• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 thumz

thumz

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

Things are getting better for me.  Trying, as Paulley puts it, to pull with the index finger more than squeeze with the thumb. 

My hand/thumb's not bothering me as much as the bottom/side of the large joint in the middle of my index finger.  Seems like the best position I've found for getting all the strings to ring clearly causes some tenderness there from putting pressure on a string.  I'm hoping that it toughens up after a little while. 

Mark

Started on: 6/7/2014 (As green as can be)

Currently Working on: Sessions 5 & 6 & 7

#22 mcg709

mcg709

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

The barre on the first fret sure is a tough one ... even my capo has problems so close to the nut. The A chord is so much easier! Maybe I could file the nut a little more? When I started, I only practiced at the first fret; progress was ... imperceptible to my ears ... slow for my fingers. This is one heck of a course!
Gibson's L&M Guitar with Steve Krenz - Session 7
Yamaha F335, Elixir Polyweb Custom Light (.011-.052)
Yamaha EG112, D'Addario Pure Nickel (.009-.041), Yamaha GA-10

#23 Paully

Paully

• Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

I've been using my acoustic guitar for the barres,
It's like working out, reps at max weight till failure.
L & M G: Session 6

Song Hits: Session 5

Yamaha F335 Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollow Body Electric

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Tascam DR-05 Digital Recorder

Cubase 6 AI

Trust God
Clean House
Help Others

#24 mcg709

mcg709

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

Lesson 7 .... & 60 new chords.
Barre chords are brilliant!
Suddenly being able to read and apply all the chord names in the 6th string barre chord exercises ... a big motivator!
Making quick and sweet sounding changes ... not so suddenly ;)
Great course!
Gibson's L&M Guitar with Steve Krenz - Session 7
Yamaha F335, Elixir Polyweb Custom Light (.011-.052)
Yamaha EG112, D'Addario Pure Nickel (.009-.041), Yamaha GA-10

#25 Jusca

Jusca

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:05 AM

My major barre is coming along nicely.  I'm up to getting the 2nd & 1st fret barre clear.  Anywhere else on the neck is clean and feels super easy.

L&M Guitar: 9,16, & Private rhythm lessons 

focusing on improving rhythmic understanding & playing

:guitar: 

#26 scooter745

scooter745

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:36 AM

Heading off to session 8.  May as well be learning the barre chords on the 5th string and continue with the major scales since its all similar stuff.  Need to keep the learning fresh.

Hand still gets sore.  Seems like forever getting these barre chords nailed down.

LMG:123456789 10 11 12 13 14 15  16 17 18 19 20

The Hits: 123456789 10 11 12 13 14 15  16 17 18 19 20

Scott

#27 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

although some instructors say place your index finger down first, a lesson I saw by David Taub, nextguitarlevel.com, was helpful.  to first learn the barre, finger an E major chord with 2,3, and fourth finger.  rest the index on the nut. next slide the chord up one fret and then lay the index finger down as straight as possible by dropping the wrist, and yes tilting the keyboard upwards helps to lay the finger down straight.  do this to strengthen the proper position rather than strengthening a crooked index finger. Remember i'm just repeating what David Taub is teaching.  

I'm just starting 7 and this will take a longer time to master and i'm committed to daily practice. I'm finding that using my fender with 9's is the easiest to barre as i develop muscle memory and strength i'll try, as has been suggested ,to work up to my acoustic.  Just sharing my observations I'm struggling like the rest.

"Whoever knows more is the Teacher"

#28 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:21 AM

bought the prohands grip strengthener. i bought 3 the light medium and heavy.  the light is workout enough. i wonder if i'll ever get to the others. i do feel it's giving the muscles a workout.  got it on amazon for around 12.00

#29 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

well i might be alone here:

Found that the eagles song "it's your world now" is not only a beautiful song but good exercise.  There is a bridge where you go from F to FM then C twice, then Am to E twice then D to D7. then back to chorus which is G7, C, Dm.  It's the most fun time in my workouts.

Guitar gathering video by Steve K on seven steps to learning unfamiliar chords is terrific imho

anyone out there?  share

#30 scooter745

scooter745

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

You're definitely not alone.  I'm in session 8 but am working on mixing open chords, 6th and 5th string barre chords.  This is a major battle and probably the toughest section in the course so far.

The song that I am focusing on his "Crazy" and "Day Tripper" from "The Song Hits" by LM.

I will take a look at "It's Your World Now," if you find it a good exercise. Is there a decent version of the song in Ultimate Guitar??

Where is the guitar gathering video?

Scott

#31 Jusca

Jusca

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:05 AM

Barre buddies, yall still pressing on? 

I'm doing great.  I'm at the 1st fret and it's clean.   I'm telling ya, the JustinGuitar chord learning method works wonders.  I played barres for 3 minutes a day/per barre shape for 2 months and it's paid off.  I still have to work on the sus shape otherwise I'm almost ready for session 8 :D

L&M Guitar: 9,16, & Private rhythm lessons 

focusing on improving rhythmic understanding & playing

:guitar: 

#32 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

You're definitely not alone.  I'm in session 8 but am working on mixing open chords, 6th and 5th string barre chords.  This is a major battle and probably the toughest section in the course so far.

