PDF

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 'Ning

'Ning

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

So this evening I declared myself ready to move on from Session 1 and having already watched the Session 2 video and the Session 2 Workshop video I opened the Lesson Book to take a look at what was slated to be next.

Seeing that it was "When the Saints Go Marching In" I sat down to punch it into Guitar Pro 6 (not just for the convenience of having sheet music to put on the music stand but because doing this is also a good sight reading exercise), but first I pondered a moment on how I was going to break it down for practice.  After a few minutes I realized I'd need to play through once or twice to determine which section was hardest, that being the one that would be practiced first, at which point I idly flipped a couple of pages and found at the bottom of page 15 the melody written for the left hand.  

Now I have right from the start taken every opportunity presented, when it makes any sense to do so, to alternate practicing the same material with each hand.  So if the left hand is doing chord practice then when it has met its quota it is time for the right hand to do the same ... up an octave of course.  So for me this was a no brainer.  Write a sheet for this tune giving both the melody for the right hand and the melody for the left hand, then whatever is practiced by one hand the other gets a crack at it too, and whichever hand is weaker gets a bit more practice time.  Though the intention is that this be a HS (Hands Separate) exercise I can see where it could become a nice little HT (Hands Together) exercise.

I've attached a PDF for anyone who might be interested in doing the same thing.

Note:  the melody as written for the left hand on p15 is slightly different than that written for the right hand on p9.  So the attached sheet has the left hand melody altered to be in agreement with the right hand melody as it appears on p9.

Attached File  When the Saints Go Marching In with bass melody.pdf   53.15KB   100 downloads

If you download this and find an error, or would like the GP6 file, or at some later time the PDF has been removed so that I could upload something else just PM me and I'll make the changes or send along the file as appropriate.

Edit:  see the revision post below - 'Ning

#2 'Ning

'Ning

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:20 AM

Ooops ... my bad ... there are no hard parts.

#3 Jusca

Jusca

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

No hard parts?  That's cool.  How about maybe challenging yourself?  For instance, play with different dynamics (soft, hard, medium) or different feels, make it swing or play it straight, play in a sifferent time signature  Just some ideas..

L&M Guitar: 9,16, & Private rhythm lessons 

focusing on improving rhythmic understanding & playing

:guitar: 

#4 'Ning

'Ning

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:22 PM

All good ideas but at the moment I'm more focused on being on time, is my wrist in a healthy position, am I sitting up straight, are my shoulders relaxed, what is the idle hand doing, are my feet flat on the floor, when playing chords (other songs) are the keys dropping together, how much tension is there while my finger(s) linger at the bottom of the key drop, blah blah yadda yadda ...

#5 Jusca

Jusca

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

Cool.  Sounds like you've got a good plan for learning the piano with the course.  I'm gonna borrow some of those things to look out for.  :)

L&M Guitar: 9,16, & Private rhythm lessons 

focusing on improving rhythmic understanding & playing

:guitar: 

#6 'Ning

'Ning

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:34 PM

Yesterday I worked up the tempo with both hands to the point I was ready to play along with the 70 BPM track.  To say I was a little miffed to find that the last bar wasn't being played as a whole note is an understatement.  After all the time I spent counting out that whole note while working WtSGMI up to tempo with each hand I just couldn't quite get the hang of coming in on time with the eight notes in that last bar.  So it looks like I'll need to retrain and toward that end I've revised the score accordingly ...

Attached File  When the Saints Go Marching In with bass melody v2.pdf   65.19KB   92 downloads

This will be the last time I write a score for something in the Lesson Book without first checking that it is consistent with the play along track on the CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users