Vaughan Cube

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Landry

Landry

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

While I really want to learn music theory, I only have 30 min to 1 hour a day to devote to guitar, and I prefer to spend the time playing instead of memorizing the scales, etc. I'm looking for a faster way to learn the theory, and someone on another forum mentioned The Vaughn Cube™ for Music Theory. Does anyone have experience with this?
VERY excited to finally be learning fingerstyle!!! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

#2 Ice9

Ice9

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, England

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

Yep .. I was so impressed with the free lessons that I ordered the course. It explained things in such a way that made it very easy for me to understand.

Watch the 5 free lessons and decide for yourself :)

1989 Korean Squier with its spoon digging to the very bottom of the knickerbocker glory of mojo

2010 Ibanez S570B

2006 Ibanez SA120

2017 Epiphone Special VE 

Squier Telecaster (currently in bits being re-finished)

Palmer Macht 402 Power Amp, Podxt Pro, Harley Benton G112 Vintage Cab

Kala KA-S Soprano Uke

#3 Gary Less

Gary Less

• Members
  • 3,869 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

nice 1 ice :thumbsup:
"OH WELL"

#4 paparoe

paparoe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

The Vaughn Cube is the most amazing and rewarding way to learn theory that I have ever seen. It made theory accessible in way that years of classroom instruction never did.
(gosh that sounds almost like a paid endorsement)

"If you can get them once, man, get them standing up when they should be sitting down, sweaty when they should be decorous, smile when they should be applauding politely-and I think you sort of switch on their brain, man, so that makes them say: 'Wait a minute, maybe I can do anything.' Whoooooo! It's life. That's what rock and roll is for, turn that switch on, and man, it can all be."

Janis Joplin

Yamaha F335 (my fave acoustic)
Montana MT104 (my first-a gift from an ex)
Lucero LC100 (my classical-nylon)
Epi LP Special II (my only electric-someone's castoff)
Fender Mustang I modeling amp
GP-6

My mantra (also from Janis): "Don't compromise yourself. It's all you've got."
LMG : 2/3/4/5 and 11 (since Nov. 2011)
Vaughn Cube: 5- 16 (weekly review) 17-26 (daily review) 27 and 28 (active)
Brett Manning Singing Success: 1

#5 dagbone

dagbone

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Wow, this is pretty clever and very easy to follow... thanks for the link!

#6 Landry

Landry

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Well, I ordered it a few minutes ago, so we'll see if it helps someone with a "thicker-than-normal" skull. Thanks for the recommendations!!!

#7 Dan Brown

Dan Brown

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBradley Beach, N.J.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:45 AM

Will be interesting to see what Steve's take is on this
Vaughan Cube !!

Dan Brown :electricguitar:

"SO MANY RESOURCES, SO LITTLE TIME!"                                           Fender Squier Strat MIM   1993                                        Fender Mustang II Amp 40W
Learn and Master Guitar Session 20                                                         Yamaha FG 400A Acoustic Guitar                                   Fender Frontman Amp  25W
Song Hits Session 7                                                                                       Charvel 625C Custom Acoustic Electric                       BOSS eBand  JS-8
Spotlight Series Blues Guitar Session 3   
                                               Harmony Meteor semi-hollow body circa 1958           Fender Champion 600 Amp 5W 

Epiphone Limited Edition ES 355

STUDENT OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2012                                                 Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus

Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II

Martin backpacker  

Martin DRS2 Acoustic/electric 2014

#8 CharlesIRL

CharlesIRL

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

It looks really interesting.

By just watching the first 5 lessons I now know that #### at the beginning of a piece of music means it is written in the key of Elephant. If you watch the lessons you'll know what I mean by that. :)
Landry if you would, please update us on how this works out for you.

It looks to have potential and I'm willing to take a chance on it if you tell us that the rest of the system works as well as the first five lessons.

I want to know if the rest of the program is as full of content and not just the initial lure me in "Free Lessons" then the rest of it is really weak, like so many other courses and programs like this on the internet

#9 loudgonzo

loudgonzo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationWylie, TX

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I want to know if the rest of the program is as full of content and not just the initial lure me in "Free Lessons" then the rest of it is really weak, like so many other courses and programs like this on the internet

+1

#10 Ice9

Ice9

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, England

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

It looks really interesting.

