• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 zuberb

zuberb

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:32 AM

I may drive up for the 2012 gathering. I live in GA, so I can get there in 6-7hrs. I agree that the Vegas idea is silly. I've been there so many times on business, I don't even see the appeal anymore. Talk about a money trap.

Besides, think about the people who have to put it all together. They already have connections in Nashville, knowledge of the area, and local resources to put on a better event. It's a no-brainer.
- Bryan

Currently in session: 1 2 3 4a 4b 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Gear:_.Johnson JG-620-CS w/ Fishman Matrix Infinity
SPACE_Fender Telecaster
SPACE_Sierra ST10 travel guitar
SPACE_VOX V9168R Amp
SPACE_Presonus Audiobox USB

"A vision without resources is a hallucination." - LG Lynch

#62 John B

John B

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

Any dates yet for the 2012 Guitar Gathering? Looking forward to going next year!
John B
Repeating course with Bonus DVD's

#63 BDH

BDH

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Ohio

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

Any dates yet for the 2012 Guitar Gathering?

John, just want to warn you that I intend to be first on the list for 2012!!! :happywarrior:
Brian

#64 John B

John B

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

Any dates yet for the 2012 Guitar Gathering?

John, just want to warn you that I intend to be first on the list for 2012!!! :happywarrior:

Sounds good Brian! Looking forward to seeing you there! I hope all is well! :surprisedwarrior:
John B
Repeating course with Bonus DVD's

#65 Eracer_Team -DougH

Eracer_Team -DougH

More Gear than Playing Tallent

• Validating
  • 7,239 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

Hello all,

I've been reluctant to write this email but I think I need to let everyone know that we will be taking a year off and there will be no Guitar Gathering in 2012 but we will be back up and running in 2013.

I realize this is disappointing news for some. I am certainly disappointed as well. But above that I really want to figure out how to make a large live event like this much more successful for all of us.

Here are the issues involved that led Legacy and I to this decision of taking a year off to rethink and revamp the Guitar Gathering conference to make it more successful in effectiveness, attendance, profitability, and energy expended for future years.

EFFECTIVENESS - How much is it helping people?

I think we have put on one heck of a guitar conference for the last few years. It's the kind of conference that I would love to go to - great guest artists offering inspiring and educational workshops, times of getting to know each other, times of playing together and honing our skills together, and a relaxed fun time to get up and play in front of people.

We've had some great conferences that people are staying away from by the droves. It's confusing to me. I am concerned that obviously we're not scratching an itch that people are having through this type of an event. And some thought needs to be given back at the drawing board on how to make an event that draws people and is helpful to them in a much greater way.

ATTENDANCE - Why are people coming? and Why are people not coming?

Yes, attendance this year was down. I knew this was going to be the case months before the conference happened in June.

Is it the economy? Well, probably that has a lot to do with it.

Is it the registration price of the event? I don't really think so. We raised up the price slightly to cover the increased costs of the new hotel. But we are still offering a 4 day conference filled with some of the best guitarists on the planet in a variety of styles for about $65 registration per day. (Although, I realize, there are a lot of costs that attendees have to consider beyond the registration price - like travel, hotel, etc.)

Are people even interested these days in coming to multi-day conference like events? Is it of value to them vs their personal costs to attend?

PROFITABILITY - The conference has to, at least, break even and hopefully even make a few bucks in the future.

Up to this point, it hasn't been a profitable venture. It takes a lot of money to put on a conference like this. We've got to at least break even or make a bit in order to balance out the tremendous effort involved in putting this on. (If it were up to me I'd invite you all over to the house for free to spend the week, although Paulette might have a problem with this.) Legacy, who has graciously humored my vision for putting on these conferences needs to feel that they are profitable - of which they have not ever truly been.

ENERGY EXPENDED - I'm pooped and am going to need future help in the planning and organization of these type of events.

In the past I have taken the lead entirely for these conferences serving as visionary, planner, conference administrator, artist, speaker, hotel intermediary, janitor and everything else in between. It became abundantly clear to me this conference that I have got to have significant help from Legacy, their staff, and volunteers to help put this on.

(Perhaps, this occurred to me as I was changing my flat tire by the side of the road at midnight the night before the conference with my car loaded to the brim with conference materials on my way to the hotel knowing that even after my 14 hour day already and after I changed the tire, made it to the hotel, unloaded the stuff, setup the registration area, checked into the hotel and finally got to bed I was only going to get about 3 hours of sleep before I needed to be back up again and going all day long teaching for the conference that people have traveled and paid money to be a part of.)

All that to say, we are going to be taking 2012 off to re-plan future conferences. I realize this is disappointing. (It was very disappointing to me as well.) But I truly want to figure out how to make these events as helpful as possible for you the attendee, as cost-effective for Legacy, and as rewarding as it can be for all of us.

We've got a good thing going. I believe in it deeply and want to make it better. Yes, we are definitely planning on doing something bigger and better in 2013. And in 2012, we will continue to experiment with different avenues to reach out to you to help you learn.

Bottom line, I'm a teacher. If these conferences aren't helping very many people then I want to find out why and what can help you learn. If these conferences can help you learn (and I think they can) then I want to figure out how to do them as effectively as possible.

- Steve

Eracer_Team (DougH)
Eracer_Team Reverb-Nation Music Site
Eracer_Team Sound-Cloud Music Site

Words of Guitar Wisdom from Steve Krenz

LMG Live Lesson Archive

Access MikeM's LMG Yahoo group here: Mike's Yahoo LMG Support Group Site with Special Group Member Downloads
There are courses corrections of the original manual, charts, music, and guitar pro settings

Download LMG Manual's and Other Useful LMG Files Click Here

Sessions "somewhere between Sessions 8, 9 and 11"

#66 JRD1

JRD1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:19 AM

Nashville is my vote. Best in class gets a song at Tootsies.

