going to try again

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FenderBender

FenderBender

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

I bought this course in 2007. I got to session 4 and at that time my mother passed away from cancer. I pretty much fell into a funk and put my guitar down.. Shortly there after my father died and I pretty much lost my motivation to do anything. I didnt care about anything or anybody, including myself.. I was as useless as a human could be.

I have always love the guitar and watching people play. As a child of the 70's I have seen almost all the great rock bands and guitar players. Recently I saw the TedeschiTrucks Band featuring Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi. I was completely blown away by her voice and his playing. It literally brought tears to my eyes.. I had never felt anything like that from just watching someone play. it was amazing. If you have not heard of them go check them out.

Well Derek has inspired me to start the course over and I got my guitar out for the first time in over 5 years. I am back and hope to get through the entire course this time around. I am glad to be back and was thrilled to find my password still worked for this awesome forum. I do remember what great forum this is  and what a good community of members it has. Happy trails to all !   Dave

#2 Jim26

Jim26

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

Welcome back Dave. Good luck moving forward. I saw Trucks and Tedeschi on a television special once. I know what you mean about his playing and her singing.

Jim

#3 David Sopp

David Sopp

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

Welcome Back Dave, sorry about your loss. I know the feeling of just giving up I did the same after my 2nd Divorce Till I got mad at myself. Evidently the fire never totally went out, Go make something happen, maybe come up with a nice song for your parents.  Best of luck        David

#4 JWELLS

JWELLS

• Members
  • 6,536 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland USA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Been there, done that: death and divorce. Guitar is great therapy. Lotsa luck.

Dreams alone won't go very far; Perfect practice will make you a star.

#5 d2_racing

d2_racing

• Members
  • 1,934 posts
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Welcome back.

"They are 3 kinds of people : quiters,campers and climbers" Steve Krenz.

I'm a climber.

Starting date : January 25 2013.

Student of the Month January 2014.

Live Lesson Special Guest July 15 2014.

L&M Guitar: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20
L&M Guitar Setup and Maintenance: 1,23

Guitar : El Degas G-10

Guitar:  Fender Superstrat 1988 Blackie
Guitar : Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium 2013 Honey Burst Quilt Top

Guitar : Epiphone Dove PRO 2013
Amp    : Tiger TGA20D

Amp    : Marshall CSJTM145

Amp    : Marshall CSJTMOSH

Cab    : Petersen 1x12 custom size Celestion Creamback G12M-65 8 ohms

#6 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Welcome back Dave.......music knows no boundaries, it welcomes all!

#7 Paully

Paully

• Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

Welcome back. Hope this course is theraputic for you. Use your feelings to color your playing. :)
Ciao,
Paully
L & M G: Session 6

Song Hits: Session 5

Yamaha F335 Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollow Body Electric

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Tascam DR-05 Digital Recorder

Cubase 6 AI

Trust God
Clean House
Help Others

#8 NorCalMike

NorCalMike

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

Gotta agree with JWells. Guitar is great therapy. I start 4 months ago and have gone through lots of family turmoil. I can pick up the guitar and practice or just noodle around and it allows to forget about all the turmoil. It is great therapy.

Mike

L&M Guitar 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Custom Made Electric that my daughter made in wood shop in the 8th grade

Wood Shop Rocks

#9 David Sopp

David Sopp

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Gotta agree with JWells. Guitar is great therapy. I start 4 months ago and have gone through lots of family turmoil. I can pick up the guitar and practice or just noodle around and it allows to forget about all the turmoil. It is great therapy.

It's a proven fact, Hobbies such as music, learning another language. crossword puzzles, any thing that makes you have to think is theraputic. It helps in the prevention of Dimentia, ALS and others not coming to mind right now.Of course my doctor was a little concerned when my blood pressure was slightly up this past Thursday. I told him not to worry, it was Session 7.

#10 Dan Brown

Dan Brown

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBradley Beach, N.J.

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Welcome back Dave!

I can relate, lost my Father a little over a year ago, I still think about him every day.

But, I know that my Dad would have never wanted to see me give up something I love doing

because of his passing, and I'm sure your parents would feel the same way.

So, go for it, and make them proud !!!

Dan Brown    :electricguitar:

"SO MANY RESOURCES, SO LITTLE TIME!"                                           Fender Squier Strat MIM   1993                                        Fender Mustang II Amp 40W
Learn and Master Guitar Session 20                                                         Yamaha FG 400A Acoustic Guitar                                   Fender Frontman Amp  25W
Song Hits Session 7                                                                                       Charvel 625C Custom Acoustic Electric                       BOSS eBand  JS-8
Spotlight Series Blues Guitar Session 3   
                                               Harmony Meteor semi-hollow body circa 1958           Fender Champion 600 Amp 5W 

Epiphone Limited Edition ES 355

STUDENT OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2012                                                 Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus

Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II

Martin backpacker  

Martin DRS2 Acoustic/electric 2014

#11 k9kaos

k9kaos

• Validating
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

Welcome back Dave!  

