• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dagbone

dagbone

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

Bump. Steve, can we make this thread sticky?

#2 JleoLegacy

JleoLegacy

_=||| SGT UBER NEWB |||=_

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Excellent thread.

-John

#3 earth47

earth47

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationHuntley, Illinois

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

John, Continue to "hang around". Your input is of a priceless value.

#4 Broadus

Broadus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationClinton, SC, USA

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for adding your experience, John. And I hope you're right that Steve is working on a fingerstyle course. That's something I really want to learn.
Bill

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

#5 John in DC

John in DC

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

I don't know why I've never seen this thread before but...

Anyway, my level before starting the course? I would consider myself to have been just an average low intermediate player. Somethings I could do better than others as I note below.

Could I pick melodies? Yes, but not real well. I was able to figure out a few chord melody songs without really realizing what I was doing. I used to play a nice fingerstyle version of "Freight Train" but I forgot it now and I didn't write it down anywhere. I was a teenager then.

Could I read Tab or music? Not music but I could read Tab. The problem way back then was that there was no internet so whatever Tab I could find I had to buy in a book. And I didn't have a lot of money.

Did I know some open chords? Yes. Actually I knew a lot of open chords. I just never knew about the relationships between chords and certainly didn't know anything about chord construction or sequences. I also picked up some very bad habits when I was younger around holding the guitar properly. I'm fairly fast with some of my unfortunate grips but I know what is wrong and I'm trying to pay attention to it.

Barre Chords? Yes, I could play some barres but not too many. The L&MG course certainly taught me a lot about barre chords that I never knew and really opened up the fretboard for me as far as barres were concerned. I loved seeing the relationship of barres to the 6th,5th and 4th strings so that some of my rudimentary knowledge actually made sense to me.

Fingerstyle? This was my strongest technique coming into the course. I had pretty good style and finger control in the past. But I did not play the guitar for about 40 years between my older teenage self and the older person who picked up L&MG. Surprisingly, fingerstyle control came back very fast and still is one of my preferred way of playing. I really learned to play with a pick here at L&MG. Definitely not my strong suite going into the course but much better now.

My favorite part of the course? Without a doubt was the music theory. I wish I knew some of this before. I love trying to see how all of this fits together. The soloing part is also very interesting, even though I still am not very good at it. I know what to work on more to develop it I just don't really have the time I would like to have.

I already answered the music theory question.

It took me 2 years to finish the course. I was on a pace to get it done in about a year but some family crisis's occurred and derailed my practice time. And it still does somewhat at this point, as well as the fact that my job consumes a big chunk of my time. Also, when I was sidelined by family matters, Steve came out with the bonus DVD's so I started a review with the bonus DVD's and basically started the course over again to catch up to where I was (Session 17) when life got in the way. I didn't really have a schedule for practice but I did at least touch the guitar everyday. That was my basic rule, to touch the guitar everyday. Usually, I practiced for about an hour or so a day then played around with songs. I often had to practice in the late evening and I remember talking about this on the board once, but I often fell asleep sitting upright with the guitar in my hands.

Where am I now? I'm much, much better than before L&MG. I still am learning. I'm working through the Legacy Blues course, as well as Griff Hamlin's Blues course concurrently, and I'm continuing to try and develop my fingerstyle more with Mark Hanson materials. (Although I have a feeling Steve might be doing something with fingerstyle next). I don't really have any aspirations to play in a band or anything (But who knows). I might like to try to write some songs for the fun of it. I still want to hang around the Legacy community because it just feels good and it is changing all of the time. I find it a great way to see and hear about new things and others perspectives. It also continues to give me access to lots of people who also love the guitar.

John
"...and so it goes!"

Finished the complete L&MG course but still learning ♫ ♪ ♫
Currently working with the L&M Spotlight Series Fingerstyle Guitar.

#6 FloydFanatic

FloydFanatic

Bendaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

Would you please tell us what your level was before you started the course?

I would have considered myself a low intermediate, but then I'm pretty self-critical. I was able to play barre chords (messily), knew the 1st form of the pentatonic, and most "normal" chords (not funky stuff like 11, add9, etc).

Could you pick melodies?

Sorta. Sometimes it goes where it wants, but I can usually stay on top of a chord progression with a melodic noodling. If I stop and think about it, I screw it up. That's my lack of theory rearing it's ugly head.

Could you read either TAB or music previously?

Yes, TAB. And I could read music very slowly (who can forget Every Good Boy Does Fine and FACE?). I'm faster at it now, and it's what I'm concentrating the most on because that and theory are my weakest links.

