440Hz VS 432Hz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Dog

Blue Dog

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

Most instruments are tuned to 440 Hz Same with guitars . But has anyone tried 432 Hz . It is said that 432 Hz is the Tonal Hz of the universe . of all that we hear . I tuned my acoustic guitar to 432 Hz and it sounds better . meaning more mellow. Which in tuning means a half step down. On my snark tuner any way that's what it shows . but more like a 1/4 step down . They say the 440Hz in real word sound is a half step sharp . which makes it a sharp. Most players that tune their guitars by ear tune them to 432 Hz 9 out of 10 times . This is some thing to think about , I have not tune a electric guitar to 432 Hz . Will today sometime But on my acoustic I think I will leave it there for a while an see what happens . I like the mellow sound. I didn't know that there is a lot of music written using 432Hz back in the old days of Mozart . 440hz was made the standard in the 1900's. who knew . Blue Dog

Point of bring this subject up is . They say 440 Hz  gets on  people nerves by being sharp. and 432 Hz is mellow . so practicing in 432 Hz might be less stressful and more enjoyable .  Pink Floyd  record most of there song in 432 Hz . most songs I like are recorded in 432 Hz I Didn't Know.

#2 John Wells

John Wells

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

A long time ago when Western music (European) was being born, every country had their own chromatic scale, so that a piano tuned in one country was out of tune in another. Confusion reigned, so musicians all got together in a BFC (conference) and decided on a universal standard for not only the Chromatic Scale, but also for the Grand Musical Staff. They based this on A 440 hz. As a result all pianos are tuned the same and so is all music notation. If you wish to see this standard, go to website https://pages.mtu.ed.../notefreqs.html. If you wish to tune your guitar to another scale, that's fine so long as you play solo, but if you're in a group (especially one in which there's a piano) you're going to be out of tune, and the band leader will tell the drummer whose drums are tuned to B flat to kick your posterior. Just want everyone to know how this controversy hatched. Personally, my old ears can't tell the difference, but my hearing aids aren't tuned. Lotsa luck.

#3 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Hendrix, Slash just go name a few play in Eb
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#4 Ron aka Columbo

Ron aka Columbo

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationHolly Springs , Georgia

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

BD Interesting for me.. as honestly after all these years I never thought about it or really understood it until now.. You have now peaked my curiosity to try it. Thanks and Happy New Year To All !

Ron

MY GUITARS
 2004' Fender American Stratocaster,  2013' Eastman T386,  1994' Washburn D-10,  2008' Takamine EAN 40C,  2015' Fender CD 60CE
 2015' 1966 reissue Ephiphone SG 400 Pro, 2016 Squier Classic Vibe Tele

MY AMPS
Fishman Loudbox 60 amp, Roland 40GX amp, Fender Mustang 1 amp

Looking for more toys !

#5 guitarben

guitarben

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

Here are 2 interresting videos that explain and debunk this theory:

https://youtu.be/LJ_KvmQM1nY

https://youtu.be/Rt3EAPDn-Ug

Bach tuned at 415, which was the standard in those days and is still used by many orchestras for that reason. Downtuning sounds good in many songs and is of course very popular in many rock genres; a lower sound feels more "earthy", but the whole tone of the universe thing has no scientific basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users