Photo

MIGHTY OAK MUSIC GATHERING 2015

238 replies to this topic

#21 oldjock

oldjock

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

At this point I'm about a 50% posibility of attending. I'm sure the truck would love to drive south for some warmer weather.

#22 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

OK, 

I've got a bit more information. I've checked with NAMM.  Attendance by the general public will be on Saturday July 11th.  There will be some sort of fee for this - I'm guestimating probably around $25 or so.  I tried to get the group in by registering them with our company but that isn't allowed.  So, it looks like Saturday will be the day for folks to get on to the NAMM show floor.  It's not really a "buying" type show floor.  It's more of a "seeing and playing the new things" feel, so you won't be able to purchase anything there.  But it will get you access into seeing what only music store owners see.  

This Saturday "open to the public" day is rare.  They don't do it every year and this is the only event that they do it at.  (The Anaheim winter NAMM does not allow this).  So, it's a real treat that you can get in on this.  This is the only day in the entire year that the NAMM floor will be open to the public.

I'll be able to get you badges and things like that when they open up registration in a couple of months.  

Even though this is only on Saturday, I'm pretty sure that there will be some great guitar evening events that we can get to.  

I'll keep you posted!- 

Steve 

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#23 w.d. womack

w.d. womack

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationPennsauken, New Jersey

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

50% chance as of now. Glad to see this coming together. Personally, it is not NAMM that I am concerned with, but meeting Steve and other students and maybe getting to play a bit with those that come. Just hope I don't have to miss it.

WD

#24 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

I'm currently talking with the hotel that we had the last Guitar Gathering back a few years ago.  

It's the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Nashville.  You can see it here... HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS DOWNTOWN NASHVILLE 

This hotel is up the street and within walking distance from the downtown Nashville scene on Lower Broadway with all of the clubs, BB Kings, Tootsies, Bridgestone Arena, and the convention center which is where NAMM will be at.  

I should here back with them about any group rates we could get.

I'll keep you posted.

- Steve 

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#25 3rdwaverider

3rdwaverider
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:38 AM

Given the limited access to NAMM, any further thought about the day(s) that you will devote to lessons and jamming?

#26 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:35 AM

Given the limited access to NAMM, any further thought about the day(s) that you will devote to lessons and jamming?

Yes- to give a short answer your question.

There will be something planned for every day of the week. It has not all unfolded yet. This is the first week of getting our gathering off the ground and we wanted to give everyone as much notice as possible so the date was set following previous LMG gathering, which were put together around NAMM. Please understand, NAMM is not the drawing card for our gathering. It is an event in Nashville that draws a good number of named artists into town to play in Nashville and we wanted to take advantage of the timing so our members might have a chance to enjoy More out of Nashville music scene. We are trying to build this as we go.

We as a group can do anything we want with regards to getting together and playing music, socializing, and have workshops. I will post more shortly. Thanks all for your interest

#27 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:17 AM

I know that everyone is trying to make plans, break other plans and decide if the effort, time and money is worth what you will get when you get to Nashville.

We are trying to put together a schedule that will have a balance of guitar playing, practicing, teaching, as well as social time for students and family members. We also want to make sure people have free time to enjoy events in and around Nashville during the week with family and fellow students. There is a lot to do in and around Nashville.

As we lock in a schedule, we will post it. The original thread has a basic outline day by day and as we get a feel for how many students and family members are attending, we will be able to tighten up a daily schedule. Remember, behind the scenes are logistics for workshop session rooms....... and I'm not sure how large a group we will have, so as to plan on what size room we need, as well as how many tables and chairs and all the little things to make this happen.

First and foremost........we will have fun and get to meet fellow students. We will get to have a day or two with the infamous Steve Krenz and Greg Voros. We will get to have lunch with them as well. We get to attend a live session with Steve at Gruhns Guitar Shop. You get to go through Gruhns Guitar Shop and see and play guitars. If we ask real nice, I'm sure Greg will give us the VIP tour. We will have some student jam sessions, teaching sessions, and social gatherings and time to get acquainted and make new friends as well as attend some music events in Nashville, see the Grand Ol'Opry, Music Hall Of Fame, concerts that are planned. Dine at the Blue Bird Cafe and take in local talent........

I am working on a calendar of special public events which is still not made public as yet! So it is tough to tell you what all is going on in July. NAMM on Saturday.....you get to attend and see what most of the public do not get to see.....new equipment....this is stuff you read about in magazines and on YouTube and Sweetwater, GC, MusiciansFriends and Zzounds or Sam Ash and you can be there in person.

Did I mention, you get to have fun! More to come!!!!!! Make plans and see you at the FIRST Mighty Oak Music (MOM) Gathering!!!!

#28 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

This is a soft schedule (meaning it is flexible and we may need to flop scheduled days and programs around to fit Steve and Gregs schedules):

Monday, 6JUL2015- Designated as a travel day; get settled in rooms (travel schedules are individual preference) ; meet & greet open mic & jam session; informal dinner gathering.

