Through session 10 but general question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JeffH

JeffH

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

I started the series just after Christmas (This was a Christmas present) and love it. My analyst brain loves digging into the chord progressions and inversions etc and there is enough familiar music to keep it fun.

My question is how much time should be spent reviewing previous sessions? I occasionally go back to previous sessions and find that I struggle through the material. For example as a warm-up I play through all of the chords and inversions that have been introduced but after working on Amazing Grace I find it difficult to play Home On The Range.

Thanks.

#2 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:38 AM

Welcome :biggrin:

aka The Jell-O Man, JelloManKent
I once played a cat and got all scratched up. I should have waited until it was made into guitar strings first. :blink:
Jell-O curtains are the best of both worlds. Just don't eat the curtains. :whistle:
Link to Missing Posts of The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...en-mike-lounge/
Link to The Legacy Lounge is
http://community.lea...rch__1#entry322
Link to my CG Art is
http://s1238.photobu...Works/CG%20Art/
Guest Password is JelloManKent
Link to my Oil Paint Art is
http://s1238.photobu...rk in progress/
Guest Password is JelloManKent

Link to my Recordings is

https://soundcloud.com/jellomankent

#3 bohemian

bohemian

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

I started the series just after Christmas (This was a Christmas present) and love it. My analyst brain loves digging into the chord progressions and inversions etc and there is enough familiar music to keep it fun.

My question is how much time should be spent reviewing previous sessions? I occasionally go back to previous sessions and find that I struggle through the material. For example as a warm-up I play through all of the chords and inversions that have been introduced but after working on Amazing Grace I find it difficult to play Home On The Range.

Thanks.

Hi, Jeff--
I'm obviously not Will, and even though I have only been doing this course for a little while longer than you and am only beginning Session 7, I will try to answer your question as best as I can based on my experiences.
I find that there is more to each lesson than meets the eye (and ear). Reading through the forum, I find numerous students rushing through the course, sometimes covering many lessons per week. They get stuck, ask a question, receive an answer, and by looking at their profile you find that the question is their last activity on the forum. Perhaps they're just not very active posters, but when they asked the question several months or years ago and have not posted since, I suspect that they are no longer pursuing the course.
I look at the study of piano as I do the study of mathematics. You need a solid understanding of previous lessons to be proficient with all future lessons. Will gives suggestions after each Session for when "you're ready to move on" to the next lesson. I treat these as merely suggestions. I always go above and beyond Will's suggestions before I move on. I want to be able to consistently nail everything in the Session before I move ahead. For instance, I did not move from Session 4 to 5 until I was proficient at playing Saints at speed with BOTH hands together with the play-along CD, even though Will suggested only knowing the bass line.
In Session 6, Will stresses triads in first inversions, but covers the second inversions also. Why not study and practice those second inversions along with the first inversions to make yourself more ready for Session 7?
Will makes reference in the workshops to "an advanced part of the lessons". Learn it--it can only help you, and never hurt you!
Session 6-Lean On Me-- Will suggests being able to play it with the metronome at 66 bpm before going to Session 7. Why not work toward playing it with the play-along CD at 74 bpm before moving on?
The bottom line is, the better you know each Session- the easier it will be to attempt the next Session. I play along with each past lesson on the play- along CD once a week and make very few mistakes with my method of study. Ask yourself the question: Do I want to finish this course as soon as possible, and remember little, or will I take the extra time to reinforce what I am learning and previously learned to develop the proper knowledge and muscle memory for long- term retention of the material. Of course, YMMV.
Good luck!!!

Frank
Learn & Master Piano
Currently Working On Session 19

Learn & Master Guitar
Currently Working On Session 2

Bohemia Concerto 132
Yamaha P-200
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Fender Mustang lll

#4 bohemian

bohemian

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Sorry, I forgot the most important advice-- slow down-- smell the roses-enjoy what you are doing!!! :-)
Learn & Master Piano
Currently Working On Session 19

Learn & Master Guitar
Currently Working On Session 2

Bohemia Concerto 132
Yamaha P-200
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Fender Mustang lll

#5 JeffH

JeffH

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of going over previous lessons once a week. I will try to start a habit of doing that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users