• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tom The Piddler

Tom The Piddler

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • LocationCass County, Texas, USA

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

Originally Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:26 PM:  numbers in (  )'s are downloads of the original post.

Octave Notes:  a different perspective of the Fretboard and Staff and Stuff,  by utilizing "Scientific Pitch Notation" and its data.

For all you Guitar and Bass Players,  here are some PDF Files you will want to add to your reference library:

But first, some things you may get from them:

1)    How Octaves look on the Fretboard

2)    How Notes and Octaves apply to the Guitar and Bass Staff,  and how that directly relates to the Fretboard and visa versa

3)    Could help in learning the Notes on the Fretboard

4)    Data for intonation:  the Hertz way

5)    Octave ranges for singers and tuning notes for other string instruments

6)    Actual number of the kind of Octave Notes (Scientific Pitch Notation) on a Fretboard,  and the number of each Octave Note there is  i.e.:  there are 3 G5’s, 4 A3’s etc…  for sure this is just information,  or is it?

7)    Relationship between a Guitar and Piano Music Staff

Everyone needs the following file.  It is the Octave Table with Hz ("scientific pitch notation" and data),  tuning information for stringed instruments,  singing voice ranges and a few other tidbits.  Nothing fancy, 1 page in length.  It also is the foundation for the rest of the files in this post.  Best viewed and printed as Letter Size - Tall.

>>>>    Attached File  Octave and Frequency Table and Other Info.pdf   55.92KB   31 downloads    <<<<   (345)

"Octave Notes - a different perspective of the Fretboard and Staff and Stuff,  by utilizing "Scientific Pitch Notation" and its data."

Total Notes on the Fretboard:    (each 1 page, Letter Size)

Guitar       Attached File  Guitar - Total Notes by Octaves.pdf   30.53KB   30 downloads    18 to 24 Frets  (180)

Bass         Attached File  Bass - Total Notes by Octaves.pdf   25.05KB   22 downloads    21 to 24 Frets  (150)

Fretboard Notes, Octaves, Staff and Hz:  (each 1 page in size,  and are best viewed and printed as Legal Size - Wide)

Right-handed Guitar:

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar - 18 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.32KB   19 downloads    (95)

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar - 19 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.56KB   19 downloads    (185)

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar - 20 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.7KB   21 downloads    (230)

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar - 21 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.95KB   18 downloads    (190)

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar - 22 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   31.18KB   22 downloads    (195)

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar - 23 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   31.41KB   17 downloads    (170)

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar - 24 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   31.65KB   20 downloads    (185)

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar - 24 Frets with Octaves and Frequencies (Hz).pdf   35.41KB   21 downloads  Data for intonation  (285)

Left-handed Guitar:

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar - 18 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.58KB   17 downloads    (55)

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar - 19 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.49KB   16 downloads    (150)

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar - 20 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.64KB   20 downloads    (150)

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar - 21 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.97KB   22 downloads    (175)

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar - 22 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   30.6KB   20 downloads    (155)

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar - 23 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   31.66KB   18 downloads    (140)

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar - 24 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   31.92KB   18 downloads    (155)

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar - 24 Frets with Octaves and Frequencies (Hz).pdf   35.85KB   18 downloads  Data for intonation  (265)

Staffs with Octaves Shown:    (each 1 page in size,  and are best viewed and printed as Legal Size - Wide)

Attached File  Staff - Guitar.pdf   25.33KB   24 downloads    (170)

Attached File  Staff - Bass.pdf   25.23KB   22 downloads    (130)

Attached File  Staffs - Guitar and Bass.pdf   27.88KB   22 downloads    (145)

Attached File  Staffs - Guitar and Bass - Aligned.pdf   79.81KB   20 downloads    (165)

Attached File  Staffs - Guitar and Bass - Combined.pdf   26.64KB   19 downloads  -  the "Grand Staff" with the Piano Staff reference  (170)

Here are the Bass Guitar files...   (each 1 page in size,  and are best viewed and printed as Legal Size - Wide)

