Talk about your roadblock

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rkl312

rkl312

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

After a good deal of momentum gained getting my chord changes smoother in session 6 and playing some songs and having fun I have now come to a screeching halt with the barre chords.  But from previous experience I know I just have to stay positive and work hard on acquiring this new skill. I mean this is only day 4...  The problem for me is that it doesn't sound the least bit musical.  I gather at some point I will no longer be able to look at my hands.  That's pretty funny!  Going to keep chopping away happily and also practice songs to keep my open chords sharp.

#2 yellow

yellow

• Validating
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

Great stuff rkl312, you have exactly the right attitude.
For me the barre chords took a while before they started to sound right and some days were frustrating, but I did exactly as you are, I practiced the open chords.
One day you will be playing them and they will start to sound sweet, but if they are back to horrible the next day don't worry, this is normal! Soon after that they will be conquered.

#3 UncleHammy

UncleHammy

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  • LocationTowanda, Kansas

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

Same here rkl312.  I have avoided barres and pretty much stopped all forward progress for a couple of years now.  I have been playing a lot of songs but actual learning has halted.

A few months ago I powered through lesson 7 just so I could get going again.  I have started playing songs with barre chords now.  Not all barre chords like you do in lesson 7 just natural chords in a progression.  Mostly F and Bm.  I am getting more comfortable playing them in a song so I think it about time to move on to 8 and 9.

Keep working at it, don't do like I did and just stop progressing.

-- UncleHammy

"If I make a mistake on guitar, nobody dies."  --Will McFarland at the 2015 Guitar Gathering

2013 Taylor 416ce-FLTD, 1980 Martin D25K, 2010 PRS SE Custom 24, 1968 Gibson C-1 Classic, 1992 OMI Hound Dog Dobro, 2012 Yamaha FG700S, 2013 Martin Backpacker, 2012 UncleHammy Kit built LP, 1985 Hamlin Custom fretless bass, Cigar box guitar

#4 John Wells

John Wells

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

Barre chords get easy after you develop strength and endurance in a little muscle that's located--and I kid you not--on the underside of your arm, near the elbow. If you want to hasten this needed development, get yourself a small door hinge and put some resistance under it and exercise your index finger by pressing down on it. You'll start to feel that muscle complain a bit while it's developing, but apply the Three P's, and soon you'll be loving barre chords. As you practice, mix and match barre chords with open chords. And yes, barre chords are a rite of passage. You're soon going to love them! Lotsa luck.

#5 gotto

gotto

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • Locationsouthwest, wa.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

An interesting thing about barre chords is that, yes they are a challenge to master in the early stages of learning, but they become quite natural down the road. I learned barre chords when I was a young person and don't really remember the level of difficulty involved,  but common comments on this subject confirm the difficulty of learning or mastery. My challenge now is to not play barre chords too much, as I am playing with other musicians. It is such a reflex to land on full barres that I have to consciously try to play mini- barres or 4 note variations, so as not to reproduce the notes covered by fellow players. It is almost the opposite problem that is reported here in the early learning stages. Don't be dismayed in the learning of these, consider practicing in stages..... practicing barre chords on upper registers where fretting might be a little easier and then moving down the neck, mini-barres, single finger barres to develop strength etc. It will get better and easier with time. Trust yourself.

Greg

#6 rkl312

rkl312

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  Six String I read ahead before starting this session and my Hal Leonard book arrived yesterday.  Looking forward to using it for additional practice.  Thanks for the tip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users