Photo

I had a "soloing" and note playing ephiphany!

fretboard soloing note reading music theory boss rc-3 looper loop pedal

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been back seriously incorporating my guitar learning into my daily life where possible. I have had two really big moments in the last two days!! The first happened yesterday when I recorded a few chords using my new loop pedal (boss rc-3) I thought they were just "random" in that I wasn't really thinking about it when I started strumming them. They were as follows: D, A, D, A, a few times and then G, E and back to D. I started to try and "noodle" over the progression but this time without thinking too much about pentatonics and scales. (it seems when I do it never sounds musical) okay so this is what happened. Although a hit a few bad notes I started to feel and see where the good notes belonged. Now that has started to happen in the past BUT this time I actually took the time to really say the notes out loud and figure out what they were. What I realized was that I was playing the C# and the F# as they just sounded better with the chords. That made me realize that I was playing in "D" After that I knew that I had to just avoid the C and the F and play the respective sharps and most of what I came up with sounded right and more importantly it sounded musical!!!! This was the first time that I actually did both: noodled without thinking about scales but then figuring out what key so that it was more then just random jumps around the fretboard. This also helped me remember the notes in many places. i Have tried various techniques to memorize the fretboard and most of the time I forget except for a few places that stuck in my head. This made it make sense using it in a "key"...

The next part of the epiphany came tonight. I was using Easy Pop Melodies ( a book I long put away) For the first time EVER I really got the beauty of this book and the beauty of this looper. I started with Titanic and I played the entire song using the chords and following precisely the rythmn (meaning holding all the chords for teh correct duration etc)

Then I played the melody using the looper playing the chords and I honestly couldn't believe how good it sounded. Well that's not the ephiphany part. this is: After going to the next song which happens to be the first song in the book (elton john's Can you Feel the Love) and doing the same procedure: Recorded the song using the looper by playing the chords. Then like before I played the melody using the notes in the book BUT then after doing that for about 5 song cycles I got a little bored and decided to just try and improvise using by following the chords of the song and even some of the notes written in the music. OH MY GOSH it sounded so good. I felt like Steve (of course I didn't sound like him lol) but it felt like when he plays a song that we have the music too but all of a sudden there's a lot of improvisation going on. That's what it felt like. I was actually doing it. I was improvising parts of that melody with all sorts of other little licks and NONE of it sounded bluesy or pentatonic like or scale like...I then moved away from the first position and started to just find those same little licks and such (even parts of the original melody) on different parts of the fretboard!!!! I can't tell you how happy this makes me. For the first time I can picture that if I had a gig and didn't want to "SING" for 3 hours (which is hard and I've done it) then I could do some of this type of stuff ( of course I need more practice but I think it's in my grip!!) I can actually use this in my repertoire and if just feels so good to do!!!! THIS IS A HUGE GOAL!! That looper is worth it's weight in Gold....and SO my friends is this Course!!! btw I'm almost done with session 15. I just have to Mastery that first of the two jam alongs. I have all the others down!!!

Take care

God Bless and thanks for letting me share!!

Maria 

#2 lrmall01

lrmall01

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Nice work! Sounds like you are really putting the pieces together. Keep it up.

L&MG Progress: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#3 nickw

nickw

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPetersfield, UK

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

Maria

It's great when you make a break-through. You are way ahead of me in the process, I'm in the session 7-11 region. I bought an E.Band and started noodling along to some of the backing tracks on there, only in C to start with but then I after a week or two in session 11  I expanded into other scales, pentatonics mainly and the world opened up. I'm not brave like you and others on the forum - publishing my recordings to the world, that's scary ! Many have said that recording yourself is really valuable, isn't it just . I'm OK knowing the notes on the 5th &6th string, it's the others I struggle to remember. I've learnt so much from following this course and reading the numerous posts. I also signed up with the SoloingwithColor course, that's helping move things along too, great feedback from Paul, private lessons across the atlantic.

Well, I'd best get on with some work !

Keep up the good work.

Nick

L&M 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Blues Spotlight 1 2 3 4 5 6

#4 JLO_SWEDE

JLO_SWEDE

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationNøtterøy, Norway

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

So good to hear Maria.

