Lesson Book 2nd Ed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LeadFoot

LeadFoot

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

I received the Piano course for Christmas, and am a little disappointed the printed lesson book included with it is of the 1st edition. There is a pdf file of the 2nd edition under resources. Before I do a page-by-page comparison to decide if I should have it printed at Staples, does anyone know what was changed from the 1st to the 2nd edition?

#2 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hello "LeadFoot,"

I received the Piano course for Christmas, and am a little disappointed the printed lesson book included with it is of the 1st edition. There is a pdf file of the 2nd edition under resources. Before I do a page-by-page comparison to decide if I should have it printed at Staples, does anyone know what was changed from the 1st to the 2nd edition?

Welcome to the L&M Piano community!

Do you know from where the L&M Piano Course you received as a gift was purchased? If it was recently purchased from Legacy Learning Systems you (or the gift-giver) should contact them and request a replacement package that is the latest 2009 edition of the course. If what you received was purchased elsewhere, you should contact that supplier (probably through the gift-giver) to determine if an exchange is possible.

It is my understanding that only the Lesson Book was revised from the 2007 edition for the 2009 edition of the course. A substantial number of changes were made in the Lesson Book, far too many to list here even if I knew exactly what all of those changes were. However, prior the printing of the 2009 edition, many of the suggested/needed changes were topics of posts to the L&M Piano forums. That information is still available on those forums and you could use the forum "Search" function to seek out that information by Session number, Play-Along CD track number, etc. To my knowledge, there is no posted/published compendium of the changes made for the 2009 edition of the Lesson Book. It is also worth noting that the 2009 edition of the Lesson Book is not devoid of errors, some of which were not part of the 2007 edition.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#3 LeadFoot

LeadFoot

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

Thank you, Mystery.

What do you know, I jumped the gun. I thought I had the 1st edition because the online version has "2nd Edition" on the inside cover and mine doesn't. But after searching the forum as you suggested, and comparing pages known to be different, I have the 2nd edition after all.

I see you are a very helpful resource on these forums. Let me thank you in advance for I will surely have questions as I get further into the course. I am on Session 3 and am ready to move on to Session 4.

#4 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationFar South Coast, NSW, Australia

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thank you, Mystery.

What do you know, I jumped the gun. I thought I had the 1st edition because the online version has "2nd Edition" on the inside cover and mine doesn't. But after searching the forum as you suggested, and comparing pages known to be different, I have the 2nd edition after all.

I see you are a very helpful resource on these forums. Let me thank you in advance for I will surely have questions as I get further into the course. I am on Session 3 and am ready to move on to Session 4.

My printed lesson book which came with the course I ordered clearly states "2nd Edition", and gives a copyright date of 2009. There are notation mistakes in this edition (Gymnopedie - Sess 15 as an example). It's unfortunate that Legacy have never been concerned enough to provided corrected material through the pdf downloads. The only good thing is that it keeps you on your toes, and makes you look at the charts with a grain of salt.

#5 LeadFoot

LeadFoot

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

My printed lesson book which came with the course I ordered clearly states "2nd Edition", and gives a copyright date of 2009. There are notation mistakes in this edition (Gymnopedie - Sess 15 as an example). It's unfortunate that Legacy have never been concerned enough to provided corrected material through the pdf downloads. The only good thing is that it keeps you on your toes, and makes you look at the charts with a grain of salt.

With mine, the inside cover has a copyright date of 2009, but is missing the "2nd Edition" lettering, and the "LESSON BOOK" doesn't have a shadow like it does in the online pdf. The back cover has a copyright date of 2010, "Printed in China," and a Hal Leonard trademark on the lower right corner. The course was ordered directly from www.LearnAndMaster.com during the Christmas holidays.

#6 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationFar South Coast, NSW, Australia

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

With mine, the inside cover has a copyright date of 2009, but is missing the "2nd Edition" lettering, and the "LESSON BOOK" doesn't have a shadow like it does in the online pdf. The back cover has a copyright date of 2010, "Printed in China," and a Hal Leonard trademark on the lower right corner. The course was ordered directly from www.LearnAndMaster.com during the Christmas holidays.

Interesting stuff. The back cover on my book says copyright 2009. No printed in China or Hal Leonard thing at all..

#7 CSprague

CSprague

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

OK; now I’m curious. What color is your package and how many DVDs are supplied?
It’s as if Legacy is dumping some of their surplus inventory, for example check Best Buy dot Com and you’ll see a version of the Piano, Drum, and Dance courses.

Cliff

#8 LeadFoot

LeadFoot

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

The package looks just like the pictures on the website. The flap with the piano keys is held to the box magnetically. Inside are 20 DVDs and 5 play-along CDs and the lesson book. The DVDs are labeled as session DVDs and workshop DVDs.

#9 CSprague

CSprague

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

That is what they are currently marketing. The first generation was 10 DVD with 5 play along CDs, you could purchase the workshops as optional extras. The second generation was 14 DVD, 5 play along CDs and the workshops were included in the 14 DVD setup. The latest includes everything of the first set with workshops for a total of 20 DVDs with the updated lesson book of the second. Nothing goes to waste. So you could say you have the latest available.

Cliff

#10 swingkyd

swingkyd

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have the 14 DVDs and 5 play along CDs...so according to this I don't have the "latest" one? Would I be missing something without the other four six DVDs? (Apparently I cannot count)

Swingkyd -
L&MG 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L&MP 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

#11 thescanada

thescanada

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationMCG, Ontario.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Mine says © 2007 legacy ... etc.

That was the first thing i checked. I have the old dvds (missing the last one, but thats another story), but im printing (At home) pages from the new book

as I progress, and putting them into a binder.  I dont think it matters - the old material (DVDS/CDs) works with the new book; im in session one, but ive watched up

to session 6 - "trying to study his hands and stuff, and just see whats coming, but not learning it, im sticking to where im at" - and the material has so far matched perfectly with the new 2nd edition.

Playing Fender Stratocaster HSS on Fender Frontman 25R(And marshall FX30 when 'bored') Love the clean tones ;)
Playing since 09/2010
(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 )

Posted Image

#12 zabadazh

zabadazh

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

With me, The back box cover has a copyright date of 2010, but book made in 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users