When to start attending Guitar Gathering Conferences

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Deuce

The Deuce

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

Looking at the folks attending the Guitar Gathering Conference it seems most are at session 10 or more. Also the schedule seems to be for more advanced players. I'm about to move into session 5 but feel like I would not benefit much from the conference. I watch The Live Sessions each week and enjoy them but the majority of it is "guitar jiberish" because of my level of experience. At what point should I consider attending the conferences? My wife & I love Nashville and look for reasons to go visit the city. Please share your thoughts.

Dave
L&M GUITAR 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#2 Dave_White

Dave_White

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

Dave,

The Guitar Gathering Conferences are welcoming to players of all levels. I was in session 7 or 8 at the time of the conference last year. Even though some of the content was beyond my skill/understanding level, I was able to learn a lot. This is an encouraging group of folks. The best part of the conference was actually meeting individuals that I had only known through this forum. Don't be shy about joining in - you won't regret it!

L&M Guitar & Bonus 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

L&M Fingerstyle 1 2

"No virtue in this world is so oft rewarded as perseverance." - Robert Tyre Jones Jr.

"Don't just live, live well." - Pete Huttlinger

"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber

#3 DianeB

DianeB

• Validating
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:41 AM

Dave, I wholeheartedly agree with Dave White. You're in session 4? You're more than ready. Sure, just like on the live lessons, there will be a few moments when the language gets technical. But Steve and the other presenters are aware of our varied skill levels. Last year, I got to chat with Steve, Johnny Hiland, Will McFarlane, Dave, and another 15 or so more of the most friendly and encouraging geetar-pickers you'll ever meet. Greg Voros invited me to literally lean over his shoulder while he tweaked my acoustic. Come join us!   

Diane
L&M Guitar Session ...
 10 11 ...

#4 UncleHammy

UncleHammy

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  • LocationTowanda, Kansas

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:23 AM

Dave,  I had the same thought/concerns last year.  When I went to the conference I had session 5/6 down pretty well but had just started to avoid the barre chords in 7.  I have now spent another year avoiding them but in the mean time have been working on playing songs.

If you are interested you should go.  There will be topics and info that you are not ready for yet but when you get to them remembering back on them might be the kick start that the brain needs to get past a plateau.

I had never played live in front of people last year so my big learning moment was when Diane talked me into playing a song.  It wan't great but it was fun.

Look forward to seeing you there, if not this year maybe next.

-- UncleHammy

"If I make a mistake on guitar, nobody dies."  --Will McFarland at the 2015 Guitar Gathering

2013 Taylor 416ce-FLTD, 1980 Martin D25K, 2010 PRS SE Custom 24, 1968 Gibson C-1 Classic, 1992 OMI Hound Dog Dobro, 2012 Yamaha FG700S, 2013 Martin Backpacker, 2012 UncleHammy Kit built LP, 1985 Hamlin Custom fretless bass, Cigar box guitar

#5 k9kaos

k9kaos

• Validating
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:38 AM

I've had the pleasure to attend the very first in 2008, and then a few more since!

I have had a great time at each and every one!!  

And learned so much, even  when it was a bit over my head (as it still will be for some things this year, lol!)

It is really a Gathering for all levels!

It really is about the learning  :biggrin:   

And as a bonus we get to know the wonderful folks we have been chatting with here on the forums! 

Hope you can make it this year!

Barbara

I wish reality had a distortion pedal.... :)

1933 Gibson L-OO 

Martin Custom X Series (my favorite)

Ibanez Acoustic Electric

Gibson Les Paul Studio 

Fender Strat (MiM)

Epiphone P-90 Riviera

TK O'Brien Mountain Dulcimer

Johnson JB-100 Banjo

Eddy Finn Ukelele

Words of wisdom from a dear friend:  "Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

#6 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

I've had the pleasure to attend the very first in 2008, and then a few more since!

I have had a great time at each and every one!!  

And learned so much, even  when it was a bit over my head (as it still will be for some things this year, lol!)

It is really a Gathering for all levels!

It really is about the learning  :biggrin:   

And as a bonus we get to know the wonderful folks we have been chatting with here on the forums! 

Hope you can make it this year!

Has it really been 8 years since we went to the first one? I think that there are only a couple of us that have been to every one so far. 

#7 The Deuce

The Deuce

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

Hey guys thanks for your thoughts and input. I got a little excited about the Conference while reading the different comments. Sounded like too much fun and just maybe I might learn something, in Nashville to boot. Will not attend this year year but certainly will be a consideration for 2017. Your encouragement was very helpful.

Dave
L&M GUITAR 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#8 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:29 PM

Well David the Deuce.. I'll let you know in about 2 weeks.

I've been hacking at LMG for far too many years and if it wasn't for my 24 hour work schedule (yes I sleep about 2hrs per day) I'd probably have finished LMG a long time ago.

and I've been trying to get to the conference/gathering since the time of the first one.. never got scheduled till this year.

my single note melody and solo'ing are not the greatest. But I play in a choir every week with 2 guys that have been playing since 1952 and 1976,, so rhythm playing is what I do the most.

I have a song I've been working on (from the Song Hits) and I will attempt to torture the groups ears with my out of key singing.. they're in for a "treat" :)

Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#9 gotto

gotto

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • Locationsouthwest, wa.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

Well David the Deuce.. I'll let you know in about 2 weeks.

I've been hacking at LMG for far too many years and if it wasn't for my 24 hour work schedule (yes I sleep about 2hrs per day) I'd probably have finished LMG a long time ago.

and I've been trying to get to the conference/gathering since the time of the first one.. never got scheduled till this year.

my single note melody and solo'ing are not the greatest. But I play in a choir every week with 2 guys that have been playing since 1952 and 1976,, so rhythm playing is what I do the most.

I have a song I've been working on (from the Song Hits) and I will attempt to torture the groups ears with my out of key singing.. they're in for a "treat" :)

It's all about having fun for all of us going. It will be a treat.

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users