• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ariang

ariang

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA middle west

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hello All' On page # 23 the 'C' fingering for "Lean On Me" is 1-3-5. I am not suggesting that 'easy' is the way to go---I am suggesting that a fingering of 1-2-5 is the most logical!

Thank You

#2 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

Hello "ariang,"

Hello All' On page # 23 the 'C' fingering for "Lean On Me" is 1-3-5. I am not suggesting that 'easy' is the way to go---I am suggesting that a fingering of 1-2-5 is the most logical!

Thank You

In the 2007 edition of the L&M Piano Course Lesson Book, no such fingering was indicated in the notation for "Lean on Me." In general, the recommended fingering for first inversion triads is 1-2-5, not 1-3-5 as printed in the 2009 edition of the L&M Piano LB. Your "suggestion" is excellent!

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#3 ariang

ariang

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hello "ariang,"

Thank You

In the 2007 edition of the L&M Piano Course Lesson Book, no such fingering was indicated in the notation for "Lean on Me." In general, the recommended fingering for first inversion triads is 1-2-5, not 1-3-5 as printed in the 2009 edition of the L&M Piano LB. Your "suggestion" is excellent!

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#4 ariang

ariang

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

To Whoever You Are

I thank you for the information concerning '1-2-5' You have just made my day! Now i can continue with "Lean On Me" without a sence of guilt.

Ariang

#5 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:02 AM

Hello Ariang,

To Whoever You Are

I thank you for the information concerning '1-2-5' You have just made my day! Now i can continue with "Lean On Me" without a sence of guilt.

Ariang

You're quite welcome! I'm pleased to have helped you.

Thank you for the feedback.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#6 CSprague

CSprague

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

Interesting; I can see how some printed material might be misleading or incorrect at the time of print, but what should you do if the instructor clearly demonstrates and advises to do it a certain way.
Mystery is correct in that the common method for the first inversion triad is 1-2-5 for the right hand and it is 1-3-5 for the left hand. But do you deviate for the taught method so early in the process or do you wait until the instructor tells you that you can explore and personalize certain methods?
Would this lead to bad habits later on?
Is this a method of stretching the span of your fingers?
Did the instructor learn this way and is just passing it on naturally?

So many questions and no instructor to answer them

Thanks Mystery for being there.

Cliff

#7 Mystery

Mystery

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:13 AM

Hello Cliff and All Other Readers of This Topic Thread,

... Mystery is correct in that the common method for the first inversion triad is 1-2-5 for the right hand and it is 1-3-5 for the left hand. ...
Cliff

Cliff, thanks for the clarification regarding the recommended fingering for each hand when playing first inversion triads.

It is indeed regrettable that Will Barrow is obviously no longer a participant in the L&M Piano forums. His contributions to those forums have been very informative and supportive.

Make mellifluous music!

Mystery

#8 Tortuga

Tortuga

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorth of Seattle, Washington

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

Hi everyone, I know this is an old Topic but I am new and as a matter of fact was working this same Chord Inversion this morning. I found it easier and more comfortable to play 1-2-5 instead of 1-3-5.

Thanks for the advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users