Tuesday 7JUL- Workshop sessions- Open session with Steve Krenz live Q&A; Music; Intructions and help! Lunch gathering!!! Evening event is to meet early at Gruhns Guitar and tour facilities and attend the 7:00PM Live Session W/Steve Krenz. 

Wednesday 8JUL-  Workshop sessions- Open sessions with and Greg Voros on Acoustic & Electric Guitar Care & Maintenance; Guitar Set Ups; and special tips and repairs. Lunch with Greg Voros! Evening is open for group gathering and jam, dinner together, and attending Nashville Events.

Thursday 9JUL- Work Shops: BLUES DAY- Students Active help & support in all LMG Sessions; Student BLUES Jam Session; Anything Blues students want to share; Group Lunch; Attend a local Blues event downtown- dinner and music!

Friday 10JUL- Work Shops: Rock-n-Roll DAY- Students Active help & support in all LMG Sessions; Student Rock-n-Roll Jam Session; Anything Rock-n-Roll students want to share; Group Lunch; Attend a local Rock-n-Roll event downtown- dinner and music!-

Saturday 11JUL- NAMM On the Floor Day; Those not interested in NAMM; Student interactive Jam Session covering Acoustic Rhythm & Finger Styles; Jazz Chords, Riffs and techniques; Lunch gathering; free time to attend local events and spend time with family and new friends

Sunday 12JUL- Designated travel day.............

This is a student gathering and individual participation is what will make this a great gathering. I need attendees to think about how you can participate. Bring your guitars if possible!  I will need to find some sound gear- amps, mics, music & mic stands, PA system, chords & Plugs....etc......anything people can bring to help, especially those who are driving. Where can you fit into one or more of these categories and days and help set up, teach, play and participate?

Please feel free to add comments and ideas. I only ask that people who have ideas, please try and provide solutions as to any logistical impact your ideas may have. There is no committee involved and this is a student driven gathering with the great help of Steve and Greg. We need to help ourselves make this a great FIRST- "MIGHTY OAK MUSIC" GATHERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 bruster

bruster

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationBoston, Ma.

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

Hi, Popeyetsm do we get badges that say " I'm With MOM "  :biggrin1:  :whistling:

#30 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

LOL.....Hmmmmmmm.you guys are keeping me on my toes here! :) I did that to shorten typing.......I guess I need to be careful and ask Steve permission........I'm sure MOM is a positive Acoronym with Steve, but maybe something he won't want to get started in reference to his Music Company.

#31 naccoachbob

naccoachbob

• Members
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationNacogdoches, Tx

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:41 AM

Popeye, are the dates pretty much set? I'm very interested in coming along with my wife. She would probably be happy to attend whatever we get going. We both will need to make work arrangements to get off at that time. Sounds like a good plan you have going on. Looking forward to this.

Play well,

Bob

Gear: Lucio Nunez "Balbina" hand crafted Classical Guitar

Jose Ramirez RA-C Classical

Eric Clapton Signature Strat "Blackie"

Les Paul Studio

Self-built Honduran Mahogany/Engelmann Spruce acoustic (in my pic)

Self-built mahogany/Sitka Spruce acoustic

Terada acoustic

MIM HSS Strat

Fender Twin Reverb Amp

#32 DavidRamey

DavidRamey

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:55 AM

I have family close to Nashville and my wife has family in Knoxville.  I would love to attend, but being on VA and Social Security Disability, I do not see a way that I could afford to go there.  It would cost $1500.00  just for the flights to get there.

David Ramey

#33 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

The dates are pretty firm and Steve is trying to get a rate on rooms at the Holiday Inn Express that is within walking distance of the downtown Broadway music scene........Steve will post as soon as he has a confirmation on room rates. We can move the location, but this location fits so many great criteria giving members access to more local music events, music Hall of Fame, convention center, restaurants, all with less travel requirements.

I have a count of 10 people that have expressed interest and a 50% or greater chance of attending.

Come out and join us for the First "Mighty Oak Music 2015" in Nashville, TN..............

Meet LMG members and make new friends
Meet and have lunch with Steve and Greg
Get live sessions with Steve in music playing & teaching (in the same room, not streamed or Skype)
Get live guitar care & set-up with Greg Voros, master Luthier at the famous Gruhns Guitar
Attend the Tuesday night "Live session with Steve KRENZ" at Gruhns Guitar
Tour Gruhns guitar and see some of the best vintage guitars and an inventory of used guitars that you can see and play
Spend time in work shops with members helping other members in sessions and areas they need extra help
Open jam sessions to share time and music
Blues Work shop to share Blues Music, LMG Session 13 help, LMG Blues Spotlight Series help
Rock-n-Roll Work Shop to share music, help students in all LMG session, jam session
Jazz, Finger Pickin & Rhythm Workshop to round out Gendre and playing styles
Enjoy the great Nashville, the great Music City and all she has to offer of music, food, history and great people.

