Pedal press & release

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LeadFoot

LeadFoot

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

I need a point of clarification on when to release the pedal. I press the pedal when striking the chord, hold it for the duration of the pedal marker, and release BEFORE striking the next chord? Or do I release at the same time as striking the next chord, and immediately press the pedal down again? Am I clear enough? Oh, I'm on session 4.

#2 Little Trout

Little Trout

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hello,
Based on the chord progression in the book, you would most likely change the pedal right before you change chords.
For me, it depends on the piece of music I am playing. Some pieces require you to use the pedal with melodies but you have to change it often and other pieces with mostly chord progressions, you may want to change it before every new chord.

Bottom line is that the pedal is not overused with the music being played.
I hope this helps.

Learn and Master Guitar: Session 19

#3 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

Hello "LeadFoot,"

I need a point of clarification on when to release the pedal. I press the pedal when striking the chord, hold it for the duration of the pedal marker, and release BEFORE striking the next chord? Or do I release at the same time as striking the next chord, and immediately press the pedal down again? Am I clear enough? Oh, I'm on session 4.

Have a look at the material on page 4-3 of the Lesson Book in the original (2007) edition of the L&M Piano Course. It's available online at http://www.learnandm...essons_book.pdf.

Closely follow the pedal markings shown in the notation for a piece of music. For the notation on page 4-3 of the original Lesson Book, the sustain pedal should be pressed down immediately before the first notes in each measure. For that same notation, release the sustain pedal as close as possible to the end of last beat in each measure --- which should be only slightly before you are to press down on that pedal again in any following measure.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users