harmonic and melodic scale

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 belish_me

belish_me

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

please,i do not understand the usefulness of harmonic or melodic scale.what are they use for? there scale seems different.onething again about your lesson is that.you teach like your audience or student are proffesional.please teach as if you are teaching someone who does not even know aphabelt of the keyboard please.what is the usefulness or harmonic and melodic scale please?

#2 Will Barrow

Will Barrow

Author: Learn & Master Piano

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hey Belish-me,

The usefullness and meaning of the harmonic and melodic minor scales is in their unique sound and "color".These two scales begin the same as a natural minor scale,but their last couple of notes are different. On an A minor scale [natural,harmonic and melodic minor], the first five notes are A-B-C-D-E-the natural minor continues F-G-A, the harmonic minor F-G#-A and the melodic minor F#-G#-A. If you slowly play each scale, you'll notice a distinctly different sound that changing these two notes gives to the harmonic and melodic minor scales. The harmonic minor has a more "Eastern' or "gypsy" quality to it, and the melodic minor has a minor to major quality.Hope this helps,      Will

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users