Building Strength

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rkl312

rkl312

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

I'm a fairly strong person so its been a humbling experience not being able to complete the barre chord exercises without stopping and shaking my hand and taking a bit of a break.  But its getting better.  I can get through about 3/4 of the exercise now until my notes are muted and my wrist is killing me.  

#2 UncleHammy

UncleHammy

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  • LocationTowanda, Kansas

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

So, I spoke to Steve at one of the Gatherings and he told me that if he had it to do again he would change the way he taught barre chords slightly.

He said that the best way to learn barres and build the strength to do them consistently is to use a kind of pulsing approach.  In other words play the barre chord with the full grip as required, hold it for 4 beats then relax your muscles for 4 beats as a rest, then full grip again for 4 beats, continue to do this for each exercise.

After a week or two you will notice the difference and the chords will ring much more clearly.

-- UncleHammy

"If I make a mistake on guitar, nobody dies."  --Will McFarland at the 2015 Guitar Gathering

2013 Taylor 416ce-FLTD, 1980 Martin D25K, 2010 PRS SE Custom 24, 1968 Gibson C-1 Classic, 1992 OMI Hound Dog Dobro, 2012 Yamaha FG700S, 2013 Martin Backpacker, 2012 UncleHammy Kit built LP, 1985 Hamlin Custom fretless bass, Cigar box guitar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users