• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pennsylvaniajake

pennsylvaniajake

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationJohnstown PA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

I am enjoying the "The Song Hits Songbook" and DVD's very much. I really like the solo guitar arrangement of Silver Bells. Do you have any other songs that use the chord melody style of playing? I discovered this is what I would really love to lean to do.

#2 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Just start looking for Fingerstyle resources and solo song arrangements. There are a lot of resources out there that focus on this type of playing. Fingerstyle magainze used to be a great resource for these type of arrangments but I don't know if they are still going.

I'll try to think of some more resources for you.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

#3 Deogee

Deogee

Learning guitar--one song at a time

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

Just start looking for Fingerstyle resources and solo song arrangements. There are a lot of resources out there that focus on this type of playing. Fingerstyle magainze used to be a great resource for these type of arrangments but I don't know if they are still going.

- Steve

Or.........a certain guitar teacher we all know & love in Nashville might could get a fingerstyle spotlight course out to us Posted Image

(take your time Steve, no relapses in the hospital now........)
Lord, Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

#4 naccoachbob

naccoachbob

• Members
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationNacogdoches, Tx

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

- Steve

Or.........a certain guitar teacher we all know & love in Nashville might could get a fingerstyle spotlight course out to us Posted Image

(take your time Steve, no relapses in the hospital now........)

Something tells me you speak the truth here, like maybe this coming Fall :)

Play well,

Bob

Gear: Lucio Nunez "Balbina" hand crafted Classical Guitar

Jose Ramirez RA-C Classical

Eric Clapton Signature Strat "Blackie"

Les Paul Studio

Self-built Honduran Mahogany/Engelmann Spruce acoustic (in my pic)

Self-built mahogany/Sitka Spruce acoustic

Terada acoustic

MIM HSS Strat

Fender Twin Reverb Amp

#5 Roadrogue

Roadrogue

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

I agree about Silver Bells. I'm just getting started with it and I really want to learn that style. Unfortunately I just checked Fingerstyle Magazine's website and it looks rather dead in the water. Guess Steve didn't find any resources since January.

#6 derek

derek

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

I've made it to session 10 in the L&M course but, after some time off, I am working my way back through and am on lesson 6. This time through, I'm using the Song Hits to supplement the course work and it has been an excellent addition to my learning (although I don't love most of the song choices). I just hit Silver Bells and I feel like it it is a huge jump from everything I've learned so far. I think I am going to enjoy getting this one down, but it is coming much slower than the work I've done so far... it is like a new language for both of my hands. When I watch Steve play it in the training video, it looks so dang simple, but I just can't seem to get my head around how to make it happen so effortlessly. Am I missing something about how to think about this? Or, is it simply that I need to put in the hours?

#7 james09

james09

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

I've been wanting to learn figerstyle to. Im glad I found this thred :biggrin1:
Thanks!

#8 joelh

joelh

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

Late on this topic, but I am learning silver bells using a pick and trying to strum only the correct strings rather than fingerstyle. It has a nice jazzy feel when picked. I may go back and try it as a fingerstyle piece. I really like this chord melody arrangement
Current gear: Godin Summit, Eastmgan AC 222, Takamine Classical, Eastman AC 512, Loar lh-350-vs, Alvarez Yairi Dy 71

L&M Session: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#9 tk1978

tk1978

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

I just started learning Silver Bells last night and I must say it was the first time I played something really resembling music! It's so much fun to play and it sounds great too. This is the type of playing I really want to pursue down the line. I really have to look for more simple arrangements like that.

#10 pennsylvaniajake

pennsylvaniajake

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationJohnstown PA

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

Has anyone come across any new cord melody songs? 

Thanks

#11 Steve Krenz

Steve Krenz

Author: Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar

• Administrators
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Hey all,

Please join us at our new discussion board at https://www.guitarga....com/community/

We won't be monitoring this board moving forward.

- Steve

CHECK OUT OUR NEW GUITAR FORUM AT GUITARGATHERING.COM/COMMUNITY

Making the world a better place - one guitar player at a time.
If playing guitar were easy, everyone would do it. That's why it will always be easier to own an iPod than a Grammy.

SteveKrenz.com
Twitter | Facebook | Guitar Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users