• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 triple-oh

triple-oh

• Members
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCannabis Creek Colo.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

Playing the intro of this song up at  frets 15 and 17 like the Marty video below  is proving to be difficult even on my cut-away acoustic. I've worked on this song before, but in the first position.

My  high E string doesn't sound right that high up.  Maybe its just a bad string, but it does sound good until I get round the 12 fret. The 13th fret doesn't even register on my Snark tuner. I can't say that I've ever tried it there before, It does works on the 12th 14th etc. Does anyone else have this problem. The string spacing looks correct and  the saddle and nut positions appear ok.. I guess the first thing is to replace the string and battery in the tuner. Then If that doesn't work I'll just tell my wife I need a new Guitar. :whistle:  

Edit. I changed the battery now it shows the 13th fret, but it  now bounces between F and A#.

I replaced the high E with a new  D 'Addario exp 16 E string and it still doesn't sound right. Maybe it's the way I'am fingering the the string, but its hard be believe I am causing it to go that sharp. 

Anyway it's a fun song and I would like to learn that intro up the neck. 

"If wishes were horses,beggars would ride".

#2 gotto

gotto

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • Locationsouthwest, wa.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

On a different but similar experience, I have found that often when I fret the D chord in 1st position using 3 fingers, the A note on the G string is sharpened and the chord sounds bad to my ears. I have found that when I fret that note closer to the fret, it is sharpened in the tuner. This occurs across multiple guitars so it is a reproducible phenomenon due to my fretting obviously. If I keep my finger position on that string a bit further back from the fret, it resolves. I have even found barring the first 3 strings and adding the D on the B string to give an  nice sounding D chord. Perhaps experiment with finger placement, relative to the fret and see what affect it has on tuning accuracy. Best of luck on this.

Greg

#3 randy120

randy120

• Members
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

Justin Guitar lesson

https://www.justingu...VanMorrison.php

Randy

L&M Guitar Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry

​Ovation Standard Balladeer

Taylor NS24ce

​Taylor GS Mini

​Fender G-DEC 30

Fishman Loudbox Mini

Peavey Classic 30 II

http://soundcloud.com/randy120/tracks/

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

― Albert Einstein

#4 triple-oh

triple-oh

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

I can't believe how easy Marty and Justin play this intro. My hand runs out of room. I noticed that neither Justin's nor Marty's hands  touch the guitar side when they are at the 17th fret. Where my guitar prevents my hand movement. I probably need to change my hand angle and get my pinky out in front to avoid contact with the guitar body. When I shift to a classical guitar position its pretty easy, but then moving back to the open G is awkward on a longer neck steel string.

A few years ago I watched a guy play this song and I remember that after the intro he played the first G chord as an inverted triad at the 12 fret so he didn't need to make that quick move back to the open G chord.

E string still sounds like C#@!. I think I'll travel to Guitar Center and try out another guitar. Maybe all cut-aways aren't the same on all guitars and I can listen to some more E strings.

#5 randy120

randy120

• Members
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

What kind of guitar are you using? You can clearly see in Justin's video that his cut-out gives him access to fret 17. My Ovation is very similar. 

Randy

L&M Guitar Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry

​Ovation Standard Balladeer

Taylor NS24ce

​Taylor GS Mini

​Fender G-DEC 30

Fishman Loudbox Mini

Peavey Classic 30 II

http://soundcloud.com/randy120/tracks/

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

― Albert Einstein

#6 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

The speed of the di-ads in both 7th and 12th starting position is a struggle.

I have a tendency to over shoot the diad jumps, but getting there.

Still need NeilES335 to show me his bass solo in it, as my version sucks.

Yes if you choose to play the intro above 12th fret, you'll need a cut away Guitar.

The intro that I've seen in 5th or open position don't sound right to me
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#7 triple-oh

triple-oh

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

Thanks. I have a Bleedlove cut-away. When I shift the guitar into a classical position or stand up my hand fits and it's easy. When I hold it in a traditional casual position my arm hits my body and wrist is in an uncomfortable position. This song may well have changed the way I hold the guitar. No more casual position. Maybe no more sitting.

I did try out some different guitars. The cut-away design appears to be a standard on Bleedlove Taylor and Martin guitars, at least on the models I tried. 

The high E string I found is a problem, apparently the neck has swollen where it meets the guitar body. A luthier told me that it is common in Colorado to have this happen. I should have kept it in the case with a an oasis type humidifier. The other strings sound fine and the high E is only a problem above the 12 fret. 

I 'll keep working on it. I am sure it will come in time. The 7th and 12th fret is where the intro sounds best. 

I guess I need to start saving for a new guitar. I see  Martin has a nice "entry level guitar" the D-200 on sale for a mere  $119.000.00.   :whistle:

#8 magnus80a

magnus80a

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

Thanks. I have a Bleedlove cut-away. When I shift the guitar into a classical position or stand up my hand fits and it's easy. When I hold it in a traditional casual position my arm hits my body and wrist is in an uncomfortable position. This song may well have changed the way I hold the guitar. No more casual position. Maybe no more sitting.

I did try out some different guitars. The cut-away design appears to be a standard on Bleedlove Taylor and Martin guitars, at least on the models I tried.

The high E string I found is a problem, apparently the neck has swollen where it meets the guitar body. A luthier told me that it is common in Colorado to have this happen. I should have kept it in the case with a an oasis type humidifier. The other strings sound fine and the high E is only a problem above the 12 fret.

I 'll keep working on it. I am sure it will come in time. The 7th and 12th fret is where the intro sounds best.

I guess I need to start saving for a new guitar. I see Martin has a nice "entry level guitar" the D-200 on sale for a mere $119.000.00. :whistle:

Or look at a carbon fibre Rainsong and never worry about humidity again. I'm sure my next acoustic will be a Rainsong.

#9 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

I wouldn't worry about a guitar in a "proper" position classical vs casual.

There is only 1 position.
The position for you to reach the frets and play the notes.

If that means neck angle has to be raded as you play up the neck... So be it.
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#10 triple-oh

triple-oh

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

Thanks ET, for 5 years I have been bouncing back and forth between positions. I think I have finally come to realize that the classical position is the best one for me. It is the only position that gives me full access. I have found that if I stand  the guitar is in a good  position, so keeping the guitar in that position I can also sit and play the intro  without a problem.

Magnus, that carbon fibre guitar wasn't on my radar. I am looking forward to trying one out. I do have a Martin hybrid classical that I have taken better care of, keeping it in a case with an Oasis, so I am currently leaning towards a Martin OMC-15ME or 000-17 Black Smoke.

#11 mouseslave

mouseslave

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationOKC

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

Triple-oh,

I wouldn't overthink this problem.  Your member name indicates what you need.  Sorry, I can't tell you how to lay the preparation with your wife.

Hah!!

Scott

Scott

Larrivee D03

Fender American Standard Telecaster

Gibson LES Paul Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Vox VT20

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users