Photo

Learning the notes on the fret board five minutes a day!

note memorization fretboard helpful resource

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 John V

John V

• Members
  • 1,934 posts
  • LocationSunny Central California

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Same guy?:
http://youtu.be/MuzB2_O8GGM

No different fellow but basically the same method.
The general attitude is, "I want it, and I want it now!" But it really takes years if your going to do it right, and a lot of kids just don't want to take the time to work on it and see where it comes from, and how they should apply it and use it in playing their songs. It doesn't make any difference how technically good you are or fast you are or how many notes you know; you just can't do it in two years.
- Johnny Winter

#22 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Same guy?:

Not different guy. But I guess a similar concept. I think what sets Griff apart is having the circle of fifths to follow as well as testing your self by using the metronome. IT's hard to be accurate when you have the met on. even at 60 bpm it feels really fast!!
I'm still not there yet. I have c, g, d, a, e, and most of B. and even when I think I have all of them when I put the metronome on, sometimes I have to try it a few times before I'm completely accurate!! so I guess it's still very much a work in progress
Maria

#23 GuitarCase

GuitarCase

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAndelst, Netherlands

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I'm currently able to play c, g and d on all strings ( from string 6 to string 1 and back), but when I try to play things randomly, it doesn't go that well.
I have the impression that I more or less remember the pattern when playing one note on sequential
strings.
Do others have this experience too?
Is it just a matter of more practice?
And how important is the metronome: I currently practice this without a metronome.

Thanks for your reactions.
Kees

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#24 Gary Less

Gary Less

• Members
  • 3,869 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

try doing one note at a time, instead of a pattern , find that one note on a beat , slow at first , then up the tempo see if you can find , note of your choice at that beat , eg say c to start with find that on every beat , all over the neck , try every c at slow bpm
"OH WELL"

#25 Dennis G

Dennis G

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

The 3 note on a string scales (S17) work well in conjunction with this method as well. Between the two, you should be able to be fairlly confident about knowing the fretboard within 2-3 months. Worked for me anyway. :acoustic:

Dennis

-----------------------

You can't have too much horsepower or too many guitars!

Racecar spelled backwards is, yeah, racecar!

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katherine Hepburn

#26 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Yes, It's taking time for me too. I have about 5 so far but trust me if I don't it for a few days it's still takes me a few times to get it perfectly and I guess I also have trouble doing them not in the sequence but I have been trying to mix it up and also to really look at where they land (if it's on an inlay or a familiar location like the octaves are easy to remember so that's one day)
But at least doing it this way has helped me to really try and keep it in my practice routine and I must say it has helped when I am doing a different lesson or working on soloing I am starting to get where my choices are..and I guess that's the real goal for me anyway: not to be imprisoned by the first position.
Maria

#27 Jusca

Jusca

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

I know it's a very old thread but the bluesguitarunleashed method is the best that works for my learning style.  I've been searching for weeks for something that resonated with my learning pattern.  YAY!  Thanks a million for sharing!

L&M Guitar: 9,16, & Private rhythm lessons 

focusing on improving rhythmic understanding & playing

:guitar: 

#28 Gary Less

Gary Less

• Members
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

This helped me to http://www.guitargames.net/  Fret tester, Birds of fretobia (game)   Loads of  other good stuff there to  

"OH WELL"

#29 JLO_SWEDE

JLO_SWEDE

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationNøtterøy, Norway

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Really Gary, 1001 points!????

I got 35  :laugh: 

Gibsons Learn and Master Guitar, Session : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe

PRS SE Bernie Marsden signature model
Ibanez RG 170
Takamine Jasmine acoustic steelstring
Peavey Vypyr 15 amp
Roland Cube 15 amp

Line 6 UX2

#30 Snuggs

Snuggs

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

• Administrators
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, N.Y.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'm glad this thread got resurrected.  I just asked Steve about this yesterday.  I'll incorporate this into my practice now.  Thanks for sharing. 

L&M Guitar & Bonus 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
2 Acoustic flattop dreadnoughts custom made by Hubby
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
eBand JS-10

Roland Micro Cube GX

Line 6 Floor Pod Plus

#31 Gary Less

Gary Less

• Members
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Really Gary, 1001 points!????

I got 35  :laugh: 

like i said it helps  :biggrin: takes an age to get but worth it 

"OH WELL"

#32 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

I started using Griff's method a couple of months ago and it is helping. One of the characteristics of memorization is we learn and memorize the pattern of the method used. For example, I learned each string from open string to the 12 fret (obviously at the 12 it is an octave and repeats) so I got where I could zip up and down the the fretboard at 100 bpm on every string and nail all the notes. The problem became real when I tried to just grab a note randomly! Failure on spontaneous response! If I hesitated and found a fret mark and got my bearings, I can still find any note. But the spontaneity and speed went out the window.

Griff or one of the other online teachers I have used, stated that you need to learn several methods of fretboard memorization, until you have it automatically which just takes time like all of our other processes learning guitar. Fretboard memorization can be done with the guitar in hand which is absolutely necessary for left hand right hand synch, but you can work on your fretboard memorization anywhere! I made a master paper copy of the fretboard and made 50 copies and I write the notes in when I watch t.v., sitting at my desk waiting for the internet, on a break or just do 5 notes when I look at the sheet. You can also just make a mental picture and do this in your head. No excuses, spend the time! :) PPP

#33 Snuggs

Snuggs

• Administrators
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, N.Y.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

I have an android app called "Chord" and I upgraded to the paid version.  After trying a bunch of them, this was best for me.  It has all the chords, fingerings, alternate tuning, different scales, and a whole bunch of stuff that I don't understand yet.  But for now, if I forget a chord I can look it up, and I can find a different fingerings of the chord so I can find it all over the fretboard.  For learning notes, it's handy because I can start with a blank fretboard, click a fret, and it will populate that note all over the fretboard.  I'm definitely going to start learning the notes slowly.  I know I don't have to "fret" about it now, but I might as well do a little at a time.  

eBand JS-10

Roland Micro Cube GX

Line 6 Floor Pod Plus

#34 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

Ah Snuggs- that's fretfully funny!

#35 Snuggs

Snuggs

• Administrators
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, N.Y.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

LOL....sorry.  I got a bad pun gene in my family.

eBand JS-10

Roland Micro Cube GX

Line 6 Floor Pod Plus

#36 sleepingangel

sleepingangel

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:29 AM

This is very cool that this thread got resurrected again over a year and a half later!! I'm glad because I never got passed learning about 4 notes. I think I have to go back to this technique. It was a very good activity to do with or without the actual guitar as noted!! (see Snuggs we share the same silly sense of humor!!)

Good luck everyone of us on this quest!!

Maria

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: note memorization, fretboard, helpful resource

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users