#67 twiiistch

twiiistch

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

why not switzerland in the nice alps ? :whistling:
L & M sessions # 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Started session #12 : 15.10.12

#68 J45

J45

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationVirginia USA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

Heres to 2013...:electricguitar:
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom, Larrivee L-03R Acoustic; Fender American Standard Strat; Fender Blacktop Tele; Fender 52' Vintage Hot Rod Tele; Fender Super Sonic 22; Fender Mustang II Amp; Ultrasound AG-30 Acoustic Amp; Roland RD-700NX Digital Piano; Nikon D7000 DSLR

May You Be In Heaven A Half Hour Before The Devil Knows You're Dead...

#69 prz

prz

• Members
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

why not switzerland in the nice alps ? :whistling:

ehh, cool, as long you all don't want to stay at my place :surprisedwarrior: I'm for it.

#70 markdelaware

markdelaware

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDela -- where???

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

Steve,

I completely understand your exhaustion and your desire to make Legacy Days better and bigger and maybe leap a tall building or two just for fun.

Please permit me the honor of sharing a bit my story and offer to you what I can:

Legacy 2010 and Legacy 2011 were my only vacations those two calendar years.

Each meant an incredible amount to me personally.

Late 2009 my wife passed away following an extended cancer battle (stage 4 the last 8 years).
Legacy 2010 was my first real vacation in years. It felt strange, almost too selfish, to plan such a trip for just myself. It was awkward being a new widower and traveling solo to a new city.
However, once I arrived and met you and some of the attendees, I felt like I was finally home. How blessed I was to be surrounded by many who had the same passion for music, guitars, and God!

The month after Legacy Days 2010, I nearly died in a motorcycle accident. During the months of hospitalization and rehab, the people and events at the conference were the greatest and clearest positive memories I had. In the middle of pain, frustration, etc. a little memory of that week would always bring a smile to my face.

When the 2011 event was announced, it added hope and became my main physical goal to press toward as I had to recover from the multiple fractures, 11 surgeries, and concussions (oh yeah and atrophied muscles from left leg and right arm being immobilized for numerous weeks). Though I was still recovering and even a short day wore me out due to hobbling down the street to eat, it was my reward for pushing through all the prior months. Again I was blessed.

I know others also greatly enjoy Legacy Days and I sincerely hope no one else has such a ridiculous story to tell as mine. Each has their own reason for being there, their own memories, and their unique thoughts on returning.

As humans we tend to lose appreciation for things that become routine. Perhaps a year off will help all of us, not just you and the fine Legacy staff, rethink the individual value of Legacy Days versus focus on lesser issues of which city, hotel, artists, vendors, restaurants, etc.

After all that being stated, at this point in time, I offer my support and volunteer in whatever capacity you need for a successful 2013 event. God has used it mightily to bless me and I want to do whatever i can to bless others through it as well.

Mark

PS I am thoroughly enjoying the weekly Live lessons as your heart for teaching is such a powerful inspiration.

#71 sherwood12

sherwood12

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationKissimmee, Florida

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Steve,

The gathering in 2010 and 2011 were my vacations for the year. Due to work schedule and other demands there isn't enough time for playing with other musicians. (Currently working on this issue)

Steve I am aware of how much energy you expended during our gatherings. I saw this more in 2011 than in 2010. Seeing you at an early breakfast and jamming with students after midnight well... it all comes at a price. If you decide to incorporate Mark's idea of using volunteers add TWO more names to your list.

I need to state that it was during the gatherings I experienced a growth spurt as a guitar player. I think the preparation and the pressure (fun pressure) of playing were catalysts that caused the change. The spirit of learning and caring was very evident.

No gathering this year is a total disappointment. Even my wife (non musician) thinks our little group is comprised of some people that are of the highest quality and has expressed disappointment in the loss of this year.

However, I do understand and support your decision. See you Tuesday night!

Patrick

#72 Delbert UK

Delbert UK

• Members
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire England

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

I wish you all a GREAT 2013 Gathering.
Where ever and what ever you are and do, you will get out of it exactly 10 times what you put in.

:swingband:

Regards,
DB

Delbert.
What is a guitar without a good curtain behind it?

Yamaha APX4 ... Sunburst
Les Paul Standard .... Translucent Purple (Pink!)
Fender Reissue 1952 Telecaster ... Butterscotch
Washburn Rover .. black

Kapua Ukulele .... Red
...and
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro .... Faded Cherry Burst

#73 Resurrected

Resurrected

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, United Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

I wish you all a GREAT 2013 Gathering.
Where ever and what ever you are and do, you will get out of it exactly 10 times what you put in.

:swingband:

Regards,
DB

Still alive then DB? :electricguitar:
http://www.re-warwick.co.uk/

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right - H. L. Mencken

The blues are the roots; Everything else is the´╗┐ fruits.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

#74 Delbert UK

Delbert UK

• Members
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire England

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hehehe...
Oh yes.
Thank goodness I was away from the fold while this .. er... discussion was at it's peak.
I don't think I would have helped.
:pianodancer:

Now the dust has settled....

What's wrong with LV?
Sounds ok to me.
Gambling and prostitution.

How much would they pay me though!

:budumching:

The curtains need replacing.

Regards,
DB

Delbert.
What is a guitar without a good curtain behind it?

Yamaha APX4 ... Sunburst
Les Paul Standard .... Translucent Purple (Pink!)
Fender Reissue 1952 Telecaster ... Butterscotch
Washburn Rover .. black

Kapua Ukulele .... Red
...and
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro .... Faded Cherry Burst

#75 gavind1

gavind1

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hi Db, you ain't going next year? Maybe busy with other things then?
Washburn Oscar Schmidt Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users