4th finger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garycin62

garycin62

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hello, I have just begun the piano program.While doing chord progression, I find that the 4th finger is lazy and whats to tag along with the Pinky finger. Is there an exercise to make this finger independent of
the others ?

#2 LesJ

LesJ

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

We are all different, but here is what I do.  This will sound goofy, but do it anyway.  Sometimes the brain doesn't seem to know how "direct traffic" when it comes to muscles.  This is very obvious when first starting the guitar.  You will wonder how it is ever possible to get the fingers to go where you want them to.  Well, you have to show them.  Using one hand to hold the other 3 fingers together (let the thumb or #1 alone for now).  Try to move the pinky laterally (away) from the 4th finger.  It probably won't move.  In that case, take the "free" hand and physically move the pinky where you want it to go.  Relax and try to let the brain remember how that feels.  Now, pull it back toward the 4th finger.  If it won't respond, then physically and gently move it with the other hand.  You can do this with all the fingers and it will work with practice and it usually doesn't take very long---sometimes only a few minutes.  Practice several times a day until the brain remembers which muscle to tell to move to get it to go where you want it to.  This will work.  Be patient and kind with yourself.

Good luck.

#3 TwiztedBizkit

TwiztedBizkit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

I know exactly what you mean as I am at the same stage and having the same problem.  One thing I have noticed helps is to do the stretching exercises as well.  My fingers are very 'tight' and so it is almost like 4&5 are 'tied together' but the stretching is slowly helping to cure that.

#4 lindacharlotte

lindacharlotte

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

I am not so good in that finger also, but at least it could do the work on the key, what I did was just keep using all fingers to play on anything, like table or other things, little by little, that finger will be able to move as other ones.

#5 nedrahej

nedrahej

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

I just turn off the sound and play those fingers like a miniature scale 5,4,5,4,5... and then do it with both hands. sometimes I add 5,4,3,4,5..., but adding the 3rd cheats the 4th and 5th fingers. it's a work in progress, actually you find that your 4th and 5th aren't really used that much as you will eventually start learning to move your hands in an effective manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users