Remember to push the record button once and a while and share it with us :)

Jan

Gibsons Learn and Master Guitar, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe

PRS SE Bernie Marsden signature model
Ibanez RG 170
Takamine Jasmine acoustic steelstring
Peavey Vypyr 15 amp
Roland Cube 15 amp

Line 6 UX2

#5 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sweeet!

Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:

#6 Dan Brown

Dan Brown

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBradley Beach, N.J.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Great Maria !  Sounds like your little sabbatical from L&MG may have

done you some good ! Hope to see you here all the time again !

Dan Brown     :electricguitar:

"SO MANY RESOURCES, SO LITTLE TIME!"                                           Fender Squier Strat MIM   1993                                        Fender Mustang II Amp 40W
Learn and Master Guitar Session 20                                                         Yamaha FG 400A Acoustic Guitar                                   Fender Frontman Amp  25W
Song Hits Session 7                                                                                       Charvel 625C Custom Acoustic Electric                       BOSS eBand  JS-8
Spotlight Series Blues Guitar Session 3   
                                               Harmony Meteor semi-hollow body circa 1958           Fender Champion 600 Amp 5W 

Epiphone Limited Edition ES 355

STUDENT OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2012                                                 Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus

Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II

Martin backpacker  

Martin DRS2 Acoustic/electric 2014

#7 dusty1300

dusty1300

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationMason City, IA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

I have had many of those moments when learning to solo, Maria. Each one is wonderful and leads to many hours of enjoyment jamming.  You could learn to solo just as you are by finding out what notes sound good over what chords or keys, but the patterns just give you a roadmap to what they are.  I think you might have good luck if you take just one octave in any one of the pent scales and just practice with that octave for a while, then pick a new one and only play that one. It is a good way to get it into memory rather than trying to learn the entire set of patterns on all the strings.

Glad you are moving along with great things on the guitar. Sometimes a person gets in a rut and then something like this happens and a whole new world opens up.

Tom

**** Notice... if this is a recording, rest assured that it took many, many takes to get it to where it is now. Someday, maybe one will be enough, but for now, know that it is NOT a one take song.

Here is my most recent music: http://www.swensonco...ting.com/Guitar

My better tracks:  http://www.soundcloud.com/dusty1300

2014 Godin Multiax Encore, 2012 PRS Custom 24 SE, 1980 Ovation Legend, 2002 American Deluxe Fat Strat,
TonePort Silver, BBE Acoustimax Preamp.

Recording done with Magix Music Studio

#8 Gary Less

Gary Less

• Members
  • 3,869 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Great news Marie ,your recordings was good in the first place , would think you sound better now

did/Do you feel like your stuck in a Box ?

"OH WELL"

#9 DanMoyer

DanMoyer

• Members
  • 3,108 posts
  • LocationWelland, Ontario, Canuckistan

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Congratulations Maria!  Must feel great to experience a break-through like that.

Very happy to see you back here.

Dan M.

Epi Les Paul Custom Plus LE, Epi Masterbilt EF500RANS, Epi Emperor Swingster, Hagstrom HJ600, Fender MIM Strat , Schecter "Diamond C-4 Elite" bass, Epi DR-100, Epi Blues Custom 30, Weber MASS-50, Crate GTD15R, Yamaha KX-61, Lexicon Omega, JamVOX, TASCAM DP 008.

Sitting at S4-5. Progress impeded by painful arthritic left thumb.

#10 quilter1958

quilter1958

• Members
  • 4,150 posts
  • LocationSanford, Florida

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Maria - congratulations!  I can't wait to be where you are!

Sherry

L & M G: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&MG The Song Hits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#11 BunkSquawk

BunkSquawk

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Locationneither here nor there

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Congrats, that's so great!  I bet playing/practicing is even more fun now!  I'm working on the major scales right now along with my barre chords, and I'm still waiting for a major epiphany like you, with knowing the notes on the fretboard.  I practice them up and down single strings, from root to octave in first position, from root to octave to octave in mixed positions but I haven't had that major breakthrough yet.  Will be psyched when it arrives though.  Do have a cool story from last night though which I'll post under a new topic.  Keep going, and post some recordings on the forum if you can :)

"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells a little funny"--Frank Zappa

L&MG: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&M Blues: 1 2 3 4 5 6 (Haven't started yet)

Guitar Setup & Maintenance:  Now Doing My Own Setups!  Thanks Greg!  

