• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tekdoggy

Tekdoggy

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:04 AM

Been looking at these online, seems like an interesting guitar.

I'd like to get a gibson les paul standard, but those are way beyond my budget, so epiphone seems like a  decent compromise.

Anyone have one of these?  Would like some input on whether you like it or not.

thanks,

LMG  12345678

Gibson SG

Fender Telecoustic

Takamini Acoustic

Mustang I, Mustang Mini

Trace Elliot Speedtwin C50

Various Pedals/recording gear

#2 Ice9

Ice9

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, England

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:47 AM

I can't comment on the epi as I don't have one but have a quick look at the New 2016 50s Gibson Les Paul Tribute and the 2016 les paul studio faded. I've been playing these a lot lately and for the money they're amazingly good.

1989 Korean Squier with its spoon digging to the very bottom of the knickerbocker glory of mojo

2010 Ibanez S570B

2006 Ibanez SA120

2017 Epiphone Special VE 

Squier Telecaster (currently in bits being re-finished)

Palmer Macht 402 Power Amp, Podxt Pro, Harley Benton G112 Vintage Cab

Kala KA-S Soprano Uke

#3 olivecorduroy

olivecorduroy

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBiddeford, Maine

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

Hi Tekdoggy...i don't have the epiphone les paul-ultra iii...but i did buy an epiphone les paul standard plustop pro...and i really like it a lot...it has turned out to be the perfect guitar for me...i looked up the ultra iii just to see the similarities and differences between the two guitars...they both have the same pickups and slimtaper neck...grover tuners and a plastic nut...the ultra iii has an AAA top whereas the plustop doesn't...it is a step or two above a standard but not AAA...the ultra is chambered...and it has a bunch of added electronic features...built-in tuner...usb for recording...guitar rig software...i don't even know what that is, haha...i think the plustop pro is a stripped down ultra iii...i knew i wouldn't be using any of that so mine works for me...but i woukd think if you like to play around with recording software and recording then you might like it...i can't speak from experience with it, but i do know that i like my plustop pro...enjoy your search...and if you are like me - reading reviews, comparing specs, watching and listening to youtube demos, etc. of all the guitars out there, then it should be a fun time...george

#4 RFH

RFH

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCharlotte,NC and. Taos,NM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

I can't comment on the epi as I don't have one but have a quick look at the New 2016 50s Gibson Les Paul Tribute and the 2016 les paul studio faded. I've been playing these a lot lately and for the money they're amazingly good.

I bought a Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute a couple of months ago and love it
Martin acoustic
Gibson 60's Tribute Les Paul
Orange Crush 35RT Amp

#5 Ice9

Ice9

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, England

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

Tributes are very stripped down elemental guitars.

The "Ultra" is pretty much the opposite of that, being loaded with the latest tech bits offering a ton of capability for the tech savvy player.

Different horses for different courses as they say.

Very true that Six, there's a lot of choice at the moment.

1989 Korean Squier with its spoon digging to the very bottom of the knickerbocker glory of mojo

2010 Ibanez S570B

2006 Ibanez SA120

2017 Epiphone Special VE 

Squier Telecaster (currently in bits being re-finished)

Palmer Macht 402 Power Amp, Podxt Pro, Harley Benton G112 Vintage Cab

Kala KA-S Soprano Uke

#6 RFH

RFH

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCharlotte,NC and. Taos,NM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Rock and Blues are very elemental.........
My preference is for a guitar to be a block of wood with pickups and strings. If I want high tech i will purchase a computer
Martin acoustic
Gibson 60's Tribute Les Paul
Orange Crush 35RT Amp

#7 BobF_

BobF_

• Members
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

I had the Epi Ultra 339.  What you get extra with the Ultras are direct USB connections, which I found useless with a Windows DAW, the cool quasi-acoustic sounding pickups to blend or use independently and a really nifty tuner built into the bridge pup ring.

Once the new wore off, the cool pup ring tuner was all that I continued to use.  I just couldn't find a use for the neck-end mounted pickup.

:::

'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Yamaha A3M - Peavey Milestone Bass

Laney IRT Studio - Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001

#8 SandyB53

SandyB53

• Members
  • 835 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, Texas

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

Here is the Demo from the Epiphone Site. I watched the Demo and it looks pretty neat. I say Buy whatever you want. This Guitar sounded pretty Good and If you think you might like some of the Extra Functions...Why Not Give it a Try. I think it might be a Great Guitar for many but as always we all have differing opinions but at the End of the Day...It's about how much You will Play it and utilize it's Extra Functions.

L&MG Current Status   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Guitars:

Epiphone Limited Edition 56' Les Paul Standard Pro

Fender FSR Stratocaster Standard (MIM) HSS

Amplifiers:

Fender Mustang IV V2

For my Recording I use:

PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL and Studio One 2.6.5.30360 (Artist Version) 

My Recorded Songs on SoundCloud   Listen on Soundcloud.com

I suppose Learning to Play an Instrument and Learning to Record it go hand in hand.....I am New to Both.

#9 SandyB53

SandyB53

• Members
  • 835 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, Texas

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

OK after watching the Anderton's Demo of the  EPI LP Ultra III...I think it is Fantastic!!! WOW!!! What a Demo. The Glass Slide sounds Awesome....

L&MG Current Status   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Guitars:

Epiphone Limited Edition 56' Les Paul Standard Pro

Fender FSR Stratocaster Standard (MIM) HSS

Amplifiers:

Fender Mustang IV V2

For my Recording I use:

PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL and Studio One 2.6.5.30360 (Artist Version) 

My Recorded Songs on SoundCloud   Listen on Soundcloud.com

I suppose Learning to Play an Instrument and Learning to Record it go hand in hand.....I am New to Both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users