By just watching the first 5 lessons I now know that #### at the beginning of a piece of music means it is written in the key of Elephant. If you watch the lessons you'll know what I mean by that. :)
Landry if you would, please update us on how this works out for you.

It looks to have potential and I'm willing to take a chance on it if you tell us that the rest of the system works as well as the first five lessons.

I bought the course after watching the first 5 free videos, and I'm glad I did. I learned the flats in each major key within an hour using the same method :)

The course has 32 lessons in total and comes with a decent quality book which further explains the things being taught.

1989 Korean Squier with its spoon digging to the very bottom of the knickerbocker glory of mojo

2010 Ibanez S570B

2006 Ibanez SA120

2017 Epiphone Special VE 

Squier Telecaster (currently in bits being re-finished)

Palmer Macht 402 Power Amp, Podxt Pro, Harley Benton G112 Vintage Cab

Kala KA-S Soprano Uke

#11 CharlesIRL

CharlesIRL

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the update Ice.

#12 loudgonzo

loudgonzo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationWylie, TX

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Just placed an order for it. Been on the fence about it for awhile; with limited time to practice and learn, anything that helps to speed things up is a bonus for me.

#13 BigRingGrinder

BigRingGrinder

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

I bought the course after watching the first 5 free videos, and I'm glad I did. I learned the flats in each major key within an hour using the same method :)

The course has 32 lessons in total and comes with a decent quality book which further explains the things being taught.

If it's not too much trouble, Ice9, what are the titles of the 32 lessons? I couldn't find an index on the website and have thought of buying the course for a month, but just don't know what all is included.

Thanks.

#14 JanEgilS

JanEgilS

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Looks a lot like a classic memory technique, where you use the rooms in a well known building to help you memorize stuff.
So it should be fairly straight forward to make something like this on your own.

Of course it would take some work/planning, so it would be tempting to buy something that has already been given some careful thinking.

#15 prz

prz

• Members
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

nope, quality is consistent. As to content it goes
up through intervals, chords, 7th chords, prgoressions & harmonizing. Some of the things are easy to remember, some steps are tad more convoluted & new symbols are introduced.
And yes, you could come up with this stuff but it looks like lots of work has been put into it already and on top, once learned using Vaughn other people will know what you mean.

optional sessions are lydian mode & minor scales (which I didn't get to)

#16 Landry

Landry

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Well, I ordered the course on March 19, and as of today I have still not received it.

They do not have a phone number listed on their web site. I sent two queries via their online form, and sent one via email reply to their order confirmation. I have received no reply at all. In the last query I told them if I do not receive the product or information about its whereabouts I will lodge a dispute with my credit card company.

Does anyone have a used one they would like to sell?

#17 TC56

TC56

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationUK (West Sussex)

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

If I remeber correctly from when I ordered, delivery was 21 days. I would give them a bit more time, it is worth the wait. Also, did you set up an account with them at order time as I understand there is an order history function.
Tony

"the mind is like a parachute, it works best when it's open"

#18 catrancher

catrancher

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

I don't recall how long delivery was but I do know that I contacted them via their online form on Dec 16, 2010 about their privacy policy. I had a response from Dean Vaughan himself that evening.

Tom

L&M Guitar:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

“I would teach children music, physics, and philosophy; but most importantly music, for the patterns in music and all the arts are the keys to learning” - Plato

#19 Landry

Landry

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

If I remeber correctly from when I ordered, delivery was 21 days. I would give them a bit more time, it is worth the wait. Also, did you set up an account with them at order time as I understand there is an order history function.

The order function on the account I created did not provide tracking information. Anyway, today I finally received an email notice today that the product had shipped, and is expected to be delivered on April 2. The only thing in the way of explanation or apology was a short note saying "We apologize for the delay."

Oh well, in spite of the poor customer service, I hope that the product delivers as advertised.

#20 Landry

Landry

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

I don't recall how long delivery was but I do know that I contacted them via their online form on Dec 16, 2010 about their privacy policy. I had a response from Dean Vaughan himself that evening.

Tom

Apparently Dean Vaughan is busier these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users