Right-handed Bass Guitar:

Attached File  Right-handed Bass - 21 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   28.78KB   18 downloads    (135)

Attached File  Right-handed Bass - 22 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   28.96KB   16 downloads    (150)

Attached File  Right-handed Bass - 23 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   29.06KB   16 downloads    (155)

Attached File  Right-handed Bass - 24 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   29.3KB   16 downloads    (150)

Attached File  Right-handed Bass - 24 Frets with Octaves and Frequencies (Hz).pdf   33.28KB   22 downloads   Data for intonation  (150)

Left-handed Bass Guitar:

Attached File  Left-handed Bass - 21 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   28.9KB   22 downloads     (155)

Attached File  Left-handed Bass - 22 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   28.96KB   22 downloads     (120)

Attached File  Left-handed Bass - 23 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   29.17KB   19 downloads     (135)

Attached File  Left-handed Bass - 24 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   29.23KB   20 downloads     (145)

Attached File  Left-handed Bass - 24 Frets with Octaves and Frequencies (Hz).pdf   33.59KB   22 downloads  Data for intonation. (135)

And for the unique:

Attached File  Right-handed Guitar played Left-Handed - 24 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   32.16KB   19 downloads    (145)

Attached File  Right-handed Bass played Left-handed - 24 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   29.55KB   20 downloads    (135)

And for the really unique:

Attached File  Left-handed Guitar Played Right-handed - 24 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   31.88KB   19 downloads    (150)

Attached File  Left-handed Bass played Right-handed - 24 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf   29.61KB   21 downloads    (155)

> > >   Another approach to our work here,  by utilizing another system for naming notes,  is an excellent web page by James Greenwood, musician and technologist,  titled "The notes on the Guitar Fretboard: Some visualization tools."  James uses the "Helmholtz Pitch Notation" to present his work verses our "Scientific Pitch Notation."  James' work parallels well with and adds to our work we have posted here...   < < <

Side Note:  After using an “A 440” tuning fork for 20+ years to tune Guitars I came to believe the “A” string was at 440 Hz,  and with the use of most electronic tuners,  it was no different.  But with this information age upon us,  a few years ago I learned the “A” string was actually “A” at 110 Hz!  (But not an “A2” yet  (A2 is the "Scientific Pitch Notation" for A at 110 Hz.))  Thus the need to find out more… 

It has been a fun journey,  and one I would like to share the results with you,  as the only intent of theses PDFs is to share where my curiosity has taken me.  Hope you find them informative and useful as well.

Graphic Note:  Used MicroSoft Excel to create these PDFs,  not because of any formula needs (none there),  but because I do not have a graphics program and Excel works for me, and hopefully for you too.  :-)

"Circle of Fifths" chart from our own L&MG Member "JoeD" - ( 1 page Letter Size - Tall )

>>>>     Attached File  circle of fifths - white.pdf   175.33KB   25 downloads      <<<<   ( added 1-11-18 )  (10)

And for the Luthier types, or anyone else, here are some Conversion Tables  (best viewed and printed as Letter Size - Tall):

Attached File  Fraction of Inches To Decimals To Millimeters - 64ths.pdf   20.04KB   22 downloads    (8-27-16: corrected ML to Fl Oz)  (105)

Attached File  Fraction of Inches To Decimals To Millimeters - 32nds.pdf   18.47KB   19 downloads    (8-27-16: corrected ML to Fl Oz)  (195)

Attached File  Millimeters To Decimals To Fraction of Inches - 32nds.pdf   18.79KB   21 downloads    (8-27-16: corrected ML to Fl Oz)  (135)

>>>   And a few external links about Guitar Intonation and Set-Up:

Short, but concise, talk about Intonation by Dana Bourgeois:  http://bourgeoisguit...ews/intonation/

A Guitar is an "Equal Tempered" instrument:  the HyperPhysics Project at the Georgia State University, USA.

A PDF on Basic Guitar Setup101 - Abridged - May 2015.pdf  by Charles Tauber:  2.7 MB.