The song that I am focusing on his "Crazy" and "Day Tripper" from "The Song Hits" by LM.

I will take a look at "It's Your World Now," if you find it a good exercise. Is there a decent version of the song in Ultimate Guitar??

Sorry to take so long.."It's your world now" by the eagles is an easy song. I found the sheet music by just doing a search for Tabs. Several free sites. If there is a song you like, check out the sheet music to see if at's your level and play with it. Found "Lying eyes" and "Hotel california" that way as well. John denver's country roads really easy and fun to sing along with behind closed doors. 

My hand is starting to land more simultaneously on the fretboard.  Early tendency was to to lay my index finger last. I knew that was wrong. Also was not maintaining the "claw" letting fingers fly up between chords. As soon as i focused on index finger first nearly covering the fret things started to progress.  Then next problem cropped up---"numb thumb" as Paulie stated his focus was on grip pressure I'm sure I'm doing that mistake as well.

Some sessions give euphoria other end in a sense of the panic of failure. Barre chords are the wall...I feel like i'm hammering away like when the berlin wall came down. But "I won't back down"  lol

#33 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:57 PM

Sorry to take so long.."It's your world now" by the eagles is an easy song. I found the sheet music by just doing a search for Tabs. Several free sites. If there is a song you like, check out the sheet music to see if at's your level and play with it. Found "Lying eyes" and "Hotel california" that way as well. John denver's country roads really easy and fun to sing along with behind closed doors. 

My hand is starting to land more simultaneously on the fretboard.  Early tendency was to to lay my index finger last. I knew that was wrong. Also was not maintaining the "claw" letting fingers fly up between chords. As soon as i focused on index finger first nearly covering the fret things started to progress.  Then next problem cropped up---"numb thumb" as Paulie stated his focus was on grip pressure I'm sure I'm doing that mistake as well.

Some sessions give euphoria other end in a sense of the panic of failure. Barre chords are the wall...I feel like i'm hammering away like when the berlin wall came down. But "I won't back down"  lol

the steve krenz video was on "crowd guitar" not guitar gathering.  It was live lesson Jan 12th, from his tuesday program, i can't find the link. I'm sure steve can give the link...................

#34 rOCKerDude

rOCKerDude

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:20 AM

justinguitar.com has some nice songs that alternate between barre chords and normal chords. My favourite is "Mr. Jones" by the Counting Crows. Alternating from Am to an F barre, then a Dm and an alternate G. Makes for nice practice. Of course, there's always Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" intro if you wanna give your pinky some practice, but that's going into fingerstyle.  :biggrin: Still, that song helped strengthen my pinky over time from repetitions alone.

MY RIG

Gibson Les Paul LPJ 2014

Fender Mustang I V2

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Strings (.10-.46)

Dunlop John Petrucci Signature Jazz III 1.14 pick

Fender Custom Shop 10' Instrument Cable Tweed Angled Ends

MY PROGRESS

L&M Guitar: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#35 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

came across a tip i feel is useful.

You have heard to pull the tretboard inwards so that you are doing less squeezing with your fretting hand. Try this: for g maj on down the neck lift your thumb away from the neck. you'll find with some inward pull of your fingers you don't need the thumb squeeze which causes numbness and fatique.

#36 gretschguy

gretschguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:39 AM

http://guitar.freemovies.co.uk          free site- i donate since i think it is such a wealth of good video lessons and lyrics with chords. 360 songs to choose from...great fun an good barre practice....come on it's lonely on this thread

#37 rOCKerDude

rOCKerDude

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:47 AM

Maybe a bunch of us can "get-together" virtually, decide on one song to work on, and we can all chip in different parts e.g. I play a few sections, you play a few sections, etc. Get someone with the know-how to stitch up all the videos and make it into one long slide. Now what a menagerie of videos that would make, everyone playing different parts no matter how big or small, to add up to ONE FULL-LENGTH SONG!!! Hah!

MY RIG

Gibson Les Paul LPJ 2014

Fender Mustang I V2

MY PROGRESS

#38 scooter745

scooter745

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

Well Rockerdude isn't that a killer idea......helps with this isolated individual practicing......

Scott

#39 rOCKerDude

rOCKerDude

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Well Rockerdude isn't that a killer idea......helps with this isolated individual practicing......

What song(s) are you currently working on scooter? I don't mean song exercises from the lesson book. A serious song. See if I can figure something out if yer interested. Thinking outside the box here. Just taking a break from Session 8 and simply playing music.

MY RIG

Gibson Les Paul LPJ 2014

Fender Mustang I V2

MY PROGRESS

#40 Paully

Paully

• Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

There are a few folk who do that about once a month under the heading Student Collaboration
L & M G: Session 6

Song Hits: Session 5

Yamaha F335 Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollow Body Electric

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Tascam DR-05 Digital Recorder

Cubase 6 AI

Trust God
Clean House