Have had a couple of stops and starts myself, an interstate move, and life in general sometimes got in the way.  

Keep at it!  I find practice time is relaxing, even if I am working on something frustrating (Canon in D comes to mind.... lol).

My dad passed away last year, but he always liked to hear me practicing (even when I was clunking thru session 4 forever!) 

and was so happy when I learned the Star Spangled Banner, the tough old Navy vet that he was :) 

Play on!  :D

Barbara

I wish reality had a distortion pedal.... :)

1933 Gibson L-OO 

Martin Custom X Series (my favorite)

Ibanez Acoustic Electric

Gibson Les Paul Studio 

Fender Strat (MiM)

Epiphone P-90 Riviera

TK O'Brien Mountain Dulcimer

Johnson JB-100 Banjo

Eddy Finn Ukelele

Words of wisdom from a dear friend:  "Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

#12 quilter1958

quilter1958

• Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationSanford, Florida

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

The only thing I can add is Welcome Back!  Also - since your guitar has been sitting around for the last 5 years, bring it in for a set-up and new strings to make things easier for yourself.

Sherry

L & M G: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&MG The Song Hits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#13 Dave_White

Dave_White

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Welcome back - enjoy the journey!

L&M Guitar & Bonus 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

L&M Fingerstyle 1 2

"No virtue in this world is so oft rewarded as perseverance." - Robert Tyre Jones Jr.

"Don't just live, live well." - Pete Huttlinger

"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber

#14 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

WB :biggrin:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/
Guest Password is JelloManKent

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#15 Alice

Alice

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

Welcome back, Dave! I hope you enjoy playing your guitar again. It's one of my favorite things to do every day.

L&M Guitar  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&M The Song Hits  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

L&M Piano  1 2 3 4

#16 LMG Guitar Nut

LMG Guitar Nut

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

you like Derek and Susan.. Check out Joe Bonamassa,

esp the 2009 Royal Albert Hall DVD (there is a 2013 DVD as well but stick to the 2009 one first)

#17 DONAL

DONAL

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

Dave. It is great to see someone else starting up again, as I just did myself today.  Whatever level of playing you attain be proud of yourself as your family would be.  There are millions of people out there that are going to do something but let setbacks stop them from ever doing anything.  Life can seem sometimes seem like all it does is knock us down, but those that keep getting up and carrying on are the real winners.  Take the suggestion on getting a setup done, easier playing and better sounding!    Best of luck to you.

Allen D Rude

#18 randy120

randy120

• Members
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

My condolences to you.

Welcome back!

Randy

L&M Guitar Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry

​Ovation Standard Balladeer

Taylor NS24ce

​Taylor GS Mini

​Fender G-DEC 30

Fishman Loudbox Mini

Peavey Classic 30 II

http://soundcloud.com/randy120/tracks/

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

― Albert Einstein

#19 DONAL

DONAL

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

Ok. After three (3) years I can finally sit up long enough for a productive practice session. I cannot believe that amount of time has passed. I restarted at the very beginning as I felt this was fastest route to new calluses, finger dexterity, tempo to name a few. I was in lesson 8 when I had my accident and I tried to just m p back in that lesson. Each practice got more frustrating which led to the restart decision. I also added the Song Hits and Spotlight on Blues course supplements for when I am ready for them. I will be starting lesson four next week both core and bonus. I am now using a metronome to each session as this eliminates developing bad tempo and gives structure to the sessions. I was playing slow, fast, slow fast depending on fingering difficulty. Using the metronome forces me to play correct note values as I go from string to string etc. I am finding a lot of value in this approach. Carry on Guitar lovers and remember while playing more may be painful, playing more builds calluses which making playing easier and make you a better guitar player overall.
Allen D Rude

#20 randy120

randy120

• Members
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

Ok. After three (3) years I can finally sit up long enough for a productive practice session. I cannot believe that amount of time has passed. I restarted at the very beginning as I felt this was fastest route to new calluses, finger dexterity, tempo to name a few. I was in lesson 8 when I had my accident and I tried to just m p back in that lesson. Each practice got more frustrating which led to the restart decision. I also added the Song Hits and Spotlight on Blues course supplements for when I am ready for them. I will be starting lesson four next week both core and bonus. I am now using a metronome to each session as this eliminates developing bad tempo and gives structure to the sessions. I was playing slow, fast, slow fast depending on fingering difficulty. Using the metronome forces me to play correct note values as I go from string to string etc. I am finding a lot of value in this approach. Carry on Guitar lovers and remember while playing more may be painful, playing more builds calluses which making playing easier and make you a better guitar player overall.

We moved to a different forum. Come on by.

https://www.guitarga...unity/index.php

Randy

L&M Guitar Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry

​Ovation Standard Balladeer

Taylor NS24ce

​Taylor GS Mini

​Fender G-DEC 30

Fishman Loudbox Mini

Peavey Classic 30 II

http://soundcloud.com/randy120/tracks/

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

― Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users