Photo

Getting really frustrated with Session 7.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 SandyB53

SandyB53

• Members
  • 835 posts
  • LocationLa Porte, Texas

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

I'll go along with Soreness as Normal but Numbing is Never Good No Matter What Your Doing. Have that checked out soon.

L&MG Current Status   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Guitars:

Epiphone Limited Edition 56' Les Paul Standard Pro

Fender FSR Stratocaster Standard (MIM) HSS

Amplifiers:

Fender Mustang IV V2

For my Recording I use:

PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL and Studio One 2.6.5.30360 (Artist Version) 

My Recorded Songs on SoundCloud   Listen on Soundcloud.com

I suppose Learning to Play an Instrument and Learning to Record it go hand in hand.....I am New to Both.

#22 scooter745

scooter745

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:32 PM

Yes, join the rest of us. This is a major milestone so keep that in mind.  Session 8 isn't any easier.  My hands ache as well.  Its getting better though!!

I go to Justin Guitar quite frequently.

This may help. There is a great video on the alternate shape for the major 5th string barre chords that I found helpful.  So this may help you too:

http://www.justingui...BasicBarres.php

Hang in there!!!

LMG:123456789 10 11 12 13 14 15  16 17 18 19 20

The Hits: 123456789 10 11 12 13 14 15  16 17 18 19 20

Scott

#23 dan52

dan52

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

I started session 7 last October, I have good days and bad days, some days I seem to get all the notes crisp and clear and the next day is like I am just starting.

I am having problems getting a good crisp sound the further down the fretboard I go.

At the nut I can get my finger on the edge, as I move down my finger gets flatter making it harder to create the barre.

I would like to move on, but not sure if I should till I have mastered this.

Same here. Have been working on session 7 since august and am now working on the last set of exercises in the bonus workshop. I am just now getting to the point to where I realize that I have to move on or I'll be stuck on session 7 for who knows how long. As far as I know sessions 7 and 8 may be a "never ending" learning process.

#24 tk1978

tk1978

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

Move on. Spending months upon months in Sessions 7 and 8 is as counter-productive as it gets. At this point, what is really important is to know the shapes and be able to form them with relative ease. Don't hinder your progress by doing the same exercises over and over again.

#25 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

I'll go along with Soreness as Normal but Numbing is Never Good No Matter What Your Doing. Have that checked out soon.

Turns out it was hand position: i picked up a tip that if my hand is in the proper position and i draw the instrument towards my chest, i should be able to lift my thumb away from the neck and still maintain the Barre. I try to maintain minimal pressure with the thumb and use the no thumb pressure as a drill to muscle memory the proper dropped wrist position.  the result is no more numbness.  Sandy thanks for your concern appreciate it

"Whoever knows more is the Teacher"

#26 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

Move on. Spending months upon months in Sessions 7 and 8 is as counter-productive as it gets. At this point, what is really important is to know the shapes and be able to form them with relative ease. Don't hinder your progress by doing the same exercises over and over again.

I don't know........I was stuck for the first 2 months...then suddenly a break through my fingers developed memory and hand got strength and chords and movement started happening. I wouldn't move on under you have your "magic" moment. imho

"Whoever knows more is the Teacher"

#27 Rbt618

Rbt618

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMinersville, Pa

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:14 AM

Before I started this course I was working on the F Major Barre Chord. In all honesty I was not sure what I should be working on with my guitar so I kept working on transitions that go together. I watched very close what fingers I really needed to move. I played with all this for about a year - took time for me to get the finger strength right. Then I was about ready to do a C Major - F Major - C Major transition really well. I since expanded from there and can go from most my chords to the F Major Barre chord.

My advice is practice - a lot - C Major To F Major Barre, G7 -- F Major Barre and G Major Barre. Move on as you work on this - it will happen just takes time but work on other stuff in the mean time - not like I did but then I wasn't sure what to do in those early learning days - no road map.

Gear : Ibanez Strat RG350

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez Acoustic SGT120

Roland Cube Amp

L&MG Lessons 6

" Knowledge is Good, but Experience is better !! "

#28 dlpsr

dlpsr

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Moving on does not mean stop practicing the barre chords.

As you move though, you will be using these chords more often.

I printed the pages and stapled them together and try hitting
all the chords, even open chords I know for confidence.

That will keep your muscles developing. Work on technique as well, how to form the chords
properly. Seach online for pdfs, articles, how tos etc. and save them.

It takes time to become a body builder, but you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Don't let frustration stop you in any session. There are so many chords to remember as you go along
and time and practice is the answer. I hit chords every practice, mostly.

Equipment is also key here. Some guitars are easier than others to form chords on.
Practice with the easier one. I use my Telecaster, easy to form, but the its tight
for my fat little fingers so each has it's issues.

I am with the move on crowd. As you get thru 8 and further you will find barre chords are getting easier. I fall back to review portions of sessions often.

Dave

#29 JWELLS

JWELLS

• Members
  • 6,536 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland USA

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

Gretschguy, keep the left wrist straight--firm but relaxed. Your numb thumb (Hey, love the rhyme!) is a result of a nerve being pinched. Practice is not enough; it must be Perfect Practice. You can easily form bad habits, and you've now been playing guitar long enough so that what I'll coin "tense fretting" should be a thing of the past. Concentrate on keeping that wrist straight and relaxed, so you'll be able to play for hours without tiring. Lotsa luck.

Dreams alone won't go very far; Perfect practice will make you a star.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users