Did you know some open chords?

Yes

Did you have any experience with barre chords previously?

Yes

How was your fingerstyle then as compared with now?

Aimless, much slower, and a LOT less clean

What was your favorite part to learn in LMG?

The interlocking patterns of the Pentatonic, as that's what I use the most.

Did you learn anything new about music theory that you didn't know previously?

Only nearly all of it! :lol:

How long did it take, and what type of practice schedule did you follow?

I've been at it nearly a year and a half with this course. I made up a practice schedule once, and need to do so again to be more regimented. Typically it took me a couple weeks per chapter. Some longer, some less. I kinda skimmed over the first 5-6 chapters due to my background, and am now doing it all over again to try to be more thorough.

Now that you are finished, what do you think about your abilities, and what do you spend your time playing/practicing now?

I'm pretty happy with where I am, but it's never good enough. I always want to do more, to know more, which is a healthy thing IMO. My practice nowadays is normally 10-20 minutes of scales/finger excercises and then I work on Floyd songs. Occasionally I'll just noodle and work on original soloing, but since my focus is a Pink Floyd tribute band, mostly I learn Gilmour stuff.
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you'll find
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You've missed the starting gun

#7 kenpodon

kenpodon

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

Reading these really helped. I see that gman moved on if he couldn't quite get a part and then went back to it. I've been staying on a part trying to get it perfect, I will now move on and then go back to it. I like that idea, maybe I won't get so frustrated :roll: . I practice about an hour a day but will step that up. Don
Every Day's A Good Day, Some Are Just Better Than Others!

#8 jwalker

jwalker

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

bump... :)

#9 van

van

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:58 AM

you are an inspiration as I start again. it takes a while to get the cognitive and physical parts of playing together again. will hit it intensely with the new material...........for me it still remains the process that is important as i am doing other things at same time such as photography, watercolor, short story wrting with illustration for neices and nephews, it is coming back quicker than i thought.

van

AW, do I havta? Well, I guess I should get used to this for when I become famous. LOL! Hahahahaha! :lol:
The level where I was when I started. Well, I knew the basic (no 7ths 9ths 11ths etc.) open/barre major/minor chord forms. I knew NOTHING about soloing and felt really lucky if I hit a right note! I had no idea what the notes were above the 4th fret, and had to think a while before figuring out the notes 1st-4th fret. I could pick out melodies, I think thanks to my trumpet playing experience, where I would learn to play songs by ear from the radio (ever tried playing heavy metal on trumpet? LOL From my trumpet playing I could read music, and tab I could figure out since it was fairly straight forward, just the "how" of playing it, I couldn't figure it out (fingerings etc).
My previous fingerstyle experience was, I knew how to play the intro to Dust in the Wind and Time in a Bottle (figured out from tab and had no idea what I was doing). So, really there is no comparison, unless you want to use the analogy "night and day".
Favorite part of LMG? If I HAD to choose (this may change tomorrow :) ), I suppose it would be the soloing instructions/lessons.
My major in college (that I took before I dropped out after 1 trimester and joined the army) was music, so I had some theory experience before this course. Applying it to the guitar is a whole new world, though, and this course put it into perspective and launched me into overdrive to learn more!
How long did it take for me to finish the course? Start to finish, 10 months, bear in mind the music theory aspect I already knew. As far as a practice regimen, I really didn't and still don't have one. I practice as often and as much as I can, which usually means about 1-2 hours a day (more on the weekends), but sometimes days not picking up the guitar due to "life". Depending on where I was at, I would work on something until I got it! Like the fact that I have been playing the major scale forms almost exclusively for the past few weeks and mastering all the notes and locating them on the fretboard.
My abilities compared to where I was? No comparision, I feel that my playing is WAY WAY better! Not great, but much better. For now, I will be working on "mastering" the fretboard. This may take a WHILE. (think Joe Satriani and Al DiMeola).
I hope I answered all your questions. :)

#10 Resurrected

Resurrected

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:33 AM

A great reply to the original questions asked Skate and whilst you have (being retired) had a lot more time to practice than many of us, what your answer shows is one thing! Maybe two!

Its is all down to dedicated hard work & (as Steve has said) perseverance. We all have to fit in practice with our own life, for some with families etc that may be an hour here or there. Above all it is down to one thing (in my humble opinion). Do you wish to play guitar to the best of your ability!

Which brings up the question of ability? We all have the ability to strive and become the best at what we wish to do.

Play an instrument, right a novel, become a scientist....Its all down to dedication and your own mind set in life!

If you have a dream then go for that dream!

