7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Boehler

Mike Boehler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSharon Springs, NY

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

Hey all;

I'm sure this has been hashed out to death, but I couldn't find out where its been talked about so my apologies in advance.

So my thread title pretty much says it all. I love the structure of this course. It suits me perfectly. But the nagging question of whether to actually perfect a lesson before moving on or not is always an issue for me. 

On any given moment, I can play the lesson, but not repetitively to perfection. Sometimes it is a focus problem of mine, sometimes it is a physical problem (ie barre chords). 

To me it is like learning a new song, once I have it mastered, I actually hate it because I've played it so many times repetitively. 

How do you guys handle this subjective problem?

Much appreciate any critical advice, 

Mike

#2 Learn All You Can

Learn All You Can

• Validating
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Once I met the YOURE READY TO MOVE ON requirements noted in the Bonus workshop I moved on. Many times future materials helps solidify prior material.

Learn All You Can :violin:  :piano:  :rightacoutsitc:

#3 quilter1958

quilter1958

• Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationSanford, Florida

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

If you move on to the next session and use the session that you're in to warm up, your learning will grow exponentially.

Sherry

L & M G: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&MG The Song Hits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#4 NeilES335

NeilES335

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

Almost everyone counters the same issue... I'd agree with Sherry. If you hate what you're doing or it's boring, there's no point. As you move on it will become apparent what areas need more work, and you can always go back and brush up on those. It's supposed to be fun yaknow  :biggrin1:

#5 Ron aka Columbo

Ron aka Columbo

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationHolly Springs , Georgia

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

Yes I too agree with Sherry.. for me I have not mastered several things over the course and was beating myself up mentally .. and learned to move on and have fun.. so thats what I do now.  Enjoy its a great course.

Ron

MY GUITARS
 2004' Fender American Stratocaster,  2013' Eastman T386,  1994' Washburn D-10,  2008' Takamine EAN 40C,  2015' Fender CD 60CE
 2015' 1966 reissue Ephiphone SG 400 Pro, 2016 Squier Classic Vibe Tele

MY AMPS
Fishman Loudbox 60 amp, Roland 40GX amp, Fender Mustang 1 amp

Looking for more toys !

#6 randy120

randy120

• Members
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

No perfection! Perfection is the enemy of the good. If you understand the material and can play it reasonably well then move on. You will be making mistakes 10 years from now so why allow imperfection to slow your progress? These skills are additive. Like Sherry states your skills will "grow" while you are improving your skills.

Randy

L&M Guitar Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry

​Ovation Standard Balladeer

Taylor NS24ce

​Taylor GS Mini

​Fender G-DEC 30

Fishman Loudbox Mini

Peavey Classic 30 II

http://soundcloud.com/randy120/tracks/

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

― Albert Einstein

#7 DianeB

DianeB

• Validating
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

Yes, Mike, this question comes up often in one form or another. I face it myself. It’s a tricky one. Our minds crave novelty, while learning demands repetition. At times these needs seem mutually exclusive.

To us as students, perfection should not be the goal: competence is the goal. It’s foolhardy to attempt to quantify the unquantifiable, but I’ll go for it: for our purposes, 80% competence at the skill 80% of the time should be plenty. At some point beyond that, the time invested in repetition returns less in useful skill than time devoted to something new.

Now for the fine print. Obviously there’s no point in attempting a skill at 90 bpm if one can’t perform it consistently at 60 bpm. Merely adding speed or complexity to relieve boredom is a mistake. If boredom is really the issue, it may be better to change the practice method than the subject. And by “practice method”, I include changing practice mindset.

Diane
L&M Guitar Session ...
 10 11 ...

#8 Mike Boehler

Mike Boehler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSharon Springs, NY

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

Thank you everyone for the unanimous (to date) answers. They make perfect sense.  To be clear, I'm not really bored with the lessons, but I do get bored with a song that I may have previously enjoyed or yearned to play by the time I learn it. The boredom is simply a product of repetition required to learn it. Up until now, I'm neither bored nor disenfranchised with this course. I have simply not been at it that long.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Mike 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users