Photo

1st Chord Progression - Sheet Music (PDF)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 'Ning

'Ning

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

Got tired of looking at the slash chord representation of this progression so I booted up GuitarPro 6 and created the sheet music.  I've attached the file as a PDF.  At some time it is likely I'll delete this just to have space to upload something else, or if someone wants the GP6 file, then PM me along with your email address and I'll send it.

Attached File  1st Chord Progression.pdf   33.97KB   180 downloads

Lots of firsts here.  First time using GP6 to create sheet music for keyboard.  First time writing on the grand staff.  First time exploring GP6's feature set for keyboards.  First time printing out sheet music for keyboard.  First time I didn't include either TAB or chord boxes in the sheet music.

Oh ... right ... if you find a mistake let me know so I can correct it.

#2 sjr2k

sjr2k

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

Great job creating the pdf file. One change I would make is to move the repeat sign

back from the end of the 5th measure to the end of the 4th measure. The whole note

chord in the 5th should be the end of the progression.

L&MP Session 25

Yamaha P-85

#3 'Ning

'Ning

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

sjr2k, thank you for taking the time to express your appreciation for my effort.

As to your recommendation regarding the placement of the repeat.  Frankly I hadn't given it any thought.  However, now that I have and have considered several responses I've chosen - From a performance standpoint I'm inclined to agree with you, but from a practice standpoint I regard it as an inefficient use of one's time to play four bars twice to practice five.

#4 Alice

Alice

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

Nice job 'Ning! I wasn't familiar with Guitar Pro 6, so I looked it up. Looks like a nice software program, and very reasonable in price. I have Sibelius on my computer, but we haven't been able to get it to work since we moved it to our new computer. Bummer.

I think the reason sjr2k suggested moving the repeat sign is that if you listen to the play-along CD, the first four bars of this chord progression (and others to follow) are repeated several times, and then it finally ends on that last chord. So as far as playing with the CD, there really should be a repeat sign at the end of the fourth bar. I think some people might find it very confusing, the way it is written in the book. I did notice that in session four on page 16, Will does introduce the repeat sign.

However, I do appreciate your PDF file. Even though I can look at the chord symbols and figure out what the chords are, I get a better grasp of them if they are initially written out, and I hadn't thought about doing that myself. So thank you for a good idea and for sharing the file with us. Have fun playing with your new software program!

L&M Guitar  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&M The Song Hits  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

L&M Piano  1 2 3 4

#5 'Ning

'Ning

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Alice!

There are a couple freeware score writers one can download, TuxGuitar and MuseScore.  MuseScore's web site has a fairly large library of scores one can download.  I've used both in the past but each lacked a feature I thought important to me.  So far GP6 has done everything I've asked of it.  Perhaps the nicest feature is that one can select from a long list of instruments to play back a score, supposedly the acoustic piano is a Steinway.  One can download a free trial version of GP6, it is limited in some way but I can't remember if it is that it won't let you save a file or it is that it won't let you print a score, or both.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

http://musescore.org/en

I've been using GP6 for about year, mostly creating exercises for guitar to address specific technical issues, or when working with some book that doesn't like being on a music stand then I create the sheet music just for the sake of convenience.  I also spend some time working on classical guitar and there is tendency for exercises to show up as duets so it is handy to have one part or the other being played by the score writer to play along with.  For piano something new has happened, I've a three ring binder now with my repertoire.  At the moment this is limited (three songs, all now up to tempo, one melody only) but that there is anything at all three weeks after resuming piano is very pleasing.  That this is new comes from my change in perception on the importance of having a repertoire with which one can practice the skills one learns from these courses.

Earlier I had noticed that this chord progression shows up again on p16 as a pedal exercise.  I had just sat down to check if it appeared again later when I read your post.  And so it does.  Once to hear the contrast of the C being replaced with Am (p19), and again transposed to another key (p29).  I wouldn't be at all surprised if it shows up a couple more times.

So one might expect that between the way I'm practicing it currently, the way it is on the CD, the contrast with Am version, and the transposed version that it is likely I'll prep sheet music for each and should I do so I'll add them to this thread unless someone beats me to it.

There is something familiar about this progression, I know it from somewhere, I might even have it on CD or vinyl, but I can't place it.  I want to say Billy Joel but I'm just guessing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users