:D

http://www.re-warwick.co.uk/

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right - H. L. Mencken

The blues are the roots; Everything else is the fruits.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

#11 kdkoadd

kdkoadd

Mick

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

congrats skate! keep in touch - I need a jazz mentor :)
Waiting on my hands to catch up with my aspirations...

Listen To My Music

Jazz Chords

#12 Cindy

Cindy

• Members
  • 5,151 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Paul! (skate8). Your playing ability is tremendous!!! :D And so is your knowledge! :wink:

MikeM's File Sharing Site for LMG students
Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art--Leonardo da Vinci

Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum

#13 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for sharing with us and keep us posted on your graduate work. :D

#14 skate8

skate8

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationSeymour, Tennessee

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

Time has come for me to add my thoughts as I finished the course. I will still be in the forum and may post a song now and then. I wish you all success with your studies. I have met some special people here in the forum. I hope too meet some of you at the gathering in Nashville in August.

There are a few of you who have finished the course, and it would be nice to hear from each of you just how much you have learned from LMG.

Would you please tell us what your level was before you started the course?

I was truly a beginner on guitar. I had an acoustic guitar I bought my Fender DC-8 but never really tried to play it. It sat around for a few years before I decided to mess with it.

Could you pick melodies?
I could pick out some inspiring tunes like Happy Birthday if you count that one.

Could you read either TAB or music previously?
I could read music do to my many years playing the saxophone but had no clue what tab was.

Did you know some open chords?
Yes…. Am , E and D….I could not play chords like G, C, B no clue when it came to sus, dim, 7th chords etc.

Did you have any experience with barre chords previously?
None at all

How was your finger style then as compared with now?
I must confess I didn’t spend much time on finger style session. I’m just now using my right hand thumb and fingers when playing Jazz style chord voicings.

What was your favorite part to learn in LMG?
My favorite sessions were the pentatonic and blues sessions. I also liked 18 Jazz sessions. I learned so much there and spent a lot of my time on those sessions.

Did you learn anything new about music theory that you didn't know previously?
I would have to say chords and there construction, voicing’s etc.

How long did it take, and what type of practice schedule did you follow?
The completion of the course including the new DVD’s took me 9 ½ months. I did play saxophone for many years so reading music and much of the theory I understood most of the theory. I did practice many hours. I would say more then most students here. I am retired and had plenty of time to devote to my practice time. I really didn’t have a schedule and still don’t. I remember putting in 60 hours of practice time roughly 2 hours a day for a month just on barre chords. I also remember practicing as much as 6 hours in one sitting. Not all practice, some recording and learning songs. I have only missed practicing a few times a month during the 9 ½ months. I would have to guess several hours a day was devoted to practice.

Now that you are finished, what do you think about your abilities and what do you spend your time playing/practicing now?
As for my abilities…just listen to my first song compared to my last few songs. I am currently learning all the notes on the fretboard. I’m studying jazz arpeggios, scale modes and chord comping. I’ve been studying courses by Robert Conti and Mimi Fox. You can think of many things that you want to change or achieve. The problem is, when you set out to do too many things at once, nothing gets the full attention it needs - and, in the end, very little is accomplished. To succeed, you need to set priorities. Choose only one or two things that you want to achieve. Concentrate your efforts exclusively on these goals. Very quickly your efficiency will soar and you will see results. I have enjoyed L&MG course. I tried several other internet courses Dan Denley… Ben Edwards Jamorama….. Desi Serna…. John Bilderbeck …Griff Hamlin to name several. I found although much of the same material is taught by everyone, Steve’s teaching style is a big key to the success of these DVD’s. Learn and Master Guitar’s quality of teaching the session’s how the sessions were put on the DVD’s were very professionally done. The jam tracks are a plus with real musicians on the tracks.
Completed L&MG Course May 14, 2008.....

Soloing With Color Lessons

#15 baz

baz

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

Hi all,
Just found the thread better late than never I will try and answer your questions;-
My level before startin the course 'beginner' I could read tab music and knew the open chords and was practising finger sytle patterns for a year before taking the course. I had very little problem with bar chords fortunatly. My favourite part of L&MG course, pentatoincs soloing and jazz chords I learnt to read music from the course, I also learnt enough theory to get me by, it took me 1 year to complete the course, my practise schedule was grueling, up 1 hour earlier in the mornings to practise scales 7 days a week, that left the evenings to practise chords and solos, some of you may think this is obsessional I like to think of it as determination, my goal was to master the beast. My practise at the moment is mainly speed exercises and trying to compose new licks, my playing to date is coming along nicely never satisfied always struggling to get better. I love playing blues and jazz acoustic and electric.
The best of luck to you all
BAZ

#16 gman

gman

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

I just finished the course. I haven't done any of the bonus material however. May start on that portion soon, but for now I plan on starting the L&MP. Just ordered a keyboard. I will post some music soon.
To answer Cindy's post.
I knew very very little about music when I started.
No, I couldn't play any melodies.
I couldn't read tab or music.
I knew a, e and d chords only but not fluid in changing from one to the other.
I had tried the F barre chord but was lousy at it and gave uo on barre chords.