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mrsmith112

http://www.reverbnation.com/manicslugmusic

http://www.facebook.com/ManicSlugMusic

#12 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Nice work! Sounds like you are really putting the pieces together. Keep it up.

Thanks so much! I'm very very pleased!!

Maria

Maria

It's great when you make a break-through. You are way ahead of me in the process, I'm in the session 7-11 region. I bought an E.Band and started noodling along to some of the backing tracks on there, only in C to start with but then I after a week or two in session 11  I expanded into other scales, pentatonics mainly and the world opened up. I'm not brave like you and others on the forum - publishing my recordings to the world, that's scary ! Many have said that recording yourself is really valuable, isn't it just . I'm OK knowing the notes on the 5th &6th string, it's the others I struggle to remember. I've learnt so much from following this course and reading the numerous posts. I also signed up with the SoloingwithColor course, that's helping move things along too, great feedback from Paul, private lessons across the atlantic.

Well, I'd best get on with some work !

Keep up the good work.

Nick

Thanks so much Nick, I too joined soloing with color and Paul is great. I just have to get back on the wagon with that one. I think my biggest problem is that I don't quite "feel" the blues yet. I sort of like more major scale melodies..broadway stuff I guess so that kind of permeats my music. Now that I figured out how to sort of solo over tunes in that way maybe I can approach the blues and start to feel it...I don't know. Well much success to you too!

Maria

So good to hear Maria.

Remember to push the record button once and a while and share it with us :)

Jan

Yes, thanks Jan I sure will. In fact I was tempted to "save" a second copy of the first loop I did and then "record" my noodling over it because it has a usb port so I could certainly then upload it to my computer and post here but I was a little gun shy. Next time I'll do it!!

Thanks for encouraging me!

Maria

Sweeet!

Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:

Your welcome and thanks for reading!!

Maria

Great Maria !  Sounds like your little sabbatical from L&MG may have

done you some good ! Hope to see you here all the time again !

Dan Brown     :electricguitar:

Yes, I am back for sure!! I really missed all of you and glad that I found my back home!!! I never left completely but I wasn't fully present. I just got very"distracted" with life and other things. But I'm learning to prioritize!!

Take care and thanks for missing me!!

Maria

#13 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

I have had many of those moments when learning to solo, Maria. Each one is wonderful and leads to many hours of enjoyment jamming.  You could learn to solo just as you are by finding out what notes sound good over what chords or keys, but the patterns just give you a roadmap to what they are.  I think you might have good luck if you take just one octave in any one of the pent scales and just practice with that octave for a while, then pick a new one and only play that one. It is a good way to get it into memory rather than trying to learn the entire set of patterns on all the strings.

Glad you are moving along with great things on the guitar. Sometimes a person gets in a rut and then something like this happens and a whole new world opens up.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I sure admire your soloing!!. Just help this newbie out what exactly do you mean "One otave" of the pentatonic? One pattern or are you saying a connected part of one pattern across the frets? Sorry the pents always make me cookoo....

Thanks again

Maria

Great news Marie ,your recordings was good in the first place , would think you sound better now

did/Do you feel like your stuck in a Box ?

Thanks so much for the kind words Gary, I guess I want my soloing to not be so "random" where for whatever reason I got in a groove and it worked. I want to be able to replicate (not the notes) but how I was able to do that. More consistently and with much more confidence. That's what happened in the last two nights!!

Thanks again
Maria

Congratulations Maria!  Must feel great to experience a break-through like that.

Very happy to see you back here.

Dan M.

Hey Dan, Thanks so much for the encouragement and I'm really glad to be back on a more consistent basis!! IT was a long crazy winter!!

Maria

Maria - congratulations!  I can't wait to be where you are!

You will Quilter...just keep at and we are all here for you when you get stuck. And believe me if you read any of my old posts you will see the many moments of frustration I have experienced and the kind folks here including Steve were there to help pick me up and dust me off and get me back on the horse so to speak!!

