10 replies to this topic

#1 blackandwhitekees

blackandwhitekees

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hello All:

First post-name is Phil

I know some will move on after playing the rt hand chords in whole notes with the 5ths, but I would really like to take the time to master both hands with the licks in the rt hand.

I am trying to build muscle memory with the lft hand 5ths first alone as one approach.  Has anyone used other approaches to break through the barrier of putting the 5ths with the licks in this lesson?

I am truly a beginner but do play amazing grace with the triplets and fur elise as well.

All help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

#2 bohemian

bohemian

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

I wish I could help you, Phil, but I'm having the same problem putting both hands together on this. That is the reason I have been working on Session 18 for more than 4 months. I've had great success in prior sessions playing with both hands even when it wasn't required to move on. I just can't get the timing right on this. I think if I had the sheet music for both hands together on the grand staff, I could be playing it in a day or two. Good luck!

Frank
Learn & Master Piano
Currently Working On Session 19

Learn & Master Guitar
Currently Working On Session 2

Bohemia Concerto 132
Yamaha P-200
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Fender Mustang lll

#3 blackandwhitekees

blackandwhitekees

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the reply Frank.

I was not sure if anyone still used the forum.  Got lots of views so maybe someone will post some ideas we can use to get this done.

Phil

#4 blackandwhitekees

blackandwhitekees

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

Frank and members:

Mystery posted a thorough method of doing just that back in Jan 2011 in response to a member's inquiry.  Was not able to post a link but the post is under the ask will column on page 4, and the subject was "Blues lick#2 in session 18" started by Clavinovaguy with response by Mystery.

Phil

#5 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hello Phil, Frank & Other Interested L&M Piano Students,

Frank and members:

Mystery posted a thorough method of doing just that back in Jan 2011 in response to a member's inquiry.  Was not able to post a link but the post is under the ask will column on page 4, and the subject was "Blues lick#2 in session 18" started by Clavinovaguy with response by Mystery.

Phil

Here's the link to the post referred to by Phil:

http://community.lea...18/#entry152077

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#6 bohemian

bohemian

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Thank you for your diligence in finding that thread, Phil. Before I begin a new session, I browse the "Specific Session Questions" forum for anything that pertains to the session. I didn't think of browsing the "Ask Will" forum. Using the method that Mystery proposes, I should be able to master this hands together before too long, and go on to Session 19.
And, of course, I would be remiss if I didn't put out a big THANK-YOU to Mystery, as well!

Frank
Learn & Master Piano

Learn & Master Guitar

Bohemia Concerto 132
Yamaha P-200
Fender Mustang lll

#7 bohemian

bohemian

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:22 AM

Hey Phil--
Have you had. any luck with this? Using Mystery's method I' m playing this with both hands, and steadily working my way to playing it at 102 bpm. I hope that you're doing as well, or better!

Frank
Learn & Master Piano

Learn & Master Guitar

Bohemia Concerto 132
Yamaha P-200
Fender Mustang lll

#8 blackandwhitekees

blackandwhitekees

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi Frank-sent u a pm-did you receive it

Phil

#9 bohemian

bohemian

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:08 AM

Hey Phil--
I did get your PM, but I had a death in the family. I think I can help you with this, so I'll PM you in a few days.

Frank
Learn & Master Piano

Learn & Master Guitar

Bohemia Concerto 132
Yamaha P-200
Fender Mustang lll

#10 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Welcome :biggrin:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/
Guest Password is JelloManKent

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#11 ravindra

ravindra

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

Hi All,

This is where you get in to most difficult piece in this series so far, where you have to play your hands independently simultaneously while coordinating between them. You may feel it is very difficult at first but with continuous practice you will be able to get this thing down. Follow the given instructions for Blue Lick 1 and 2 and try that out. The bottom line here is slow it down and break it down.

For Blues Lick #1

=========================================

The important thing to be noted here is the broken triplets in written music which comes due to the bending the keys using the grace notes. Here we don't land on the B♭, rather we skip that off and land on B, leading to this broken triplet form in written music.

• First practice right hand melody till you become master at it.
  • Then play only the bass note (G, C and D) in your left hand in whole notes, half notes, quarters and eighths while laying the melody on top it as slowly as you need to.
  • Make sure to keep both your hands as relax as possible while doing this at the instrument.
  • Then add the Boogie Woogie fifths in half, quarter notes and eighth notes slowly while playing the Blue Lick #1 on top of it till you become master at it.
  • Then play Boogie Woogie 5ths going to 6ths in quarter notes and eighth notes while playing the Blue Lick #1 on top of it as slowly as you need to while keeping your hands relax.
  • Then slowly add the syncopation in left hand, just play single note (G, C and D) in syncopated eighth notes.
  • Once you are done with that, just add the syncopation in Boogie Woogie 5ths only.
  • Finally add the syncopation in Boogie Woogie 5th going to 6th, and lay the BlueLick#1 on top of it.

For Blues Lick #2

=========================================

This is even more harder. Follow the instructions given below to get this thing down.

• First practice right hand melody till you become master at it.
  • Since the right hand melody is bit difficult at first let's leave off the top most note and only play the underneath two notes just to break this down first in your right hand.
  • Then play only the bass note (G, C and D) in your left hand in whole notes, half notes, quarters and eighths while laying the melody on top it as slowly as you need to (optionally leaving off the top most note in Lick#2).
  • Make sure to keep both your hands as relax as possible while doing this at the instrument.
  • Then add the Boogie Woogie fifths in half, quarter notes and eighth notes slowly while playing the Blue Lick #2 on top of it till you become master at it.
  • Then play Boogie Woogie 5ths going to 6ths in quarter notes and eighth notes while playing the Blue Lick #2 on top of it as slowly as you need to while keeping your hands relax.
  • Then slowly add the syncopation in left hand, just play single note (G, C and D) in syncopated eighth notes.
  • Once you are done with that, just add the syncopation in Boogie Woogie 5ths only.
  • Finally add the syncopation in Boogie Woogie 5th going to 6th, and lay the BlueLick#2 on top of it.
  • Once you got through all the above steps you may slowly add the top note in your BlueLick#2 and play it all the way through the 12 Bar Blues form.

Thanks & Regards,

Ravindra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users