voros Is an awesome guy , and I'm actually going back to Nashville in 2 weeks to pick up my 2 Guitars I left with him . He found things on both Guitars that were a little more work that a routine setup . I don't know any great Luthiers In this area like Greg , so I asked him to do these things for me , and he agreed to , while knocking about 50 % of the cost off too , I might add . And get this too ..... he also said he would give me a personal tour of the Upper levels of Gruhn Guitars when I come back for my Guitars .... eat your heart out guys ... lol :D
Brian

#32 gman

gman

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

Yea, you're on cloud nine and climbing. I hope it just keeps building until next year. Like I said previously, everyone is going next year. And thanks for the updates.

#33 Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady

• Members
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

Sounds like all of you lovely lucky people had a great time in Nashville and I am sure we will appreciate photos, slide shows and videos as and when they become available.
Hopefully Steve and Legacy will be able to come up with dates for next years Gathering in the next couple of months so that those of us who couldn't make it this year can start planning and [i]most [/i]importantly saving for next year.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep the updates coming folks, glad you all had a great time.

Adele
Adele

"Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

Finished the course and now teach it.

http://www.reverbnat...om/celticshadow

http://www.reverbnat...x/artist_412374

#34 Chefman

Chefman

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:32 AM

My mistake. Steve bought a 2006 J-45 with a LR Baggs installed with case and shipping for $1600. The Ice Tea Sunburst Sherry I fell in love with was 5 grand. Sorry if I was unclear about that.
Fender Strat Plus
Epiphone Elite J-45 VS
Epiphone Dot MIK
Epiphone MM-50 Mandolin

#35 Tied

Tied

• Members
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:25 AM

[quote](snip) Steve from LA was buying his new J-45. Only 5 Grand. (snip)[/quote]

Wow .... A sunburst Gibson J-45 was the first guitar I ever bought back about 1969 .... I sold it after a few years to get a Martin D-35, which I in turn sold a few years after that for living expenses. If I'd never sold those two back then, I'd be rich.
For all that is holy, CHANGE YOUR STRINGS!
Posted Image
My gnome doesn't lie. S-12

#36 Chefman

Chefman

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:13 AM

I just don't know what they'll be able to pull out of their hat to top this next year unless it is a field trip to Gruhn's and we all get to take a guitar home on the house.

I know, I know. I'm a dreamer. I fell in love with an Ice Tea Sunburst 1967 Epiphone Sheraton at Gruhn's while Steve from LA was buying his new J-45. Only 5 Grand. My wife says I can't have it. :(
Fender Strat Plus
Epiphone Elite J-45 VS
Epiphone Dot MIK
Epiphone MM-50 Mandolin

#37 John B

John B

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:48 AM

Wow, I agree, Steve hit a home run with this year's gathering! He hit the ball right out of the park! :D I just got home safe and sound about an hour ago with enough wonderful guitar memories to last a lifetime. Everything was just so amazing. I am so glad I went and would not miss this for anything next year. I took some pictures and will post them later. Thank you Steve for all your hard work putting this together. I had a fabulous time!!!! :D
John B
Repeating course with Bonus DVD's

#38 BluzCruz

BluzCruz

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:44 AM

[quote]When we asked Jack about the Gibby, he said he had Gibson do it Custom for him. It is an ES-336, and he had a master volume pot added, and had them shave the neck profile down for his hands. [/quote]

Jack also mentioned he had them leave off the rear body binding, which you can see is absent in the photos.

BluzCruz

#39 Chefman

Chefman

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:04 AM

It was amazing. Thank you Steve, and Gabriel, and everybody at Legacy that worked on this for us. You really hit a home run. A couple of us were joking about when the Gibson guys were going to show up and hand out the new Les Pauls for everybody. I had to leave this morning so I didn't get to say proper goodbyes and thank yous, but I don't know if thanks says enough.

Mark me down for next year right now!
Fender Strat Plus
Epiphone Elite J-45 VS
Epiphone Dot MIK
Epiphone MM-50 Mandolin

#40 BluzCruz

BluzCruz

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

The event was great, with just amazing talent from Jack Pearson, Johnny Hiland, and Murial Anderson. I'm blown away that Steve arranged all these performers to play for us and also share tips & insights.

THANK YOU STEVE, AND LEGACY TEAM - for all the hard work that went into the event - it was all really great!

I'll soon post a blog update and share the rest of my thoughts there.

Ken

BluzCruz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users