I can now read tab and can read music. It takes a while still to read and figure out a complete song by the music part, but I can now figure it out by taking my time.
I have learned tons of chords and can also play the barre chords Steve taught us. I can play fingerstyle like Greensleeves, Frankie and Johnny, Love me Tender, Pacabels Cannon, You're So Beautiful, and others. I could play zero when I started.
My favorite part is like Dennis, solos and the scales. I took it fruther and also learned major/minor diatonoc scales plus the caged appreggio scales.
I knew nothing about music theory and now blow my wife's mind about the theory I have learned, which really isn't that much. She knows nothing about theory but she can play by ear and that blows me away. But I am slowly learning some of that also. However I still have a ton to learn about theory.
I started the course March 1, 2007. So that's a year and one month. I tried to practice a little each day if only 15 minutes. Some days I could get in an hour or two. A few times I would put in three hours, but only occassionly. If I had an extra 10 minutes waiting on someone or something I would practice some area of music. If I watched tv, I was playing scales on my electric without the amp. Any sitting or waiting around time, I had a guitar in my hand practicing something. If I didn't learn something perfect I would move on and go back to that section later. I found by not getting crazy about not learning but moving on and then going back it seemed to come to me easier.
I am not an expert but am not a beginner. I am satisfied where I am now but still play/practice every chance I get. I learn songs quicker than before. There are still songs and solos that I have to play a hundred times to get it sounding right. But I now know I can do it, which is a far cry from a year ago. I now know this can be done and whatever it takes just do it.
I am now learning some Eric Clapton songs and will play you some. But let me just get started on L&MP first. I also plan on learning some drums when that course comes out, but that is down the road. I want it all.
Thanks to Legacy and to this forum. I learned much from all of you. I didn't particapate much but used what everyone wrote to keep learning. And much thanks to Steve. You made it happen!
My thoughts are never give up. No matter where you are in your musical life, you can learn this instrument. Just keep the fingers moving.

#17 Cindy

Cindy

• Members
  • 5,151 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

Don and Dennis, many thanks for you time an information! (And Kent, you are more than welcome to respond when you finish, too!)

It's nice to know where people were when they first started this course and where it has led them now that they have completed it! This will be very motivating for many of us when we hit that "brick wall" which we all tend to do once in a while.

Hopefully some of the others will respond, too. Again, THANKS! :P :D 8) :wink:

MikeM's File Sharing Site for LMG students
Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art--Leonardo da Vinci

Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum

#18 musicraft

musicraft

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

I started to play guitar over 20 years ago with some classical lessons (only a few) then nothing until I picked up this course. I Completed the course in about 10 months....practicing 2 hours a day, 6 days a week. I learned to read music here, although I had a little of it during the classical days.

I can now read both notes and tab, however reading chords as notes is still hard unless the musical notation has the box above the staff.

Barre chords were the hardest to learn, but no problem now.

Now I'm studying only fingerstyle, which is all I want to play, but then I'm not looking to be a pro guitarist, just a hobbyist for my own enjoyment.

This is an interesting note: During the course I learned the Pentatonic scale and all the others and used a pick. Now I have to re-learn it all for fingerstyle, because even though I know where these notes are...the fingering is all different (obviously).

This is a great course and got me to a level I never would have achieved on my own. Fingerstyle is another whole training program in itself. Still a long way to go.

Don
When you're tired of Rockin, let fingerstyle do your talkin.

#19 Kent

Kent

Welcome Bot

• Members
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationJELLOLAND

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

I watched all the DVDs all the way through, including the Bonus ones, on both the LMG and LMP. Does that count? :lol:

I like to make sure all the DVDs work correctly before the warranty period is up. Plus I like to know where I’m headed so I can plan my trip through wonderland.

Once I complete the course, which might take years, I will report back. Until then, I will enjoy the journey.

#20 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

Good question Cindy...
I’m green with envy of Dennis for his dedication and commitment…
Way to go!... where did I put my guitar and dvd's now?

I’d also like to hear from Steve to see if he has any plans for someone like Dennis
Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users