Chords

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 allocca

allocca

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

I ordered the course and downloaded the pdf workbook. I started reading it and I don't like it already. You talk about a chord being the root, 3rd and 5th notes. I find this kind of lesson very annoying because a chord is the root, 5th and 8th notes. 

John

#2 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hello John (a.k.a. "allocca"),

In general (except for so-called  "power chords" which consist of only two notes, those at scale degrees 1 and 5 --- the tonic and fifth), a chord consists of three or more notes played simultaneously or as an arpeggiated or a broken sequence of notes.

A root position major triad (a three note chord) is formed when the notes at scale degrees 1, 3 & 5 (of a major scale) are played with the tonic note (from scale degree 1) as the lowest pitched note, the note from scale degree 3 (at a higher pitch) forms a major third interval with that tonic note, and the note from scale degree 5 (at a still higher pitch) forms a perfect fifth interval with that same tonic note.

Different types of, or more complex, chords are formed by replacing/substituting one or more note(s) in a triad and/or adding one or more note(s) to a triad.  For example, a suspended fourth chord consists of the notes at scale degrees 1, 4 & 5.  A dominant seventh chord consists of the notes at scale degrees 1, 3, 5 & b7 (where b7 denotes that the note at scale degree 7 is to be flatted).

Chord inversions are formed from reorganizing the notes in a chord to provide different soundscapes and/or to facilitate chord-to-chord transitions.  For example, in the chord progression C, F, G7, C, consider using the following sequence of notes for those chords: C, E, G (a root position C-major chord); C, F, A (a second inversion F-major chord); D, F, G, B (a second inversion G-seventh chord); E, G, C (a first inversion C-major chord).

I hope this information helps you to better understand some of the basics of chord construction and usage.  Keep asking/posting questions on music and piano playing until the answer(s) you receive completely satisfy you.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users