Take care

Maria

Congrats, that's so great!  I bet playing/practicing is even more fun now!  I'm working on the major scales right now along with my barre chords, and I'm still waiting for a major epiphany like you, with knowing the notes on the fretboard.  I practice them up and down single strings, from root to octave in first position, from root to octave to octave in mixed positions but I haven't had that major breakthrough yet.  Will be psyched when it arrives though.  Do have a cool story from last night though which I'll post under a new topic.  Keep going, and post some recordings on the forum if you can :)

That's awesome Bunk. Keep up the good work. You can never do too much with practicing those. I keep going back to the barres and the scales now too as if you don't use them you will lose them. I have tried to incorporate the barre chords in some of my original songs because then they really get solidified in my brain!! and there are alot of really good barre chord songs out there like Sultans of swing etc!!

Take care

Maria

#14 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Don't you just love those 'light-bulb' moments? :wub:

I had one a few weeks ago that I will share in another thread.

Thanks for sharing your's. :biggrin:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#15 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Don't you just love those 'light-bulb' moments? :wub:

I had one a few weeks ago that I will share in another thread.

Thanks for sharing your's. :biggrin:

Yup and I just read your thread and added my two cents!!! 

Thanks

Maria

#16 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Can I have a dollar? Two cents doesn't get you much anymore. Neither does a dollar. :cry:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#17 dusty1300

dusty1300

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationMason City, IA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

Maria, sorry I wasn't very clear. I wasn't very exact either. Let me start over. I created two samples to help you out. ( I hope it does, if not it is on me, not you). The first one I played over the Am pentatonic backing track from the course. I played the top 6 pent notes working at the 5th fret. I did add slides, bends, etc to give it more character, but I never played anything but those top 6 notes. The next track I played over the Gmajor jam track from the course, playing the top 8 notes (one octave) of the major scale, working at the 12th fret. That would be 3 notes on the E string, 3 notes on the B string and 2 notes on the G string.

Anyway, the idea is to play over this one small subset of the fretboard and then add in parts of another pattern, maybe just a few notes at a time.

Here are the examples I did. There are errors in there, but I didn't care, I just wanted to give you sometime that might help. Each track is started by playing the notes I'm working with.

Tom

**** Notice... if this is a recording, rest assured that it took many, many takes to get it to where it is now. Someday, maybe one will be enough, but for now, know that it is NOT a one take song.

2014 Godin Multiax Encore, 2012 PRS Custom 24 SE, 1980 Ovation Legend, 2002 American Deluxe Fat Strat,

#18 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

Maria, sorry I wasn't very clear. I wasn't very exact either. Let me start over. I created two samples to help you out. ( I hope it does, if not it is on me, not you). The first one I played over the Am pentatonic backing track from the course. I played the top 6 pent notes working at the 5th fret. I did add slides, bends, etc to give it more character, but I never played anything but those top 6 notes. The next track I played over the Gmajor jam track from the course, playing the top 8 notes (one octave) of the major scale, working at the 12th fret. That would be 3 notes on the E string, 3 notes on the B string and 2 notes on the G string.

Anyway, the idea is to play over this one small subset of the fretboard and then add in parts of another pattern, maybe just a few notes at a time.

Here are the examples I did. There are errors in there, but I didn't care, I just wanted to give you sometime that might help. Each track is started by playing the notes I'm working with.

Tom

Tom, First I want to thank you so much for taking the time to make me examples. Second I want to say that I can't believe how much music you get out of those 6 and then 8 notes in your respective examples. They sounded beautiful!! Also, the two keys helped me understand why the pents sound really good with a minor key and why the major scale sounds good with the major key. I think that I graviate more toward that style of playing and listening and that is probably why I have had trouble with the pentatonics and subsequent blues scales...I guess my love of Broadway ballads and power ballads supersedes my love of the blues lol. Now I also understand why I was so pleased with myself last night as I was using the major scale to improvise!! (and both songs were in major keys) 

Even the song I did the day before or I should say the chord progression I recorded was in a major key! 

I will have to try to improvise as you did using the two different tracks from the course. (if it's not too much trouble which session are they from?)

thanks so much. Again, I truly appreciate it!

Maria

#19 dusty1300

dusty1300

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationMason City, IA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

Those two tracks are on disk 3 of the jam disks. At least they are on my older LMG course, the newer one I can't guarantee.<br /><br />Tom<br /><br /><br />

#20 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Those two tracks are on disk 3 of the jam disks. At least they are on my older LMG course, the newer one I can't guarantee.<br /><br />Tom<br /><br /><br />

Awesome Thanks Tom!! It really was inspiring to hear you play this!!

Maria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users