#34 Jusca

Jusca

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:12 PM

I have a few questions for people who live in or been to Nashville. 

1. Is a car necessary to get around beyond the downtown area w/ public transportation?  

2. Do you have to pay for parking at a lot of places around the city?

I've lived in Houston and if Nashville's anything like Houston (where you absolutely need a car for everything),  I'm thinking about driving my car as it would be far cheaper than flying + renting a car.

L&M Guitar: 9,16, & Private rhythm lessons 

focusing on improving rhythmic understanding & playing

:guitar: 

#35 naccoachbob

naccoachbob

• Members
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationNacogdoches, Tx

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:31 PM

Jusca, I'm in Nacogdoches, about 2 hrs or so north of Houston, and we're driving if we go. I do have friends there, so some time during that week, we'll be spending with them. I know it's about 6 hrs to Little Rock from us, but from LR to Nashville, I am not sure. Probably leave on Sat morning and get there on Sun afternoon some time.

I looked at a website about taking a trip to the Opry, and they had an 11 page list of hotel and prices, and 3-4 pages of hotels were already booked for that week. Of course, I don't know where NAMM is going to be, but NAMM will have an effect on hotel rooms, Opry tickets, etc., I'm sure.

If I had my druthers, I'd go the week after NAMM, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the date slipped a week, but if there's going to be a group of L&M Guitar students around, I'd rather be with them.

Play well,

Bob

Gear: Lucio Nunez "Balbina" hand crafted Classical Guitar

Jose Ramirez RA-C Classical

Eric Clapton Signature Strat "Blackie"

Les Paul Studio

Self-built Honduran Mahogany/Engelmann Spruce acoustic (in my pic)

Self-built mahogany/Sitka Spruce acoustic

Terada acoustic

MIM HSS Strat

Fender Twin Reverb Amp

#36 cntryblues

cntryblues

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWeston, Mo

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

I have been there a couple times... With the hotel within walking distance, like Steve said, you can walk to most of the activities I am sure... There are parking garages that you do have to pay for around Broadway.  BUt with the summer weather the walk is not bad and my wife and I don't walk alot...  We have walked all around broadway to see it all... THere is also free parking in spots but we have found it kind of hit and miss especially in the evening...And pretty much where ever you park, there is going to be some walking involved...

Holiday Inn Express might have a shuttle back and forth to the air port, I would think....

Hope this helps

Limits are Like Fears, OFTEN JUST AN ILLUSION......

L&MG Course   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20

Song Course    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20

Blues Course    1  2  3  4  5  6 

Finger Style       1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   (Yet to Purchase)   :rightacoutsitc: 

#37 Jusca

Jusca

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

Thanks nac, six strings, and cntry for the info.  I appreciate it!

L&M Guitar: 9,16, & Private rhythm lessons 

focusing on improving rhythmic understanding & playing

:guitar: 

#38 Tom

Tom

Major Lee Oblivious

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

This is the same week as the Chet Atkins convention (Jul 8th - 11th) so I already have plans to be in town starting Monday afternoon.

I could definitely come down a day early to be there all day Monday. And I really need a Greg Voros setup!

Once Wednesday comes around though I will probably spend all my time at the Chet Convention, where the likes of the most recent guests to Live Lessons - Kirby Easler and John Knowles will be. While the schedule is never set until the last minute, this will be something you want to check out if you are a fan of Fingerstyle or just good guitar.

#39 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:06 PM

Thanks Tom you are correct...the Chet Atkins Convention will also be running this week and it just keeps getting better for those who are attending the Mighty Oak Music Gathering 2105....... This is one of the reasons we are trying to leave our schedule with flexibility.....there is so much more going one in Nashville......

http://www.chetsociety.com

Or

Type in Chet Atkins Convention 2015 for more details.

#40 bigsam

bigsam

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

Jusca, I'm in Nacogdoches, about 2 hrs or so north of Houston, and we're driving if we go. I do have friends there, so some time during that week, we'll be spending with them. I know it's about 6 hrs to Little Rock from us, but from LR to Nashville, I am not sure. Probably leave on Sat morning and get there on Sun afternoon some time.

I looked at a website about taking a trip to the Opry, and they had an 11 page list of hotel and prices, and 3-4 pages of hotels were already booked for that week. Of course, I don't know where NAMM is going to be, but NAMM will have an effect on hotel rooms, Opry tickets, etc., I'm sure.

If I had my druthers, I'd go the week after NAMM, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the date slipped a week, but if there's going to be a group of L&M Guitar students around, I'd rather be with them.

its 4 to 4.5 hrs. to nashville from little rock. depending on the backups due to road construction on i 40. made the trip many times pulling a milk tank from sulphur springs to nashville. about a 9 hr. drive from where i live in n.e. tx.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users