• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ihon

ihon

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi all

Jaimee and Mark show the basic Rumba (man's part) as Slow (left foot forward-right foot close) - Quick/Quick (right foot right-left foot close) etc. My Fred Astaire Studio teaches the man's part as Quick/Quick (left foot left - right foot close)- Slow (left foot forward). Essentially, this ends up with J & M starting forward on 1 and the studio teaching forward on 3. Both claim that they are teaching American Style Rumba. Any thoughts on why the difference?

John

#2 ihon

ihon

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Found this offering on another forum:

really interesting little bit on this excerpted from the newsgroup rec.arts.dance and posted to www eijkhout.net/rad/dance_specific/rumba.html
"To confuse things further, there are actually two accepted timings for American style rumba.

The Arthur Murray schools use slow, quick quick: 1-2, 3, 4. The basic movement is a box step. I've seen this called "square rumba" in England.

The Fred Astaire schools use quick quick slow: 1, 2, 3-4.

And, of course, the international style has the 'slow' spanning two bars: 2, 3, 4-1 (with the hip movement on 1). Victor Sylvester, being English, covered the international style in his book. Few published books cover the American style since the Murray and Astaire chains seem to like keeping their syllabi secret."

and more:

"The Fred Astaire schools use quick quick slow: 1, 2, 3-4.

This is know as Guaracha. The oral history I been given is that the Fred's chain looking for a gimmick to get more people into their studios jumped on Guaracha in the fifties and called it the new Rumba. Musically the Murray version is correct for the typical "rumbas" played in competiton. Because Fred's owned USBCs they decided that QQS would be the rhythm of choice." Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users