• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 triple-oh

triple-oh

• Members
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCannabis Creek Colo.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

When we first learned to fret chords we were taught to get the fingers close to the fret wire. When playing some barre chords I am beginning to question that position. Take, for example the A7 barre chord.  I am beginning to think your ring finger  should be placed as if you were playing the A barre chord. The reason I say that is because when you start combining Barre chords with the notes from Pentatonic scale/Blues Scale   like Steve does and start to play the Eb D and A notes with your pinky while still holding the A7 barre chord. My ring finger is close to the wire and  there's no room for the pinky to catch those notes without making an  adjustment to the barre fingering.  It's an unnecessary move that I would rather not make,  I am curious, when Steve plays these notes from that position does he make this extra movement or does he use the A fingering position?

"If wishes were horses,beggars would ride".

#2 oldjock

oldjock

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Not sure why you would want to barre an A7 chord. What's wrong with using x02020

Henk

#3 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

oldJock-Henk..  in Session 7.. its all about playing 6 String Barre Chords

any chord with an open string isn't a movable chord

A-7th-A-5,7,5,6,5,5.png

Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#4 John Wells

John Wells

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

Mastering six-string barre chords is the objective, here. Every student has a different size of hand and fingers, so each of us plays the chord as best we can, and finger dexterity will improve as our skill level progresses. And Hank, as our skills improve, we "mix and match" barre chords with three, four, five, and six string chords. Besides, this lesson is about six-string barre chords. The five-string A7 chord is an octave lower than the barre at Fret V, so it's a matter of matching the chord with the melody. But you're right, there are times when the five-string A7 sounds better in the chord progression of a song. Lotsa luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users