• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gotto

gotto

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • Locationsouthwest, wa.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:11 AM

I got in too late on Tues. for the preliminary Meet and Greet-Showcase Your Guitars event that afternoon.

Today I got back to the hotel late but will try a short recap for those who might be interested in what goes on in the conference.

Meet and Greet with the entire group began our day. Lots of familiar faces for me from last year, my first, and lots of new faces to meet. Stretching and fingerboard warmups with Steve to start with, followed by an excellent session with Corey Congilio, my favorite Trufire instructor, on some ideas for blues rhythms. He returns tomorrow for a second session with us. After lunch, we broke out into a session of personal interest from Practicing, Fingerstyle fundamentals, or Music Theory. Following that

were breakout jam sessions, blues, jazz, soft rock , spiritual etc. Lastly, a monster jam session with Steve and friends in which student participation was solicited by Steve. I checked another one of my bucket list of things I wanted to do by actually having a few minutes onstage playing with them. It was very fun....need to get a better start for my soloing in E. :whistle: , just a tad bit of nerves at play. Don't think I got in anybodies way though.

Went on my own to see James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt in the evening, an excellent concert, and got back in the room late tonight. Time to shut it down. Another busy day tomorrow...

Greg

#2 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:50 AM

Great fun and excited and happy for your experience!  Thanks for sharing.

#3 JRG

JRG

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSouthwest, WA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:06 AM

Helo Greg,

Thank you for the recap of your adventures in TN.  Sounds like a great time!  I hope to hear more over the next few days.

Jim

Fender Telecaster Elite, Fender American Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Standard, Ibanez AM93, Martin GPCPA4R, Taylor GS Mini, Fender Blues Deluxe, Roland 40GX, Fishman Loudbox Mini, Boss JS-10

#4 DianeB

DianeB

• Validating
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:59 AM

Greg was just fabulous on stage at the blues jam! We're having a blast. So far I attended Steve's sessions on fingerstyle and the jam/instruction classes on soft rock with George McIntyre. Also saw Bonnie Raitt and James Taylor at the Bridgestone do a terrific show. Gregg Cobler and a few others joined me for a little bowling Tuesday night. Thom Bresh stole the Live Lesson from Steve tonight (try to imagine Robin Williams playing Chet Atkins)!

Trevecca Nazarene University has a brand new music facility which is far better than any hotel could imitate. We have very good and inexpensive lunches at the student center. The only downside is we are scattered at various hotels around the city, so transportation is a bit more complex than the past two years, and Nashville is not exactly a cheap date. The main meeting room is called an "auditorium" but it is more of a rehearsal hall, as the seating is temporary. We have filled it to capacity this week.

On the way to Nashville I visited the new Songbirds guitar museum in Chattanooga. Monday I had the full 2 hour tour including the vault, just me and my guide Irv. Imagine 2 hours in Gruhn Guitars, just you and George. Are you kidding me? One of a kind custom Gibsons and Fenders in colors you probably haven't seen on this planet. Irv took them out of the cases for me to hold.

As sweet as all that sounds, the magic here is the people. Seeing my old friends, making new ones, and sharing our common love of music makes it like the best of a family reunion. We're Steve's guitar family, and I dare to say that we're all bursting with pride to be part of it. Wish you were here!

Diane
L&M Guitar Session ...
 10 11 ...

#5 gotto

gotto

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • Locationsouthwest, wa.

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:29 AM

I echo Diane's observations. this is a unique and very rewarding time here at the Gathering. Did I mention fun as well? And we do have a very good crowd of players, some whom I have heard practicing quietly nearby or out in the surrounding areas that are quite good.  The scope of players range from early learners to some very advanced, but the camaraderie is universal, across the board.

Today began with Steve's stretching us physically and with our hands on the fretboard. The hope is to practice opening up our hands to extend our reach on the fretboard. A followup session with flatpicking with Dan Bankburst to coax us on in that discipline with some helpful starter tips for those of us less skilled at this technique.  The afternoon opened with breakout  jam sessions again. Yesterday I went to the blues session, today I visited the soft rock session with George McIntyre who was the bassist in yesterdays Monster Jam. Cory Congilio finished off the afternoon for me with another blues session to introduce us to more advance blues progressions for those interested  in finding their inner jazz/blues self. Very good stuff and very well done. Other sessions were fingerstyle with Steve and flatpicking with Dan.

Of course the evening was the highlight with Tom Bresh and Steve in the Live Broadcast. If you haven't seen it, it is the most hilarious hour I have spent in a very long time. Tom is a fantastic story teller and is incredibly funny. I was in tears at times. Give yourself a real treat and check out the broadcast archives on this one.

Late again for me. I need some sleep. It has been a busy two days.

Greg

#6 yellow

yellow

• Validating
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:36 AM

Thank you Greg and Diane, it is great to hear all about the Guitar Gathering.
It looks like Steve has created a fabulous line up of activities.
I am so glad that you are all enjoying it (not that anyone had any doubts that you all would!).
At the moment my personal circumstances dictate that I could not attend, I would so love to meet you all. But who knows what will happen for me in the future.
I look forward to hearing more about the 2017 Guitar Gathering!

#7 Revtoe35

Revtoe35

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

Sounds like an awesome time. Enjoy, yes I'm envious but life wouldn't allow me to attend. Hoping for next year.

