• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 triple-oh

triple-oh

• Members
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationCannabis Creek Colo.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Anyone have a comment on using filters on the camera vs using photoshop filters?

"If wishes were horses,beggars would ride".

#2 MarthaT

MarthaT

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

It depends on what filters you are using, I've honestly found photoshop to be able to replicate a lot of effects that filters can do quite nicely, although there are some filters that would help out immensely, such as a circular polarizer.
Posted Image

#3 Cindy

Cindy

• Members
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

I have Photoshop although I'm not very proficient with it. A friend who uses it more gave me the impression that every time an image is manipulated or edited, it lowers the file size? Something to that effect. Since I learned to use filters back in the 1990s, my preference is to continue using them now. I still have a lot to learn about digital cameras since I'm much more familiar with film, but doesn't the white balance also offer some way to alter the overall color of the image in certain situations when the pic is taken without adding a camera filter?

MikeM's File Sharing Site for LMG students
Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art--Leonardo da Vinci

Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum

#4 greenmatter

greenmatter

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Photoshop is a powerful piece of software with an abundant amount of filters and plug ins…so it really depends what kind of effect you are going for…
With that said I enjoy the experimenting with filters physically as it has a more organic feel perhaps.
Don't Worry Be Happy!Posted Image:)

#5 triple-oh

triple-oh

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:39 AM

I have Photoshop although I'm not very proficient with it. A friend who uses it more gave me the impression that every time an image is manipulated or edited, it lowers the file size? Something to that effect. Since I learned to use filters back in the 1990s, my preference is to continue using them now. I still have a lot to learn about digital cameras since I'm much more familiar with film, but doesn't the white balance also offer some way to alter the overall color of the image in certain situations when the pic is taken without adding a camera filter?

You are right about white balance having an effect on color. I guess what I was trying to determine was if photoshop color filters like the warming and cooling filter did exactly the same thing as using those types of filters on the camera, or if there was an advantage to using a filter on the camera or using photoshop filters. I can see where the file size would be effected but I wasn't really too concerned with that at this stage.

#6 Vince Wallace

Vince Wallace

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

There's no advantage to either if the outcome is what you're looking for! =) One happens "in-camera" the other happens in post. The only difference is there is more control in post with the amount of "filtering" added, while optical filtering is more limited - best way to know is just do some comparison tests and see what happens! :biggrin1:

#7 triple-oh

triple-oh

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:56 AM

After playing around I found a big advantage using the photoshop filters you can use a mask and have the filter effect only part of the image you want. For example you can enhance the color of water with a blue filter or mountains with a warming filter and not have it effect the rest of the image. Plus as Vince stated you can select just  how much filter you add with a slider and you don't need to carry around any filters.

White balance in camera raw can give you the effect of a filter but it does it to the entire photo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users