Photo

Wow Steve sure knows how to pick em! I just spoke to Jack Grassel!

guitar seeds fretboard positions guitar theory

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

Okay so this is CRAZY!!
I saw Steve's Resources this month and unfortunately I really cant afford all the books. But I have to say that I really wanted to use Guitar Seeds. Again, I'm on session 13 and really digging into learning the notes/scales etc. I decided to use the net to try and find the book myself. Of course I tried Amazon first but they didn't have it. So, next stop was just a google search. That brought up Jack's website. I searched for the book but when I clicked the buy link it said it wasn't available. There was a phone for the company I think it said Frozen sky records with a phone #. I figured that since I'm on the East coast maybe it was still earlier enough in Wisconsin. So I called and the person answered "jack here"
I was quite taken aback and asked if it was "the man himself" and he said yes, and i giggled and he laughed and it was quite funny cause I didn't really know how to react. So, I told him that I found him thanks to Steve Krenz and that I wanted to order the book. He took my info and said it would be in the mail tomorrow. After that we talked about guitar and music and how he actually started to write the book in 1971 and published it in 1974. He said he wrote it cause he was teaching guitar in a conservatory and the students were all so good he wanted to stay one step ahead of them. So he said he really wrote it for himself. He said he has been using it every day since. He said it reallyworks. His suggestion to me was to learn all the 12 positions. He then said "play all the keys in one position" and then do the reverse and play one key in all the positions. I thanked him for taking the time to talk to me and he said he was sitting there just waiting for me to call! lol. He was just like all of Steve's guests on the Tues night lessons and just like Steve himself. Very non assuming, kind and genuine.
I told him it was an unexpected pleasure to have spoken with him. He told me "you can do this but it will take time, maybe a year" I told him that I was determined. He also said
"make sure you continue to have fun when you play or its just not worth it" I told him that I have fun every time I pick up the guitar. That I would rather be playing guitar then a lot of other things I have to to do!!
Very cool! Thanks Steve!
Maria

#2 jackfixit

jackfixit

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

its always fun to talk to some one you think is not available to regular folks. good for you. jack :biggrin:

#3 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

its always fun to talk to some one you think is not available to regular folks. good for you. jack :biggrin:

I know right? I just wish I asked him to autograph it. But I certainly didn't want to call back lol....

#4 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

I had a similar thing happen to me. I have a couple of Mark Hanson's fingerstyle books and I had lost one of the CD's to one of the books and called the number on the web site and Mark answered the phone. Unfortunately he was not able to help me because the particular book was actually published by somebody else and he did not have any extra CD's he could send me.

#5 CTGull

CTGull

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • LocationWallingford, CT

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

I "friended" Mark Hanson on Facebook. Funny guy. He updates all the dates and places he's playing, unfortunately in Florida only. Man, I'd love to see him play!!!

L&M Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

L&M Fingerstyle Session 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Too many guitars, too little time to play them.

#6 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:43 AM

I had a similar thing happen to me. I have a couple of Mark Hanson's fingerstyle books and I had lost one of the CD's to one of the books and called the number on the web site and Mark answered the phone. Unfortunately he was not able to help me because the particular book was actually published by somebody else and he did not have any extra CD's he could send me.

very cool...I think guitar players seem much less stuck up then most performers lol!
Maria

#7 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

I "friended" Mark Hanson on Facebook. Funny guy. He updates all the dates and places he's playing, unfortunately in Florida only. Man, I'd love to see him play!!!

That's pretty cool CT! I like his fingerstyle book and his originals are fun to play!! I have two but have only gotten halfway through basic fingerstyle...so many other resources always seem to beckon me..plus then I got into the pentatonic session and now blues so it puts me in a different direction. But lately I went back to the session 10 songs and I'm planning on revisiting Marks' book because I had about 4 of his songs under my belt and they sounded really pretty!!
Take care
Maria

#8 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

I'm so glad that you were able to talk with Jack. He's a great guy. I'm excited about getting to know him and his books this month.

Thanks for a great report!

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#9 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

I'm so glad that you were able to talk with Jack. He's a great guy. I'm excited about getting to know him and his books this month.

- Steve

Oh you are very welcome and actually the thanks belongs to you for always providing us with a wealth of great resources and learning experiences!!!
Take care
Maria

#10 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

Cool story. Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#11 Fabian Fledge

Fabian Fledge

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationWaterford, Wisconsin

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

- Steve

Maybe a future live lesson guest!?!?

L&M Guitar-Complete!
L&M Blues Guitar Complete
L&M Fingerstyle Complete

#12 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Cool story. Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:

absolutely!!
Maria

#13 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

- Steve

Maybe a future live lesson guest!?!?

right I bet he would do it too!!
Maria

#14 naccoachbob

naccoachbob

• Members
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationNacogdoches, Tx

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if you had an autographed book coming.
I don't have a basis for saying that, but just a premonition.
Cool story, Maria.

Play well,

Bob

Gear: Lucio Nunez "Balbina" hand crafted Classical Guitar

Jose Ramirez RA-C Classical

Eric Clapton Signature Strat "Blackie"

Les Paul Studio

Self-built Honduran Mahogany/Engelmann Spruce acoustic (in my pic)

Self-built mahogany/Sitka Spruce acoustic

Terada acoustic

MIM HSS Strat

Fender Twin Reverb Amp

#15 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if you had an autographed book coming.
I don't have a basis for saying that, but just a premonition.
Cool story, Maria.

I like that premonition Bob...hope so..that would be really cool!!
Have a great weekend!
Maria

#16 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

If he doesn't sign it just send it to me and I'll sign it for you. :laugh:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#17 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

If he doesn't sign it just send it to me and I'll sign it for you. :laugh:

awe Jell...that's sweet!! (like strawberry jello!!)
thanks for the offer..lol
Maria

#18 Blueser100

Blueser100

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Mark is a very nice guy. I took one of his workshops when he was in Los Angeles. I emailed him not long ago to ask a question about one of the exercises in his book. I had a response from him the following morning.
Currently in the stable: Martin D18V, Martin 000-15M, Martin D28, Yamaha FG-150, Seagull Coastline S6 Cedar Folk, Cordoba GK Studio nylon/flamenco, Taylor GS mini mahogany, Seagull S6 Original, Seagull Maritime SWS Folk HG.

Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar: Session 11

Learn and Master Fingerstyle Guitar: Session 2

Please visit and comment on my blog!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guitar seeds, fretboard, positions, guitar theory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users