lighting system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charita

charita

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

Hello Vince, what would be a good 3 lighting system for me to start out with.  I have a budget of 300 to 400 dollars to spend on a set.  I am getting confused on what to buy.  I want to be a quality portrait photographer.  I am in the investment and learning stage of photography and I do not want to get ripped off with buying junk. I am looking at a Smith-victor FL 130K 3-light 330w/s basic studio kit for $369.00 on Amazon.com.  Is this a system to purchase?  Thanks! Charita Chandler

#2 JaysonInDaytona

JaysonInDaytona

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDaytona Beach Area

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

Look at http://www.paulcbuff.com/index.php.  He really made the monolight what it is.

Maybe Start with a single strobe setup like http://www.paulcbuff.com/b800.php add a with a lightstand and a softbox...  Then Add a second and third light.... They are a USA company so service and repair is handy... I do not even know who makes SV products anymore I only ever used their hot lights ages ago( I do not suggest hot lights ).

I have a b1600 and a b800.... They work well and are a good balance of quality and gear...

Jayson Harrington/K4ZAG

“There are only two types of music: good and bad. “Everything else is just indexing”.  - Hugh Laurie ( In this case)

MY  guitar's are:

A little Stella USA made with that steel reinforced neck...

A (MIM) Fender Standard in white and chrome with standard ceramic strat pickups named Lucy...

A Yamaha EG303 :black with red pickguard and gold hardware with ( being redone ) humbuckers named Bettie...

AMPS:

Yamaha 15 watt kit amp (came with the Yamaha ages ago)

Fender Mustang 1 V2 ( Much better than the above that I will never touch again)

#3 charita

charita

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Hello Jayson, thank you so much for your advice.  I was actually thinking on the way home today from work that perhaps starting out with just one Alien Bee light would be better than spending money on junk.  Your reply is confirmation as to what I need to do.  Thanks for the links to a vendor that can be trusted!

Thanks again, and have a wonderful blessed day! :biggrin:

Charita Chandler

#4 Vince Wallace

Vince Wallace

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

Hello Vince, what would be a good 3 lighting system for me to start out with.  I have a budget of 300 to 400 dollars to spend on a set.  I am getting confused on what to buy.  I want to be a quality portrait photographer.  I am in the investment and learning stage of photography and I do not want to get ripped off with buying junk. I am looking at a Smith-victor FL 130K 3-light 330w/s basic studio kit for $369.00 on Amazon.com.  Is this a system to purchase?  Thanks! Charita Chandler

Hi Charita, don't know if you'll receive this reply.  I agree with Jayson's response and wonder what you decided to do?  I also noted a question you had about lighting in a post the same day.  I'm sure by now you've figured a bunch of things out - I don't normally check this section - if you have any other questions in the future, just post them in the Ask Vince Wallace section of the forum, or for even faster interaction, post to my Silver Hill Images Facebook page!  Hope you're doing well and enjoying your photographic journey!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users