• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JWELLS

JWELLS

• Members
  • 6,536 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland USA

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:53 PM

You shouldn't be using your thumb to play barre chords. I can only suppose you missed the strings about this. Read it and please change your technique:

http://www.DouglasNi...ferssecret.html

Hope you adopt it. Your thumb will thank you. Fondly, John
Dreams alone won't go very far; Perfect practice will make you a star.

#2 Reggie

Reggie

• Members
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

dpv,

Everyone is different, but I think that if your thumb is starting to hurt, it's a sign that you're using the wrong muscles. With barre chords, and guitar playing in general really, you shouldn't be squeezing the neck with your thumb. In fact, you should pretty much be able to play without using your thumb at all. Of course, this is easier said than done, and I struggle with this issue myself sometimes!

Anyways, to wrap this up, Steve has discussed this in the past, and here's a recent thread with some good advise in it:

Building Strength in Index for Barre Chords

Adrien.

#3 dpv

dpv

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

cool, thanks for the replies.

I just realized there was a yahoo group with GP files , so I joined and I'm going to work on some exercises tonight.

#4 Resurrected

Resurrected

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

Don't sweat it.... it does take time and mine still will ache after weeks on sess 7. And once it starts feeling better, sess 8 will start the whole hurt process all over again. Muahahahha

You know how to cheer a guy up ;)
http://www.re-warwick.co.uk/

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right - H. L. Mencken

The blues are the roots; Everything else is the´╗┐ fruits.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

#5 Myrdhinn

Myrdhinn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

Don't sweat it.... it does take time and mine still will ache after weeks on sess 7. And once it starts feeling better, sess 8 will start the whole hurt process all over again. Muahahahha

Guitar Gear: Les Paul > Duo Sonic > Luna Athena > Digitech RP-500 > Vox AD30 > M1 Active 620 monitors = All this and I still suck. ;p
Camera Gear: Sony A65/A500/A200, Sony 18-70, 18-55, 16-105mm/ Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro, 28-200 XR IF, 200-400 f5.6, , 70-300 USD, 70-200 f2.8/ Minolta 500 AF Reflex f8 mirror /Sony HVL-F42M flash /Vanguard Alt Pro + 263 tripod /w SBH 250 ballhead and sundry bits of stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petermcn/

#6 Sergeant Bri

Sergeant Bri

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

It will go away, but it will take a while.

Your thumb has to apply the same force as all of your fingers combined in order to balance that force, so barre chords are pretty demanding.
We shall press the button.
We shall receive the bacon.
So it is written.

#7 dpv

dpv

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

hey folks,

I can fret barre chords pretty easy, but my thumb really starts to hurt after only playing maybe 6-10 barre chords in a row.

my thumb is a little lower than regular open chords, but of course I am having to squeeze harder.

will this go away or am I doing something wrong?

thanks for any advice.

#8 Mothi Ghimire

Mothi Ghimire

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:46 AM

I did not face this problem when I was doing the exercises but when I started to do all barre chords on the home on the range using the fast version jam along cd track, my thumb starts to get hurt by the end of the song. The jam along track goes on for two times so, I could manage the first time but when it continues to the second time, I had to give up in the mid way because my thumb couldn't hold it anymore. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users