And Charles Taubers' Unabridged PDF version (really detailed) Basic Guitar Setup 101 Unabridged:  4.7 MB.

StewMac.com's "Fret Position Calculator" and their "Fret Scale Rule Instructions."

Your comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated.

Edited by Tom The Piddler, 08 July 2018 - 12:25 PM.

Happy trails,

Tom

"Now we know stuff" - Jim Simmons, Educator Extraordinaire

#2 Tom The Piddler

Tom The Piddler

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

Originally Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

I don't understand this but I can see that you are very knowledgeable.

Sherry,

Do not feel lonesome!  Knowledge can be like beauty,  "it is in the eye of the beholder,"  and if it is in front of my eye, I am knowledgeable.  :biggrin:

Wow Tom, it must have taken you ages to post all the stuff above.

I do not understand it either. But I hope that one day I will!

Thank you for doing it.

Mandy

Mandy,

Did not take to long to post,  but did take awhile to create them.   :laugh:

.......................................................................................................................

Sherry and Mandy,

You are the first to respond to the this post,  and your comments are very welcome.

But I am very concerned about your "not understanding it."

The material presented is meant to be just for information/understanding...  It has very little, if any, Guitar Lesson value to it.  But I do believe they have value.

For instance,  take the "Right-handed Guitar - 20 Frets with Octaves and Staff.pdf" from above (typical Acoustic Guitar).  It shows the Fretboard and Treble Staff together.  (I have never seen the two presented together in whole before, until now)  Then I added the Octave Notes (colored for easy identification) to the Fretboard to match the Treble Staff.  So now you have a Fretboard and its' Treble Staff with all its' notes identified, and visa versa!  Then add up the notes:  Unique = 45;  Total = 126 (from above "Guitar - Total Notes by Octaves.pdf").   So there are only 45 notes on a 20 Fret Guitar!  They just seem to be scattered everywhere, and most of them more than once,  and when all added up, there are 126 of them!   (Not at all like a Piano... Hey Mandy?)

Remember,  almost everything posted here is based on the first PDF file above, the "Octave and Frequency Table and Other Info.pdf."

Is this stuff useful?  Maybe?  Depends...  et cetera...

Anyway,  it is a fun project,  and I am glad I am able to share it with you.

As always,  your comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated.

Happy trails,

Tom

#3 Tom The Piddler

Tom The Piddler

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

Originally Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

Dave_White, on 31 Aug 2016 - 5:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Wow

Tom - thanks for posting - there is some great stuff here!

Mr. White,

Your welcome.  Hope you find some usefulness in them.  Feel free to share if you like,  as that is what they are for.

North Devon (UK) Lady, on 30 Aug 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:snapback.png

Blimey Tom, I had not realised that you had created all of those PDFs. That is a massive amount of work!

Thank you for persevering with this all. Having read your post above and looking again at the PDFs the penny has now dropped and I understand.

Tom, this is fantastic and exactly what I needed to understand the following:

1) What is happening when Steve says he can play notes and chords on different parts of the neck - yep, if I was to do that on a piano it would sound all wrong because you only get one occurrence of each pitch on a piano where even inverting chords makes a difference.
2) How to equate the notes on a piano to those on a guitar.
3) The fundamental difference that the number of frets on a guitar makes to the pitch positions.
4) How to write music composed on a guitar onto a music staff (I have bought a guitar manuscript book to record all the songs that I compose and I was wondering exactly how to record guitar solos etc.)

Now that I do understand I would like to say............

WOW TOM! THANK YOU, THIS IS GREAT!

Mandy

Mandy,

Anything for a Singer/Songwriter!  Glad you found some value to them.

Just remember a "G3 note,  is a G3 note,  is a G3 note" no matter what instrument is playing it, but will sound unique because of the instrument.

Happy trails,

Tom

#4 Tom The Piddler

Tom The Piddler

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

Hello Everyone -- just wanted to say "Thank You" for looking at the material in the above original post and for checking out the external links...

Hope they have provided you some additional substance in your musical  journey.

Happy trails,

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users