ROBERT

Martin OMJM, Martin 00L-17E Whiskey Sunset, Taylor 812ce, Fender Telecaster & Blues Jr III Amp

Gibson 1998 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

Restart on 1 June 2017  13 & 4 was where I was before 15 months of not playing

Session L&M Guitar 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

L&M Fingerstyle      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

http://www.soundclou...revtoe35/tracks

#8 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

sounds like Steve is going to have a hard time "topping" this year's Gathering

Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#9 gotto

gotto

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • Locationsouthwest, wa.

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:46 PM

sounds like Steve is going to have a hard time "topping" this year's Gathering

Indeed, the bar was set high this year. We barely had enough room in the auditorium because of the increased attendance. That said, the venue is a great place for such an event and the acoustics were very, very good. The breakouts were an amazing addition to the conference as well.

Today was the last group meeting per se. We began the day with some info regarding the arrangements for tomorrows NAMM attendance and a brief question/answer session. Then, breakout sessions again with guitar setups with Greg Voros,  music theory with Paulette Krenz, and songwiting with John Chisum whom I saw.Then, improvisation with Steve and Dino Pastin-so much to think about when soloing and I need to get serious about learning this stuff. 

Lastly, the Student Showcase. There were over double the participants this year and wow-some very good performances. It is amazing, inspiring , and rewarding to see performers to beat back the nerves, climb up to the stage and play guitar in front of nearly a 100 people. For some, it likely was there first  public perfrormance, for some others maybe more familiar with the stage, but for all it was as Steve would say, "conquering your fears" moment. Kudos to all . I can't wait to see any videos that may arise from the moment.

Tomorrow many of us will attend the NAMM conference, some will say farewell to The Gathering and Nashville as they journey back home. To all, I am so grateful and blessed to have met as many of you as I could, making new friends each day, if only for the short time I spent with you. I hope to return again next year in June with these friends sharing the "Gathering " experience together. Lots of smiling faces.....

No plans for me tonight. Maybe catching up on my sleep, dreaming of playing guitar.

Greg

A teaser....something special planned by Steve for the fall. Keep a look out for the amazing news.

#10 fray

fray

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCommerce, Texas

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thank you guys for sharing.  I was planning go attend but started a new job and time off for 6 months.  A big bummer for us, but following the posts.  fray

#11 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

A teaser....something special planned by Steve for the fall. Keep a look out for the amazing news.

Ooooohhh

Eracer_Team (DougH)

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

#12 gotto

gotto

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • Locationsouthwest, wa.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:25 PM

Final official day of the Guitar  Gathering. Meeting up a NAMM with Steve to get our event bracelets and sharing last moments of story-telling and reminiscences of the past few days. Thanks to Steve, his family and all the good students and instructors who helped to put this event on for us lucky souls who could make the trip to Nashville and experience the fruits of their hard working efforts. It is hard to imagine how much goes into this event and thanks also to Trevecca Nazarene University for offering up their great facility for our musical enjoyment . Until next June.....can't wait.

Greg

An appendix to this, I did run out to Gruhn's Guitars after the NAMM show. Yes, you guessed it, shipping another guitar home. A used Tom Anderson tele (body design like the one I brought to the GG) with 3 single coils and a mystery switch that seems to act as a boost. Rosewood neck and rosewood cap over a mahogany body. Surprisingly not heavy with the exotic wood-must be a chambered body.I have never really connected to my 2 strats so maybe it's  time to see if they can find some love with someone else. Got to make room for the newest addition of the single coil variety.  Oooooh. Now I have to tell the wife-she will love it, actually. I better get out of this town before I start thinking more about that wild aluminum bodied tele hanging next to the guitar I just bought.

#13 DianeB

DianeB

• Validating
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:43 AM

Sigh 😔 Now I've said all my goodbyes. Time to pack my bags in a quiet hotel room.

Already packed are my memories of the smiling faces, the howls of laughter, and the goosebumps from the music. There are a few people who couldn't be here this year, and I dearly missed seeing them: Mike (Popeyetsm), who singlehandedly rebooted the gathering two years ago, Steve (Uncle Hammy), who bravely took a turn in the student showcase that year, and Ray (Folio), who I hope is all right. There are others, but tonight I can barely remember my own name.

For five days I have enjoyed the company of some of the kindest, most generous, talented, and inspiring people I've ever met. Some of them young, all of them young at heart. So I say, goodnight from Nashville, wishing all of you safe travels, thanking you for moments I will always remember, and sending you the best of my love. 😉

Diane
L&M Guitar Session ...
 10 11 ...

#14 NeilES335

NeilES335

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:23 AM

Thanks to Greg and Diane for the update.. sounds like you had a wonderful time...have a safe trip home

#15 JLO_SWEDE

JLO_SWEDE

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationNøtterøy, Norway

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Thank you for sharing the experience with us who could not make it there.

Have a safe trip home.

Gibsons Learn and Master Guitar, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe

PRS SE Bernie Marsden signature model
Ibanez RG 170
Takamine Jasmine acoustic steelstring
Peavey Vypyr 15 amp
Roland Cube 15 amp

Line 6 UX2

#16 yellow

yellow

• Validating
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

+1 NeilE and JLO-SWEDE
Enjoy your new guitar Greg! I shall look forward to some pictures of it.

#17 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

I wish I could make this a yearly event, like some of you have.

Glad everything worked out well
Eracer_Team (DougH)

LMG Live Lesson Archive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users