• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDFW Metroplex

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

I'm finishing up Session 3, taking a little extra time with the Bonus material and songs. I want to be very comfortable to this point before beginning 4 as I understand it's a challenging Session.

A few of the exercises have been quite a bit more of a challenge to me than others. The 8th notes on open strings (palm mute technique) and the 8th note runs from the open D string to the first G on string 1. I'm having some trouble smoothly getting through the exercises on a consistent basis.

Last night, something significant happened. I was getting frustrated trying to repeatedly play the exercises. So, I sat there for a minute, took a few deep breaths, and closed my eyes. I ran my fingers over the strings and frets. I focused on my strumming hand position, pick location and strings. I could visualize my guitar in my mind's eye. I started playing the exercises from memory, with my eyes closed. After only a few hesitations and restarts, I started playing them perfectly! I played them over and over. I noticed that the 8th note run from D to high G contained a G major Scale (among others), so I started playing from the open G string to the high G, but instead of playing the F (1st string, 1st fret) I changed to F# (1st string, 2nd fret) to actually realize the G Major Scale. I ran this up and down, repeatedly, with my eyes closed the whole time.

I spent the rest of the practice session playing like this....eyes closed, metronome clicking away, running up and down the scale and other exercises. It was immensely satisfying, and when I wrapped up for the night I felt as though I'd really accomplished something. I've moved to a new comfort level with the guitar.
L&MG+B Status: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12. 13 14. 15 16. 17 18. 19 20

Speed and Agility Workshop: Basic

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro (Katsu); Epiphone PR-150 Acoustic (Janus); Epiphone Les Paul 100; Fender Squier Strat; Fender F270-CE Acoustic; Fender Precision Bass
Pedal Board: Toms-line Tuner, Donner: Ultimate Compressor, Noisekiller; White Wizard; Black Arts; Deluxe Looper; EH Soul Food; Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Amps: Marshall MG50CFX; Ampeg BA-210; Vox Pathfinder (Living Room amp for noodling around); Crate KX-80; Crate BX-15
Studio Gear: 17" MacBook Pro, GarageBand, Casio WK Keyboard, Tama Rockstar Drumset; Assorted mic's and stands; Obligatory Oriental Rug

Supplemental Study:
Garage Band Theory - Duke Sharp <-- Excellent workbook for music theory
The CAGED System & 100 Licks for Blues Guitar - Joseph Alexander <-- Essential System for Solo's
The Practice of Practice - Jonathan Harnum <-- Deep dive into the how/why of practice
GuitarInstructor.com <-- G+ Membership for access to everything. This site is incredible.

#2 quilter1958

quilter1958

• Members
  • 4,146 posts
  • LocationSanford, Florida

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

I like it!

Sherry

L & M G: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&MG The Song Hits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#3 Six String

Six String

• Members
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

Grab hold and remember that feeling.  Know that there will be many more like it, but usually they are found on the other side of many times ending a session wanting to throw your hands up in frustration.

Fighting through the times you want to quit is how you get to the feeling you just experienced.  Holding on to that feeling of accomplishment is what provides the drive to get through the hard part to the next one and then the next.  Soon even when you have a bad session you'll walk away thinking, just think how good I'll be next year, because you know you'll never quit.

#4 Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDFW Metroplex

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

Yes, I think that was my first battle with the Quit Monster. When I was frustrated, thoughts like "I can't do this", and "I'm not enjoying this", and "What's the point of this", were going through my mind. I anticipate the battles will get tougher and tougher, but if I won once I can win again....and again....and again.....

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro (Katsu); Epiphone PR-150 Acoustic (Janus); Epiphone Les Paul 100; Fender Squier Strat; Fender F270-CE Acoustic; Fender Precision Bass
Pedal Board: Toms-line Tuner, Donner: Ultimate Compressor, Noisekiller; White Wizard; Black Arts; Deluxe Looper; EH Soul Food; Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Amps: Marshall MG50CFX; Ampeg BA-210; Vox Pathfinder (Living Room amp for noodling around); Crate KX-80; Crate BX-15
Studio Gear: 17" MacBook Pro, GarageBand, Casio WK Keyboard, Tama Rockstar Drumset; Assorted mic's and stands; Obligatory Oriental Rug

Supplemental Study:
The CAGED System & 100 Licks for Blues Guitar - Joseph Alexander <-- Essential System for Solo's
The Practice of Practice - Jonathan Harnum <-- Deep dive into the how/why of practice
GuitarInstructor.com <-- G+ Membership for access to everything. This site is incredible.

#5 k9kaos

k9kaos

• Members
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:41 AM

For me, those battles actually get easier to win! 

The previous victories really do make it feel more achievable. 

The skills or techniques may get harder, but the rewards are that much greater!

In a few sessions, when you get the switch between chords down, or the first time a barre chord rings true... no better feeling!

Barbara

I wish reality had a distortion pedal.... :)

1933 Gibson L-OO 

Martin Custom X Series (my favorite)

Ibanez Acoustic Electric

Gibson Les Paul Studio 

Fender Strat (MiM)

Epiphone P-90 Riviera

TK O'Brien Mountain Dulcimer

Johnson JB-100 Banjo

Eddy Finn Ukelele

Words of wisdom from a dear friend:  "Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

#6 oldjock

oldjock

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationON, Canada

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

These bright light moments are actually the result of the dedicated support on this forum.
Two years ago, I had a similar experience and posted it.
One of the comments came from Randy who suggested playing with the lights off.
It has stuck with me and now when I am learning something new, I will turn off the lights.
Let your brain do the work.

Henk

#7 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,709 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

Wonderful!  That's what its all about.  Conquering the daily.

Great job.  There are many more summits ahead on your journey.

Keep up the great work.

There's lots of music in you. 

- Steve

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#8 Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDFW Metroplex

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

In a few sessions, when you get the switch between chords down, or the first time a barre chord rings true... no better feeling!

Thanks everyone.....I'm really enjoying the process overall. I'm just a few days shy of 2 months into it, and starting from literally knowing nothing to where I am now amazes me.

I've been practicing the Major chords during my "just messing around" times outside the course. I can play all of them, and I can strum respectably EAB and GCD progressions. I have a looper pedal, and I've been layering loops in a 12 bar or 16 bar Pattern these I,IV,V progressions into the looper, then just experimenting with single note "solos" over them. I haven't produced anything outstanding yet, but a few times I've found some cool patterns and am getting a grasp on changing where I play to match the chord playing at the time. It's a lot of fun! Last night I layered up a few loops and jammed on my bass to it. I may get another looper for the bass so I can set both going, sit behind the Tama's and have a 1 man jam.

Supplemental Study:

#9 Foreverman

Foreverman

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Fred

I have had similar feelings with my eyes closed. The logic behind this has always been the fact that we are encouraged to play without looking at the strings, so what is point in having your eyes open? (Aside from when you are reading music, of course). You are only going to be focusing on distractions.

I also believe that shutting off one sense, kind of enhances the others. Maybe that's why Blind Boy Fuller and all those fantastically talented Blind Black Blues Guitarists found playing guitar came natural to them.

Congratulations with your achievement. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users