#1 thescanada

thescanada

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationMCG, Ontario.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Here's an odd question:

In session 4, your ready to move on when

• You can play the “When the Saints Go Marching In (Bass Line)” with a steady pulse.

Ive been working on the bass line only for this song assuming that it literally means i don't need to

2 hand the song. Am I correct in this assumption?

2 Hands seems a bit early for me but then again I remember the difficulty jump in LMG for session 4 lol.

Ive been playing single hands, both parts of the song; and if that is correct im ready to move on.

If not, well... ive got work to do.

I can play Minuet 2 handed (This sheet music)

Untitled.png

For the most part I can do it at 80bpm but it took me a good 15 hours of total work on this alone, and I still have trouble

at one section in the 14th measure where the 3rd figure replaces the position of where the 2nd finger was.

then moving the hand down the keys without looking down and losing focus on the music.

Im also not sure at all what those markers mean above the notes in the 16 measure.

As complicated as this piece looks however, the left hand is far easier then the one in the course.

I dont plan on moving on to new piece till ive mastered this one, specifically my troubled spot.

Ive kind of rambled a bit - but assumed would be more beneficial for any advice givers.

Should i do as the book says and move on.

Or do the two handed thing anyway, or is it too soon?

Playing Fender Stratocaster HSS on Fender Frontman 25R(And marshall FX30 when 'bored') Love the clean tones ;)
Playing since 09/2010
(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 )

Posted Image

#2 sjr2k

sjr2k

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

I have the older lesson book and it says: "Play bass line with the left hand while the right hand rests".

Feel free to try both hands, but don't get discouraged if you have some difficulty.

L&MP Session 25

Yamaha P-85

#3 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hello "thescanada,"

... I still have trouble at one section in the 14th measure where the 3rd figure replaces the position of where the 2nd finger was.

... Im also not sure at all what those markers mean above the notes in the 16 measure. ...

Switching from using finger 2 in the 14th measure for the D-note to finger 3 for the first D-note in the 15th measure is slightly difficult, as you've experienced.  Here's is an alternate fingering for that section that you  may choose to try.  For the RH part beginning with the 14th measure, use fingers 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2.  Because the first D-note in the 15th measure is a quarter-note, there is more time with this alternate fingering for you to reposition your RH fingers to play the following E eighth-note with the RH 4th finger.

The markings above the notes in the final measure are called "fermata."  They indicate that the note(s) so marked are to be played for a substantially longer duration than would normally be the case.  The actual note durations are left to the musician's discretion and may be twice the normal duration, or even more.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#4 thescanada

thescanada

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationMCG, Ontario.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Hello "thescanada,"

... I still have trouble at one section in the 14th measure where the 3rd figure replaces the position of where the 2nd finger was.

... Im also not sure at all what those markers mean above the notes in the 16 measure. ...

Switching from using finger 2 in the 14th measure for the D-note to finger 3 for the first D-note in the 15th measure is slightly difficult, as you've experienced.  Here's is an alternate fingering for that section that you  may choose to try.  For the RH part beginning with the 14th measure, use fingers 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2.  Because the first D-note in the 15th measure is a quarter-note, there is more time with this alternate fingering for you to reposition your RH fingers to play the following E eighth-note with the RH 4th finger.

The markings above the notes in the final measure are called "fermata."  They indicate that the note(s) so marked are to be played for a substantially longer duration than would normally be the case.  The actual note durations are left to the musician's discretion and may be twice the normal duration, or even more.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

Sweet, I've been doing "fermata" on my own because it felt right, and usually let that long note ring for what would be 2 and a half bars lol.

Going to give that new fingering a try tonight, thanks again.

Playing Fender Stratocaster HSS on Fender Frontman 25R(And marshall FX30 when 'bored') Love the clean tones ;)
Playing since 09/2010
(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 )

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users