Photo

Differenct types of Tuning other than Standard Tuning.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NATARAJAN S.

NATARAJAN S.

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationChennai, India.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:50 AM

During our Practice time, can we play the guitar tuned down to Open D i.e. bringing  all the open (six) strings a whole step down i.e. DGCFAD ?

I don't mean 'Drop D Tuning' where, ONLY the Low E string is tuned down to D.  Someone prefers to Open G tuning.

Will such a practice be helpful while playing in an ensemble, if they follow the Standard Tuning ?

How should we handle the different types of Tuning?

Guidance please.......... 

Natarajan S.

#2 DianeB

DianeB

• Validating
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

Tuning all the strings a half or whole step up or down changes the timbre of the the guitar, imparting the quality of a slightly different instrument. Tuning down lowers the tension on the strings, and can make some things easier to play. Tuning up has the opposite effect and increases the risk of a broken string or much worse.

Will it be helpful in an ensemble? All but impossible to say, there are too many variables. Are you the lead instrument? Are there other guitars? Will tuning down help a vocalist in a way that changing the key in standard tuning can’t?

Unless one is simply physically unable to fret the strings in standard tuning, I think it’s hard to make a case for practicing with the guitar tuned fully down. It can’t be good for ear training if one isn’t experienced.

As for retuning certain strings, that’s another, and very complex subject. Here's an expert.

Diane
L&M Guitar Session ...
 10 11 ...

#3 Dave_White

Dave_White

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

Natarajan - As you progress on your guitar journey, you will find that certain things sound good to your ear and it is lots of fun to experiment with different types of tuning. But it is probably best to stick to standard tuning at least until you learn the basics (the information included in the first half of Steve's course).

I like the sound of open D tuning - it is used in one of my favorite guitar tunes ('Little Martha' by Duane Allman). Actually, I believe Duane played it in open E - but that places a lot of stress on the guitar neck - so I tune to open D and use a capo on the second fret.

Enjoy your journey!

L&M Guitar & Bonus 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

L&M Fingerstyle 1 2

"No virtue in this world is so oft rewarded as perseverance." - Robert Tyre Jones Jr.

"Don't just live, live well." - Pete Huttlinger

"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber

#4 NATARAJAN S.

NATARAJAN S.

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

Tuning all the strings a half or whole step up or down changes the timbre of the the guitar, imparting the quality of a slightly different instrument. Tuning down lowers the tension on the strings, and can make some things easier to play. Tuning up has the opposite effect and increases the risk of a broken string or much worse.

Will it be helpful in an ensemble? All but impossible to say, there are too many variables. Are you the lead instrument? Are there other guitars? Will tuning down help a vocalist in a way that changing the key in standard tuning can’t?

Unless one is simply physically unable to fret the strings in standard tuning, I think it’s hard to make a case for practicing with the guitar tuned fully down. It can’t be good for ear training if one isn’t experienced.

As for retuning certain strings, that’s another, and very complex subject. Here's an expert.

Diane,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Yes, I get the points. My special thanks to you for providing the link for Joni Mitchell.

Natarajan S.

#5 NATARAJAN S.

NATARAJAN S.

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

Dave,

Thanks for your reply / advice. I understand the situations. Searched in You Tube and got Duane Allman's  "Little Martha", wow, soulful,  trying to get the lyrics.

Natarajan S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users