#1 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hello all,

Last night was a great live lesson. (Here's the link if you haven't seen it... http://www.ustream.t...orded/106933631

Not just was the guest, Austin Crum, great and everything went off well. The fact that it worked at all was the fulfillment of about 3 years of dreaming, planning, purchasing gear, and frustration.

On your end, you probably noticed a clearer picture. 

On our end, EVERYTHING from the production standpoint was different - completely new HD cameras, new HD video switcher, new laptop to run it all, and a host of other technical gizmos, cables and adapters to make it all work. 

Several years of dreaming for a better live lesson experience for you, thousands of dollars of gear, hours and hours of frustration getting it to work, countless failed attempts over the last year to try to make it work all culminated last night with a great show.

To say that I went home elated was an understatement. 

You'll notice more changes in the coming weeks and months - but last night was the biggest of them all.

I wanted to say a sincerest of thank yous for being a part of our live lesson family.

Live lessons began 7 or 8 years ago when I wanted to connect more quickly with our guitar family than just our interaction with courses and on this board. 

Why do I do it?  ...because I want you to learn and I guess I wanted to get to know you all better.  Sometimes, I'm convinced we need connection with each other to keep us all moving toward our goals. 

Rest assured that I'm working on getting a better experience for you, chat-wise, streaming-wise, guest and instruction-wise.

Soon, I see us moving the show from Ustream to our Guitar Gathering YouTube page which you can see here... https://www.youtube....8BN4DYQkGF_UUw  (If you haven't subscribed there, please do so so that you can be aware of the change.) 

I've seen some great things with YouTube Live, seamless integration of video, great chat capabilities, archiving and more. 

I don't know when we'll make the long-awaited switch away from Ustream but I'll give everyone a lot of warning on it.  We're still getting the pieces in place.

Thanks for giving up your Tuesday evenings to be a part of this little guitar family.  It's a joy meeting with you every week there.

Love you guys.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#2 Blue Dog

Blue Dog

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi Steve , It was nice last night. I like to fact that you can go to the live lessons button on the forum and watch and chat with out login in to either site on u stream the ask for a chat nickname and that's it. No hassels what so ever. Cool Blue dog

#3 Revtoe35

Revtoe35

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your passion with us. Words can't thank you enough for taking the time to make that personal connection with your students. Looking forward to what the future brings.

ROBERT

Martin OMJM, Martin 00L-17E Whiskey Sunset, Taylor 812ce, Fender Telecaster & Blues Jr III Amp

Gibson 1998 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

Restart on 1 June 2017  13 & 4 was where I was before 15 months of not playing

Session L&M Guitar 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

L&M Fingerstyle      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

http://www.soundclou...revtoe35/tracks

#4 NeilES335

NeilES335

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Steve

Thanks so much for the update on your technical improvements and your plans for Live Lessons!

The quality of the streaming picture was excellent and the sound crisp and clear.

(Some folks had some issues with the HD transmission mostly because of their internet connection I believe, but as with any change, this is no real surprise )

You have actually pioneered the whole "on line" live guitar instruction concept, now copied by many other instructors, but NONE do it better.

Live Lessons is a highlight of my week, and you're right, it does help move us forward towards our goals.

I echo Roberts comments above with heartfelt thanks!

#5 Grog

Grog

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Thank you Steve for all that you do and your sincere interest and caring for your students/friends. I know that I really appreciate it and even tend to take it for granted I find. I don't do Facebook or social media. Will I still be able to view the lessons? Network Security were my Certifications and Facebook buried my wife in SPAM and fraud while I had none, I didn't do Facebook or Linkedlin or whatever they call it. Call me paranoid, I just have better things to waste time on.

In talking with some of the people on Chat last night, I was left with the impression that at least some of the troubles being reported were due to their limited ISP Choices. Rural or just in less populated areas in Texas where we lived,there is no internet. Infrastructure is old and hasn't been modernized.

Thanks again Steve, and I am looking forward to much more to come!

#6 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

Grog,

Yes, broadcasting on YouTube Live (as opposed to Facebook Live) will not require you to have a social media account.  That's one of the reasons we're leaning toward that platform.

Yes, a lot of the tech issues with streaming/chat problems seem to be with people with varying speeds of internet service - faster internet=no problems, slower internet = freezes and drops.

With YouTube Live, YouTube is much more efficient with giving people the level of HD quality appropriate for their internet speeds. 

Hope this helps and yes, there's a lot more to come.

- Steve

If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com

#7 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

One of the comments last night, someone asked what set you were on/in

I said the main showroom floor of Gruhn's.

I would assume that atests to the HD video quality.
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#8 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

Eracer,

Ha!  I didn't think the picture was that fuzzy before!

- Steve

SteveKrenz.com

#9 NeilES335

NeilES335

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:33 AM

I've been watching a few "YouTube" Live broadcasts and I must say I think the platform is far superior to Ustream,  so I'll be looking forward to this change. Most (like on Truefire which has started Live broadcasts on YouTube recently) are still  very amateurish from a production perspective, (mostly instructors with computer web-cams) compared to Live Lessons.  I think this will give a HUGE boost for Guitar Gathering and your business Steve, due to the millions of people who watch streaming video daily on all types of devices.

#10 drlaptop

drlaptop

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:48 AM

Eracer,

Ha!  I didn't think the picture was that fuzzy before!

- Steve

Well Steve, I live in Baltimore and I have Verizon fios business with additional speed and bandwidth then residential. Last night just before I signed off I had mentioned in chat there was a "big noticeable difference" for the better. Last night I didn't experience any video pauses or freezing at all, no pixeling at all either. The video and audio never went out of sinc and the image was very sharp, crisp looking and colors weren't bleeding over edges which I noted which occasionally happened with your old camera setup.  Also you didn't mention anything about audio improvements or changes but I noticed an improvement in that too. My only complaint was after hearing some of that blues was I should have dug out my bass. :rocker: 

LMG Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

LMP Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

#11 Der Big Dog

Der Big Dog

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hi Steve

Just want to add that I was at the point of not watching the Live Lessons, Live. I had lost the CHAT function, the picture froze several times a session and I did not like the idea of having to log into my Facebook account to "see" the show. But with the changes I can now go back to enjoying the shows LIVE! Thanks for all the efforts you have made.

Der Big Dog

L&M Guitar 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&M Finger Style 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Epiphone - Joe Pass - Emperor II

Epiphone - 339 Pro

PRS - SE Custom 24

Cordoba C7 CE CD (classical)

Fishman - Loudbox Mini (amp)

Quilter - Micropro 200 - 8 (amp)

#12 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

I did not like the idea of having to log into my Facebook account to "see" the show.

I don't sign in with Facebook.

Just create a UStream account with no connection to your Facebook and you'll be fine
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#13 Grog

Grog

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Here is a handy website to help find exactly what kind of ISP service you can get in your Zip Code. You may find a better service............

https://internetprovidersbyzip.com/

It could help the people with ISP problems.

#14 NeilES335

NeilES335

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:08 AM

Ive been reflecting on the plan to move Live Lesson from Ustream to YouTube Live. I'm in favor of the change; there's only one issue that concerns me. Would the rich archieve of past Live Lessons be lost? This is a huge body of work which has presented not only excellent instruction but showcased many great artists. I'm sure Steve has thought of it...I hope it can be saved.

#15 stevelarsc

stevelarsc

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:23 AM

Check out https://www.getprovider.com which will help you find the internet providers available in your zip code and choose the best high speed internet in your area. 

This is a great place to clear all your ISP related problems. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users