• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Itz

Fred Itz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:46 AM

I know you are supposed to use the tips of of the fingers. I had no issues playing single notes, but now that I am working on chords, I find that I am muting the adjacent strings. My question is, are your fingers supposed to ALWAYS be at right angles to the string, or are they sometimes at a 30 or 40 degree angle?

Thanks

Fred 

#2 Fretless

Fretless

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
  • Locationwww.guitargathering.com

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

In a word: no. If you look at Steve's photo in Session 1 you will see that two of his fingers he cannot get straight. I would say focus on having a straight (or nearly straight) wrist and, as you mention, just making sure that fingers is not unintentionally damping (ie. touching) adjacent strings. 30 degrees off vertical for sure but 30 degrees off the fretboard (if that is what you meant) sounds a bit low and suggests that you have not got a good wrist angle or you have your thumb too far off the centre of the neck. Be relaxed about it.

#3 John Wells

John Wells

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

As the olde adage to children while bicycling, "Two hands while learning." While developing muscle memory of your fingers, focus on good mechanics that keep the wrist straight and the fingers perpendicular to the fingerboard. Once this habit is ingrained in our mini-brains, then we can use the "General Prudential Rule" (from the International Rules of the Road for navigating ships at sea): "In obeying and construing the above rules, due regard shall be had for hazards of navigation that render a departure from the above rules."

In other words, use good judgment and know when to modify. Fred, you're doing fine, so keep at it. Lotsa luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users