key signatures

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chromatic

chromatic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

I cant get my head around this at the minute.Im on session 8 Home on the Range now it says notice that the key signature has an F# C# and G# so every F,C and g is automatically sharped.Now i get why the key signature is there what i dont get is why them three sharps mean you play every F,C and G as a sharp.Hope this makes sence because i have searched through other posts on this subject but im unable to grasp it.So if there was four sharps or 2 flats in the key signature which notes would be played as that.PLEASE HELP......
M.U.F.C. THE REAL DEAL

#2 CSprague

CSprague

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

The Key Signature is the key of ‘A’. The key of ‘A’ does have three sharps F# C# & G#. Play the ‘A’ scale with all white key and notice the sound, then play it again inserting the required sharps and see the difference. I’ll attempt to attach the Circle of Fifths it’s well worth the time need to study. When the key signature is listed at the beginning of the score it identifies all the notes to be either sharpened or flatten unless cancelled by another key signature (which can happen) or the note has a natural symbol placed before it. In the natural case the note is played without sharps or flats for that instance.

Cliff

#3 chromatic

chromatic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

The Key Signature is the key of ‘A’. The key of ‘A’ does have three sharps F# C# & G#. Play the ‘A’ scale with all white key and notice the sound, then play it again inserting the required sharps and see the difference. I’ll attempt to attach the Circle of Fifths it’s well worth the time need to study. When the key signature is listed at the beginning of the score it identifies all the notes to be either sharpened or flatten unless cancelled by another key signature (which can happen) or the note has a natural symbol placed before it. In the natural case the note is played without sharps or flats for that instance.

Cliff

AHHHHH that magic circle is the real deal and explains alot.I was going to buy a book on the circle of fifths on ebay the other day think you got the wheel with it as well.It may well of been posted on here.Many thanks cliff for that download aswell its made it very clear and explains alot more aswell. :thumbsup:
M.U.F.C. THE REAL DEAL

#4 JoeD

JoeD

Fat Fingers

• Members
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

This will explain the circle of fifths a little better.
I did ask that my files were not given out to anyone when I posted them on the guitar board.
I might do something with them some day, who knows.
Cliff, if you would please remove it from you post.

Posted Image
Fat Fingers Joe

#5 chromatic

chromatic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

This will explain the circle of fifths a little better.
I did ask that my files were not given out to anyone when I posted them on the guitar board.
I might do something with them some day, who knows.
Cliff, if you would please remove it from you post.

Posted Image

HELLO JoeD
that explanation really does help also the circle of fifths chart looks very good.I had a quick look on the guitar forum and the second chart you did looked even better.Also i think cliff was just trying to help me out as my head was hurting with it.Just to let you know it can still be downloaded from the guitar forum but not the second chart with the i,ii,iii ect.cheers for the info...
M.U.F.C. THE REAL DEAL

#6 CSprague

CSprague

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Sorry JoeD, could not remember where I collected it, it was just hanging out on my HD so I posted it as published with no mods. Sorry to offend. It has been removed as requested. I use the ones in my Apps so I'll be removing it from my HD also.

Again Sorry

Cliff

#7 JoeD

JoeD

Fat Fingers

• Members
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

All is good guys! NO WORRIES :surprisedwarrior:
Fat Fingers Joe

#8 nedrahej

nedrahej

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:01 AM

Remember that scales are a series of steps. Whole or half steps, so the major scale is:

W - W - H - W - W - W - H

C -  D - E -  F -  G - A -  B

There are 12 half steps in a octave scale.

#9 dodobird

dodobird

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

Google ......"circle of fifths" as well as "Order of sharps" & "order of Flats" ........EDLY'S Music book Steve has in his Store covers this area as well or Jonathan Harnum's Theory book! Enjoy!

#10 sragone

sragone

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:45 PM

One thing I found very helpful in addition to the L&MP manual, was the Alfred Book "The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences". I know it has helped me tremendously in solving the questions concerning the handling of different key signatures in written sheet music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users