#1 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hello all,

Just wanted to see how the Major Scale Mastery Level 1 course is working for you.  I know that many of you have been working with it for the last week.  What are your thoughts?

What have you found is working or not working for you?

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#2 Gary oh no Less

Gary oh no Less

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

i think its very well set out , you done a great job . 

#3 Gary oh no Less

Gary oh no Less

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

AGAIN  :biggrin:

and i'm not just saying that as a fanboy lol , good to see you got over to the download way , that's good for everyone on the planet :) (shipping is the Killer) old way and if you want a DVD version you can burn it off Yourself like i did and posted pictures in the wrong section of the Forum,  just for fun of corse  :huh:  http://community.lea...tboard-workout/  SORRY :)

#4 quilter1958

quilter1958

• Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationSanford, Florida

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:54 AM

I looked at some of the videos. I haven't started using it yet. It looks great, though.

Sherry

L & M G: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&MG The Song Hits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#5 randy120

randy120

• Members
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

I think it is a very nice guide to using the major scales. I have only been fingering the patterns for a few days. I also forced myself to sing the scales as I play them. I wanted to make sure I "knew" the scales; not just the patterns. The moveable patterns are really versatile. The thirds exercises are very good.

I was soloing over backing tracks last night with more versatility than I had in the past. I am playing all over the neck. My soloing has definitely improved, and I was always comfortably in the proper key. I haven't even played along with the videos yet.

I think it is time to jam with some Coffee Break Grooves.

Having fun again, still!

Randy

L&M Guitar Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry

​Ovation Standard Balladeer

Taylor NS24ce

​Taylor GS Mini

​Fender G-DEC 30

Fishman Loudbox Mini

Peavey Classic 30 II

http://soundcloud.com/randy120/tracks/

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

― Albert Einstein

#6 Grog

Grog

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

Steve, You had some PDF's in the in the Learn & Master Online Resources that are almost the same. I found them on my PC. So I have seen them before. I have been refreshing the patterns. I like the videos.

#7 Poju67

Poju67

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKotka, Finland

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:05 AM

I've been working my way through the sessions 7 & 8 in the L&M course for the past year. While going through the theory and memorizing the major scale patterns presented in these sessions I have many times thought that I should also start to play them as well. However for some reason I never got around of actually doing it.

In my case this workout could not have come out at a better time. This has finally pushed me over the threshold and got me doing things that I should have started months ago. I find the workout really usefull and would recommend it to anyone at this same stage of their guitar journey.

Thanks again Steve!

L&M Guitar                session 12345678910

L&M Blues Guitar      session 0

#8 IMA fingers

IMA fingers

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • LocationBoston, Mass

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Poju67 you are right. Sessions 7 and 8 took me long to complete when I was going through long ago. The workout would have made it a lot easier for me at the time. I think I might review the sessions so I can understand them better.

Good post !!!

IMAfingers

#9 Martintrini

Martintrini

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationTrinidad and Tobago

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:56 AM

Steve it's amazing how much my fretting is off when I am not looking at my left hand, something I struggled with in the original course.
Thanks
Dave
Trini 2D bone

L&M guitar : Session 4 again
L&M fingerstyle : Session 3 slowly getting there
L&M blues : Session 1
L&M songs : Session 1

#10 quilter1958

quilter1958

• Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationSanford, Florida

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:49 PM

I'm am working on the first set of excersises. I agree that this is perfect for those in Sessions 7 & 8. I don't have a problem with 60 BPM. I'm trying to memorize them all. I like Steves advice to call the notes out loud.

Sherry

L & M G: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&MG The Song Hits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#11 ShadowBoxer86

ShadowBoxer86

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

I went ahead and bought both Level 1 and 2 when Steve had them on the Black Friday sale.  I wasn't going to get the first one because I felt like I knew my scales pretty good and daily practiced with the patterns Pete Huttlinger showed us on one of the Tuesday night lessons.  However, I am glad that I got that one anyway now.  I spent most of my practice time this past weekend on mostly the Level 1 sessions and was really impressed on how much more I learned.  The speed came pretty quickly as soon as I memorized each pattern and used them all over the neck.  This was pretty neat!  The first session in level one started real slow for the beginners, but picked up the pace nicely and you can just use you own metronome to quicken up the pace once you have the patterns down.  I will wait to start the Level 2 next weekend to make sure I have the muscle memory down pat for the Level 1 patterns the rest of this week (plus still working on the session 6 of the fingerstyle course).  Highly recommend, another splendid job by Steve!

#12 IMA fingers

IMA fingers

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • LocationBoston, Mass

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

I also bought both Level 1 & 2. Learning stuff I didn't know. Stevie Wonder sent me an email about the scales in 3rd pattern which I did not know but now I do    

IMAfingers

#13 Jim26

Jim26

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

I have both levels and currently working on level 1. I have the scales down and can play most of them above 60 BPM. I will start on the moveable forms next week. Playing the thirds is a great way to get them down more solid than just memorizing them. Really enjoying this and looking forward to level 2.

Jim.

#14 Dsilvar89

Dsilvar89

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

I'm Perplexed, How do you play the Major scale Thirds on the 5th and 6th strings Movable ? I don't see any fixed pattern for them.

#15 markmuse

markmuse

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

I think Steve wants us to transfer the knowledge learned from the major scales' thirds to the movable ones. I went back and redid the major scales' thirds not using the thirds' tabs, then I was able to conquer the thirds in the movable forms. I'm in Stage 17 and Steve wants us to do thirds with 3 notes on a string, so I really needed to get the concept down. It was opportune that these exercises where available at this time.

#16 Dsilvar89

Dsilvar89

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

True so the pattern stays the same but played in intervals of thirds as per whatever Major scale.

#17 markmuse

markmuse

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

Yes, It's a bit of a brain gym.  Like Steve said: it's like every thing else, given time and practice you"ll get it.

#18 Dsilvar89

Dsilvar89

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

Thanks mate !

#19 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

Yes,

There are a few of the scales that I didn't write out in the PDF (as many of you have graciously emailed me about). But I did this so that you would be forced to think about the concept of moving them.  

Any scale, finger pattern or chord form that does not use open strings can be moved to another part of the guitar to be transpose into another key by using its root.

(Wait...  let that sink in.)

Any scale, finger pattern or chord form that does not use open strings can be moved to another part of the guitar to be transpose into another key by using its root.

The trick is identifying what the root is of whatever scale, chord or whatever you're trying to move and where it is.  Once you've identified the root, then by moving the root, you can put it into another key by moving it to another place on the guitar.

Hope this helps!

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#20 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

Forgot that I bought level 1&2

Guess I need to visit these lessons
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users