Photo

Session 17, Gettin' the Blues:Pop Progression passing chords?

Session 17Gettin the Blues Workshop Pop Progression Passing Chords Learn & Master Piano 34

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Los5782

Los5782

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

This is coming from session 17: 'Gettin' the Blues', specifically when you get to the workshop and are learning the 'Pop Progression' 

This is not too big of an issue, & I'm sure somewhere in my mind I'm missing a simple detail which is why I'm not understanding something right NOW that I probably already now, but I'm the real OCDish/quick to stress type. 

I start stressing before I even begin to looking for the answer, the following is the piece in question: 
http://gyazo.com/5f2...cc888d45cfba826 

I'm no where no a professional yet, & am self teaching (i've made tons of progress since starting from complete scratch 6 months ago, no music/instrument experience at all) & I know that I usually can figure things out if I just keep going, eventually I cover something later on that helps me understand prior points of confusion, but like I mentioned the OCD is driving me crazy, & I've been sitting at the piano all day stuck on this in semi depression, lol. 

In total the instructor (Will Barrow) plays a total of 27 chords, which makes sense by what's written on the staff. The 13 displayed chords x2 (because of the repeat symbol) + the resolving Eflat, what's confusing me is at the top of the staff, which from what I understand shows passing chords, & also that from what I heard is what Will Barrow is stating/instructing for the piece in the video, yet he's only playing the chords that I see illustrated in the staff. For example in the 2nd & 3rd bars I see that on top of the staff it's showing D & then C. I don't see that in the treble clef staff though. As I wrote this, I began thinking it may have something to do with the left hand in the bass clef, & the bass clef notes? Maybe passive chords(notes) can be played within both the treble & bass. I don't know I'm confused. Can someone confirm my recent thinking, or explain this whole situation? Thank you. 

#2 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hello "Los5782,"

This is coming from session 17: 'Gettin' the Blues', specifically when you get to the workshop and are learning the 'Pop Progression' 

This is not too big of an issue, & I'm sure somewhere in my mind I'm missing a simple detail which is why I'm not understanding something right NOW that I probably already now, but I'm the real OCDish/quick to stress type. 

I start stressing before I even begin to looking for the answer, the following is the piece in question: 
http://gyazo.com/5f2...cc888d45cfba826 

I'm no where no a professional yet, & am self teaching (i've made tons of progress since starting from complete scratch 6 months ago, no music/instrument experience at all) & I know that I usually can figure things out if I just keep going, eventually I cover something later on that helps me understand prior points of confusion, but like I mentioned the OCD is driving me crazy, & I've been sitting at the piano all day stuck on this in semi depression, lol. 

In total the instructor (Will Barrow) plays a total of 27 chords, which makes sense by what's written on the staff. The 13 displayed chords x2 (because of the repeat symbol) + the resolving Eflat, what's confusing me is at the top of the staff, which from what I understand shows passing chords, & also that from what I heard is what Will Barrow is stating/instructing for the piece in the video, yet he's only playing the chords that I see illustrated in the staff. For example in the 2nd & 3rd bars I see that on top of the staff it's showing D & then C. I don't see that in the treble clef staff though. As I wrote this, I began thinking it may have something to do with the left hand in the bass clef, & the bass clef notes? Maybe passive chords(notes) can be played within both the treble & bass. I don't know I'm confused. Can someone confirm my recent thinking, or explain this whole situation? Thank you. 

The chord identifiers (names) shown above the treble staff are short-form descriptions of the chords in the piece, some of which use notes written only on one staff (the treble staff in this case), while others include the notes written on both the treble and bass staffs.  Identifiers that include a "/" character are often referred to as "slash chords."  The character (characters) that follows (follow) such a "slash" specifies (specify) the lowest-pitched note in the desired structure (inversion) of the chord to be played.

For the notation you included in your post, notice that the Ab/Eb chord identifier indicates that an Ab-major chord is to be played with the note Eb as the lowest-pitched note in that chord.  That lowest-pitched Eb note is provided by the Eb half-note written on the bass staff that is to be still sounding (ie. is being held) when the eighth-note Ab-major triad written on the treble staff is to be struck and held for one half of a beat.  (Incidentally, that triad is written in first inversion.)

Similarly, the identifiers Bb/D, Eb/D, Fm/C and Fm/Ab simply indicate that some form/structure/inversion of the chord named on the left side of the slash is to be played/sounded together with the note named on the right side of that slash, and the latter note is to be the lowest-pitched note in the identified chord.  Each such chord then consists of four notes sounding together, but not necessarily struck at the same time.  (In other pieces, the resultant chord may include more than four notes sounding simultaneously.  Sometimes, the note after the slash may not be a note that is part of the chord named to the left of the slash.)

I hope this brief reply answers your expressed concerns and helps you to understand "slash chords."

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Session 17Gettin the Blues, Workshop, Pop Progression, Passing Chords, Learn & Master Piano, 34

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users